Genealogy Gems: News from the Fort Wayne Library, No. 19, September 30, 2005
From: genealogygems (genealogygemsfriendsofallencounty.org)
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 16:02:26 -0700 (PDT)
Genealogy Gems: News from the Fort Wayne Library

No. 19, September 30, 2005

 In this issue:

* Family History Month and the Records of Our Families

*Transforming a German Place Name into a Research Lead

*State Records – North Carolina Core Collection

*Preservation Tip of the Month

*Hotel of the month

*Area Calendar of Events

*ACPL Librarians on Tour

*Driving directions to the Library

*Parking at the Library

*Queries for the Department

Family History Month and the Records of Our Families

by Curt B. Witcher

Another Family History Month is upon us--and I truly hope it is much more
than "just another" Family History Month for you! The Historical Genealogy
Department, in cooperation with a number of local organizations and
individuals, is offering a full calendar of things one can do to be active
in genealogy and family history discovery this coming month.

 One can become a more successful searcher of our online catalog,
Ancestry.com <http://Ancestry.com>, and HeritageQuestOnline by attending the
computer training sessions; one can learn how scrapbooking can become an
exciting way to preserve and present family history information; one can get
special, one-on-one assistance in British Isles research; and so much more. If
you're interested in taking a refresher course in getting started on your
genealogy for the first time, learning how to begin writing your family
story, planning a successful research trip, or learning about your family's
health history, we've got something for you. A complete list of the October
programs will be available next week at the following website: <
www.acpl.lib.in.us/genealogy/programs.html<http://www.acpl.lib.in.us/genealogy/programs.html>
>. We'd be pleased to have you join us.

 The FriendsOfAllenCounty.org website is becoming increasingly
full-featured. Recently two federated search options were added to the site. A
federated search allows one to search across multiple databases for the same
name. A researcher can engage this feature by clicking on the "Search Site"
button.

 One will find a "Search Site" button on the main
FriendsOfAllenCounty.orgwebpage. Clicking
on that button will bring up a screen that explains the search option and
provides one with a box in which to key a name of interest. The search
executed by the "Search Site" option is a "fuzzy" or character-string
search. Hence, searching for the name "Williams" will give one "Williams"
and "Williamson" results.

 The "Search Site" button on the main FriendsOfAllenCounty.org webpage will
search all the databases on the website. A second "Search Site" button found
on the "Fort Wayne and Allen County, Indiana Databases" webpage will search
all the Fort Wayne and Allen County databases. This is helpful if one wants
to confine one's search results to just Allen County, Indiana data.

 Our thoughts remain with those struggling to pull their lives back together
after the two ravaging storms that hit our gulf coast states. We all know so
many individuals and organizations that are doing their part for the
recovery effort. The staff of the Allen County Public Library have donated
thousands of dollars directly to affected families and through the Red
Cross. Our library has also adopted a small public library in
Louisianacompletely devastated by the storms. Our
goal is to be instrumental in getting them back on their feet and serving
the public again. Attendees at the recent Federation of Genealogical
Societies conference in Salt Lake City donated hundreds of dollars to
America's Second Harvest, Inc. as well as hundreds of pounds of soap,
shampoo, and personal hygiene products that were shipped directly to relief
sites. Those interested in family history continue to demonstrate in
meaningful ways they are also interested in families.

 Not to be lost on those of us who are passionate about family and local
history is the huge loss of personal, public, and private organizational
records caused by these storms. If we are serious about preserving our
heritage, discovering who our ancestors are, and sharing the details of
their lives, we must be equally serious about seeing that the records in our
communities *and* in our own homes, churches, and offices of organizations
with which we are involved are preserved in a manner that will ensure their
survival through disasters of all types.

 One of the best ways to ensure that information is preserved is to store
true copies of the data in several different places, and sometimes even in
several different forms. Members of your family should have copies of the
family record pages from your family bible as well as back-ups to your
computerized genealogy files. Your church, school, and local governmental
entities should have their records regularly microfilmed or digitized by
reputable companies that provide high quality products in standard formats. And
then copies should be placed in libraries and archives. The Historical
Genealogy Department welcomes being the preservation archive for copies of
your family and local histories. Even your businesses and area associations
should take appropriate care to preserve their historical records.

 It is up to us to ensure the records that document our heritage survive. Our
descendants will expect nothing less from us.

Transforming a German Place Name into a Research Lead

by Don Litzer

If you have the name of a German ancestral place of origin, and especially
if you believe that you know the region in Germany from where your ancestors
came, several sources may help in verifying that location and furthering
your research.

 Spotting a place name on a map is important, but only a first step; you
need to place it in a context with record sources. For German research, this
means identifying the location of the church your ancestors would have
attended (important because civil registration was not universal in
Germanyuntil 1876) and administrative territories responsible for your
ancestors'
vital and other civil records.

 For years, the standard source for such research was Charles M. Hall's
Atlantic Bridge to Germany (929 H14a), published in ten volumes from 1974 to
1997. Each volume of this ground-breaking series provides a historical
overview, a gazetteer of place-names linking variously to church and civil
jurisdictions and records locations, and maps.

 The Atlantic Bridge to Germany series is now being produced by Linda
Herrick and Wendy Uncapher of Origins. A new level of polish and
thoroughness is evident in their revised editions for Baden (943.46 H434a),
Alsace-Lorraine (944.38 H434a), and Pomerania (on order). The new editions
include 1:100,000 scale maps from the Karte des Deutschen Reiches collection
representing Germany as it existed prior to World War I, and which include
all locations listed in the works' gazetteers. The upgraded historical
overviews, rich with maps and diagrams explaining administrative history,
territorial changes, and other genealogically significant information, are
capped off by useful bibliographies.

 If a German village/town/city has its own church, the Atlantic Bridge to
Germany refers you to available LDS-microfilmed records. However, if a
village's residents belonged to another community's church, Atlantic Bridgeto
Germany won't indicate that church's location; you're still uncertain
whether useful parish records are available.

 Kevan Hansen's Map Guide to German Parish Registers, discussed by John
Beatty in July's Genealogical Gems, addresses this need. Each volume of
Hansen's series, following a brief historical overview, has two sets of
outline maps (one each for Lutheran and Catholic churches, Germany's
principal confessions, with a narrative covering other religions). Each map,
which shows the approximate parish boundaries in an Amt (local civil
district), is accompanied by a list of the Amt's parishes including, if its
records are filmed, the LDS number for the parish's first microfilm, and a
list of the Amt's communities cross-referenced to the parishes by which
they're served. At the end of each volume is an alphabetical index to place
names.

 Map Guide to German Parish Registers (943 H198m) have been published for
Hessen (Darmstadt), Baden, Mecklenburg (Schwerin and Strelitz),
Schleswig-Holstein and Oldenburg, Wuerttemberg, and Hessen-Nassau.

 Options exist for regions not covered by the Hansen series. Brigitte
Kreplin's Die Gemeinde und Wohnplatze Pommerns (943.16 K88g) links places to
parishes and civil jurisdictions in Pomerania. Parishes of Ostfriesland (
943.52 P219) cross-references places to parishes. For Bavaria, Saxony, and
Prussia's provinces, pre-World War I gazetteers, collectively referred to as
town gazetteers or Gemeindelexikonen, indicate the parish affiliation of
small communities. These are available from LDS on microfilm; see Larry O.
Jensen, A Genealogical Handbook for German Research, Volume I (943 J53ga),
pages 61-70, and Fay Dearden's The German Researcher: How to Get the Most
Out of an LDS Family History Center (929 D33ga), page 38. For other regions,
an area search, beginning with Meyers Orts- und Verkehrs-Lexikon des
Deutschen Reiches (943 W93m) is recommended.

State Records – North Carolina Core Collection

by Roberta Ridley

35mm Microfilm Collection of 4318 reels

Reel Guide: North Carolina Records, Core Collection – call no. 975.6 N181N,
v.1

 It has been said that "nothing could be finer than to be in Carolina...."
and it may be true, but it's even better if you are fortunate enough to have
ancestors from North Carolina. If that is the case, we would like to
introduce you to the North Carolina Core Collection. This extensive
collection of microfilmed county court house records has been preserved and
made available by the North Carolina State Archives. The records have a
chronological range from 1659 through 1977, but most fall between the mid
1700s and early 1900s.

 Researchers drawn to North Carolina for ancestor information can view a
cornucopia of data types. Sample record groups featured include the
following: apprentice bonds and indentures, bastardy bonds, births, court
minutes, deaths, deeds, dowers, flesh marks, land sold for taxes, military
records, Negro cohabitation certificates, real estate conveyances, tax
records, wills and other types of probate records of estates, such as
administrators' accounts, and guardian bonds. One listing for Gates
Countyis "Registration of Slaves to work in Great Dismal Swamp,
1847–1861." Of
course, the offerings and time periods covered by each record will vary from
one county to another.

 Marriages are among the most valuable record groups and include "Colored
Marriage Registers 1839-1969" and marriage bonds, which begin as early as
the year 1741. A microfiche statewide index for these marriage bonds
provides the groom's name, bride's name, date of bond, bondsman and witness
names. The records themselves are found within the county groupings in
alphabetical order by surname. A marriage bond is a keepsake piece of
history that can provide valuable details on ancestors, such as parents of
the bride and groom, and names of bondsmen and witnesses, who may also be
related. Many of the microfilmed bonds are completely hand written and
others are on printed forms; all are copies of the original documents.

 These are but a few select items from the amazing North Carolina Core
Collection. Visit us to explore that, along with our supplemental series of
North Carolina Baptist Church Records and federal Tax Assessment Lists
(1864-1866) for the state, and you will be amazed with your North
Carolinafindings.

PRESERVATION TIP OF THE MONTH

ACPL's Preservation Technician Becky Schipper offers advice on conserving
your documents.

 A very handy and inexpensive guide for preservation of various types of
materials is, "A Preservation Guide: Saving the Past and the Present for the
Future," by Barbara Sagraves. It is published by Ancestry (1995). Find it at
ACPL at 929 Sa18p.

HOTEL OF THE MONTH

Each issue we will feature a local hotel, for visitors from out-of-town.

 Hampton Inn and Suites Ft. Wayne North

5702 Challenger Parkway

Fort Wayne 46818

 Hampton Inn is a large chain featuring attractive rates, and most people
know what to expect from them. The rooms have hair dryer, coffee maker,
iron, complimentary movies and internet access (WiFi in lobby). Hot
breakfast and newspaper included each morning. There are 90 rooms, some of
which are suites, an indoor pool and exercise room. Well located for the
mall and restaurants, some of which will deliver to the Hampton. The library
is an easy fifteen minute drive away.

 ***************************************

AREA CALENDAR OF EVENTS

***************************************

Allen County Public Library

3rd floor atrium display area

Passages: Immigration

 Allen County Genealogical Society of Indiana (ACGSI)

Refreshments at 6:30, meeting at 7:00. Questions: contact Marge Graham, 260
672-2585 or gramar57 [at] aol.com

Wednesday, October 12, 2005 Aboite branch ACPL: John Martin Smith. "Black
Legs, Regulators and the Hanging of Gregory McDougall; was your ancestor a
black leg or regulator?"

 Computer Users Group

Wednesday, October 19: Aboite branch ACPL, 7:00.

 Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR)

First Wednesday of each month in the Genealogy Department 9am – 7pm.

Expert help from members of the DAR in becoming a member of that
organization

 ***************************************

ACPL LIBRARIANS ON TOUR

**************************************

Curt Witcher

8 October: Shelbyville, IN, Shelbyville Town Hall (54 W. Broadway Suite 10),
Indiana Genealogical Society Management Seminar, "Your Society Wants You!
Effective Recruiting Strategies for Genealogical Societies"

 9 October: Fremont, OH, Sandusky County Kin Hunters, Sandusky Township
Hall, 2207 Oak Harbor Rd. (North St. Rt. 19) Fremont, Ohio, "Effective Use
of the Allen County Public Library's Historical Genealogy Department"

 22 October: Niles District Library, 620 East Main Street, Niles, MI, Local
History and Genealogy Day, "Doing Effective Genealogical Research in
Libraries" and "Mining the Mother Lode: Using Periodical Literature for
Genealogical Research."

 27 October: Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN, "Using Military
Records for Genealogical Research."

 19 November: Arizona State Genealogical Society Fall Seminar, Viscount
Hotel, 4855 E. Broadway, Tucson, AZ, "Using Military Records for
Genealogical Research," "Effective Use of the Allen County Public Library,"
"The Road Not Taken: Mega Internet Sites for Genealogists off the Beaten
Path," "Doing the History Eliminates the Mystery!"

 Ryan Taylor

8 October: Westfield Genealogical Group, Westfield, IN

 KEEP IN MIND: October is family history month, and ACPL genealogical
librarians and other local genealogical professionals will be offering
programs on many topics at the library.

 ***************************************

DRIVING DIRECTIONS TO THE LIBRARY

***************************************

Wondering how to get to the library? Our exciting transition location is 200
E. Berry, Fort Wayne, Indiana. We will be at this location until late 2006. We
would enjoy having you visit the Genealogy Department.

 To get directions from your exact location to 200 E. Berry, Fort Wayne,
Indiana, visit this link at MapQuest:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&countryid=250&addtohistory=&searchtab=address&searchtype=address&address=200+E+Berry+St&city=Fort+Wayne&state=IN&zipcode=46802-2706&search=++Search++&finditform=1

 From the South

Exit Interstate 69 at exit 102. Drive east on Jefferson Blvd. into downtown.
Turn left on Barr Street to Berry Street. The library is located on the
corner of Berry and Barr Streets.

 From the North

Exit Interstate 69 at exit 112. Drive south on Coldwater Road, which merges
into Clinton Street. Continue south on Clinton, the library will be on your
left when you cross Berry Street.

 From the West

Using US 30:

Drive into town on US 30. US 30 turns into Goshen Road. Coming up to an
angled street (State Street.) make an angled left turn. Turn right on Wells
Street. Go south on Wells to Wayne Street. Left on Wayne Street. When you
cross Clinton, the library will be on your left on Wayne Street.

 Using US 24:

After crossing under Interstate 69, follow the same directions as from the
South.

 From the East

Follow US 30/then 930 into and through New Haven, under an overpass into
downtown Fort Wayne. You will be on Washington Blvd. when you get into
downtown. Turn right on Barr Street. Turn left on Berry Street. The library
is on your left on Berry Street.

 ***************************************

PARKING AT THE LIBRARY

***************************************

Lot in front of the library, east side of the lot.

Available for short-term library parking. Limited to one hour.

There are handicapped parking spots near the door.

 Tippman Parking Garage

Clinton and Wayne Streets. Across from the library, however the skybridge is
NOT accessible. Hourly parking, $1.25 per hour up to a maximum of $5.00 per
day.

 Park Place Lot

Covered parking on Barr Street at Main Street. This lot is one block away
from the library. Hourly parking Monday through Friday, 9am to 6pm.

 Street (metered) parking on Wayne Street and Berry Street.

On the street you plug the meters 8am – 5pm, weekdays only. It is free to
park on the street after 5pm and on the weekends.

 Visitor center/Grand Wayne center

Covered parking at Washington and Clinton Streets. This is the Hilton Hotel
parking lot that also serves as a day parking garage. For hourly parking,
7am – 11 pm, charges are .50 for the first 45 minutes, then $1.00 per
hour. There
is a flat $2.00 fee between 5pm and 11pm.

 ***************************************

GENEALOGY DEPARTMENT QUERIES

***************************************

The Historical Genealogy Department hopes you find this newsletter
interesting. Thank you for subscribing. We cannot, however, answer personal
research emails written to the e-zine address. The department houses a
Research Center that makes photocopies and conducts research for a fee.

 If you have a general question about our collection, or are interested in
the Research Center, please telephone the library and speak to a librarian
who will be glad to answer your general questions or send you a research
center form. Our telephone number is 260-421-1225. If you'd like to email a
general information question about the department, please email:
Genealogy [at] ACPL.Info.

 ***************************************

Publishing Note:

***************************************

This electronic newsletter is published by the Allen County Public Library's
Historical Genealogy Department, and is intended to enlighten readers about
genealogical research methods as well as inform them about the vast
resources of the Allen County Public Library. We welcome the wide
distribution of this newsletter and encourage readers to forward it to their
friends and societies. All precautions have been made to avoid errors. However,
the publisher does not assume any liability to any party for any loss or
damage caused by errors or omissions, no matter the cause.

 To subscribe to Genealogy Gems, simply use your browser to go to the
website: www.FriendsOfAllenCounty.org <http://www.FriendsOfAllenCounty.org>.
Scroll down toward the bottom of the first screen where it says, "Enter Your
Email Address to Subscribe to "Genealogy Gems." Enter your email address in
the yellow box and click on "Subscribe." You will be notified with a
confirmation email.

 If you do not want to receive this e-zine, please follow the link at the
very bottom of the issue of GenealogyGems you just received or send an email
to kspears [at] acpl.lib.in.us with "unsubscribe e-zine" in the subject line.

 Ryan Taylor, editor
  • (no other messages in thread)