Genealogy Gems: News from the Fort Wayne Library, No. 21, November 30, 2005
From: genealogygems (genealogygemsfriendsofallencounty.org)
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 17:52:23 -0800 (PST)
Genealogy Gems:  News from the Fort Wayne Library
No. 21, November 30, 2005

In this issue:
*Tell a Story--Save a Story
*1890 Special Enumeration of Union Veterans and Widows

*Images of Our Ancestral Ships
*Hotel of the month
*Area Calendar of Events
*ACPL Librarians on Tour
*Driving directions to the Library
*Parking at the Library
*Queries for the Department

Tell a Story--Save a Story
by Curt B. Witcher
As Thanksgiving marked the official start of the
end-of-the-year holiday season,
I hope that holiday itself provided you and your
families with wonderful opportunities
to share stories and memories from the past.  Family
gatherings, surrounded by good
feelings and good food, are often great times to
recall memorable, humorous, and
touching moments from days gone by.   I believe it is
one of the most important things
we can do during any holiday season--and it will
certainly have a more lasting impact
than any other gift we give or receive.  In fact, it
is *the* gift.

I would like to challenge you this holiday season to
give a true gift of yourself and your time.
I would like you challenge you to both tell a story
and save a story between now and the
end of the year.  Telling a story is simply
that--taking the time to recall in whatever level of
detail you?d like a family story from your past and
sharing it with another family member.
?Telling? the story can take the form of a postal
letter, an email, a telephone call, or actually
talking with your kin in person over a meal, after
church, on a walk, or wherever you?d like to meet.
The story can be simply your words or it can include a
picture or document that helps
illustrate the story.  That?s totally up to you.
After all, it?s your story!

It is through the telling of our stories that we get
family members interested in the amazing
events and individuals that brought us to where we are
today.  And, the telling of family stories
is a big part of getting others in our family
interested in family history.  We know that engaging
in genealogy is so much more than a collection of
names, dates, and places.  Why not share that
understanding with others?

After you?ve told your story, now you?re ready for the
second half of the challenge--saving your story.
And saving takes just a little more effort than
telling.  If you?ve sent an email to tell your story,
copy and paste that email into your favorite genealogy
program--you know, the one you back-up
religiously and frequently share with numerous family
members just to ensure there is always a
working copy around. Distributing your genealogical
information to interested persons in your
family is an important part of ensuring that your
information is available to you if calamity strikes,
as well as part of making it available for future
generations of researchers interested in your family
lines.

If you?ve shared your story by sending a postal mail
letter, keep a copy of that letter in a
special safe place with your other family documents
and include it with those documents
you may digitize or preserve in other media.  If
you?ve shared your story by talking with
a relative, take the time to key that story into your
genealogy computer files or record
it in some other fashion so it will not be subject to
the passage of time and subject to
failing memory.

When we commit to telling and sharing our family
stories, we are ensuring that important
information is available for the next generation of
researchers . . . and the generation to
follow them.  The Historical Genealogy Department
along with the entire library system
joins me in wishing you the safest of holiday seasons
filled with many opportunities to tell
and save your stories.

1890 Special Enumeration of Union Veterans and Widows
by Timothy Dougherty
The loss of the vast majority of the 1890 U.S. census
schedules is a challenge that faces
many researchers. However, a special enumeration of
Union veterans and widows was
taken at the same time to assist with Civil War
pension claims. Fortunately, much of
this material survives. While this is no real
substitute for the regular census, it may place
an individual in a specific place and add color to a
researcher?s knowledge of him.

This collection consists of 118 microfilm reels and is
available in the Genealogy Department.
Reels 1-117 include states alphabetically from
Kentucky through Wyoming. Within states,
the schedules are arranged by county. Records for
states alphabetically before Kentucky,
as well as half of the Kentucky schedules, have been
mostly lost or destroyed. Reel 118
contains Washington D.C., and sparse fragments from
California, Connecticut, Delaware,
Florida, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana and Kansas.

The schedules consist of two parts. The first part
lists the name of the soldier, sailor,
marine or widow, their rank, company, regiment or
vessel, the dates of enlistment and
length of service. Occasionally, a dependent mother
may be listed. The second part
includes the post-office address, disabilities
incurred in service, and general remarks.
Complaints like ?chronic diarrhea,? ?bloody flux and
piles,? ?deafness,? and ?shot through
foot? are among the multitude that may be encountered
in the disabilities section. And
along with any number of interesting entries, remarks
recorded include items such as
?sun-stroke at 1st Bull Run,? ?exposure while in
service,? and ?injured when horse fell on him.?
It may be recorded that the veteran was pensioned or
had been a prisoner of war or
deserter, and in the case of widows, the husband?s
death date or details are sometimes
included. As this information was collected for
pension purposes, some fraud did occur.

The researcher would be ill-advised to consider this
exclusively a Civil War resource.
Although the intention was to enumerate only Union
veterans of the Civil War, many
Confederate veterans were listed. Moreover, some
schedules for southern localities
are comprised entirely of Confederate veterans.
Mexican War veterans were often
incorporated, as were some veterans of the War of 1812
and various ?Indian Wars.?
In rare instances, veterans of foreign wars were
included.

An every name index to this set was recently posted at
www.Ancestry.com. Other
indices have been prepared for some states and are
available in book format.
Most of the printed indices do not give specific page
numbers, but provide the
Supervisor?s District, or Enumeration District in
which the veteran or widow is listed.

Images of Our Ancestral Ships
by John Beatty
Many genealogists are interested in finding images of
the ships that brought their
ancestors to the New World. A standard and much-used
source is Michael Anuta?s
Ships of Our Ancestors, which includes pictures mainly
of steamships from the late
nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. If your
ancestors came at an earlier time
period on a sailing ship, however, you may want to try
M. V. and Dorothy Brewington?s
Marine Paintings and Drawings in the Peabody Museum, a
two-volume work published
in 1981.

The Peabody Museum in Salem, Massachusetts, contains
one of the largest collections
of marine and ship images in the United States,
including many one-of-a-kind paintings
from the nineteenth century.  The Brewingtons
collected most of these images,
arranged them by artist, and assigned them numbers. A
full index to the ships appears
at the end under ?Vessels.? Barks, schooners, sloops,
brigs, naval vessels, clipper ships,
pilot boats, and yachts of international registry
appear in high quality images, some of
them in color. Often additional information is
included, such as the date of the ship?s
construction, its tonnage, its registry, and the
provenance of the painting.

Use the books cautiously. Many of these vessels did
not transport immigrants, but
were used for military, pleasure, or commercial
purposes. Sometimes different vessels
had the same name, and additional research may be
needed to determine if the ship
depicted is the same one that sailed the Atlantic in a
particular year. For example,
a search under ?Water Witch? reveals a brig, a
schooner, a sailing vessel, and a
steamship, all with this name. A careful reading of an
ancestral passenger list manifest
may determine not only the name, but also the type of
vessel that transported your
ancestor, which will aid in making a positive match
with an image.

Preservation Tip of the Month
by Becky Schipper
ACPL?s Preservation Technician Becky Schipper offers
advice on conserving your documents:
Documents can be cleaned using a document cleaning
pad.  The pad should be squeezed over
the soiled areas allowing the powder to fall on the
document.  Gently rub the powder
and then remove the residue with a soft bristled
brush.  These pads should NOT be used
on fragile documents or photographs.
[Editor?s note: Lineco Document Cleaning Pads are
easily available on the internet, if you cannot find
them locally.]

HOTEL OF THE MONTH
Each issue we will feature a local hotel, for visitors
from out-of-town.

Baymont Inn
1005 West Washington Center Road,
Fort Wayne 46825
phone 260-489-2220
fax 260-489-4579
or call toll-free 1-877-BAYMONT

The Baymont Inn stands in the commercial area on West
Washington Center Road,
with a wide variety of restaurants, from McDonald?s to
the Red River Steakhouse,
nearby. Rooms include breakfast (waffles, French toast
and boiled eggs), newspaper,
high-speed internet access, dataport phones, premium
cable television, coffee makers
and a fitness center. You can request rooms with
microwave and refrigerator.
Pets are welcome. The library is five miles away on
the quick route to downtown via
Lima Road. Room rates start at $65.

***************************************
AREA CALENDAR OF EVENTS
***************************************
Allen County Public Library
3rd floor atrium display area
Passages: Immigration

Allen County Genealogical Society of Indiana (ACGSI)
Refreshments at 6:30 p.m., meeting at 7:00 p.m.
Questions: contact Marge Graham,
260 672-2585 or gramar57 [at] aol.com. ACGSI has a new
website. The URL is www.acgsi.org.
Katie Bloom tells us: ?Adam Barrone is doing a great
job with this page. Look for some
surprises in the coming months.?
Wednesday, 14 December: Dupont branch ACPL. Craig
Berndt: Interurbans of Northeast
Indiana, a PowerPoint presentation with maps, photos
and historical background.

Computer Users Group
Wednesday 21 December: Aboite branch ACPL, 7:00.

Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR)
First Wednesday of each month in the Genealogy
Department 9am ? 7pm.
Expert help from members of the DAR in becoming a
member of that organization

***************************************
ACPL LIBRARIANS ON TOUR
**************************************
The genealogy librarians are staying around home this
month, celebrating the holidays
and maybe adding to their own genealogies!

***************************************
DRIVING DIRECTIONS TO THE LIBRARY
***************************************
Wondering how to get to the library?  Our exciting
transition location is 200 E. Berry,
Fort Wayne, Indiana.  We will be at this location
until late 2006.  We would enjoy
having you visit the Genealogy Department.

To get directions from your exact location to 200 E.
Berry, Fort Wayne, Indiana,
visit this link at MapQuest:
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&countryid=250&addtohistory=&searchtab=address&searchtype=address&address=200+E+Berry+St&city=Fort+Wayne&state=IN&zipcode=46802-2706&search=++Search++&finditform=1

>From the South
Exit Interstate 69 at exit 102.  Drive east on
Jefferson Blvd. into downtown.
Turn left on Barr Street to Berry Street.  The library
is located on the corner
of Berry and Barr Streets.

>From the North
Exit Interstate 69 at exit 112.  Drive south on
Coldwater Road, which merges into
Clinton Street.  Continue south on Clinton, the
library will be on your left when you
cross Berry Street.

>From the West
Using US 30:
Drive into town on US 30.  US 30 turns into Goshen
Road.  Coming up to an angled street
(State Street.) make an angled left turn.  Turn right
on Wells Street.  Go south on
Wells to Wayne Street.  Left on Wayne Street.  When
you cross Clinton, the library
will be on your left on Wayne Street.

Using US 24:
After crossing under Interstate 69, follow the same
directions as from the South.

>From the East
Follow US 30/then 930 into and through New Haven,
under an overpass into downtown
Fort Wayne.  You will be on Washington Blvd. when you
get into downtown.
Turn right on Barr Street.   Turn left on Berry
Street.  The library is on your left
on Berry Street.

***************************************
PARKING AT THE LIBRARY
***************************************
Lot in front of the library, east side of the lot.
Available for short-term library parking.  Limited to
one hour.
There are handicapped parking spots near the door.

Tippman Parking Garage
Clinton and Wayne Streets.  Across from the library,
however the skybridge is NOT
accessible.  Hourly parking, $1.25 per hour up to a
maximum of $5.00 per day.

Park Place Lot
Covered parking on Barr Street at Main Street.  This
lot is one block away from the library.
Hourly parking Monday through Friday, 9am to 6pm.

Street (metered) parking on Wayne Street and Berry
Street.
On the street you plug the meters 8am ? 5pm, weekdays
only.  It is free to park on the
street after 5pm and on the weekends.

Visitor center/Grand Wayne center
Covered parking at Washington and Clinton Streets.
This is the Hilton Hotel parking lot
that also serves as a day parking garage.  For hourly
parking, 7am ? 11 pm, charges are .50
for the first 45 minutes, then $1.00 per hour.  There
is a flat $2.00 fee between 5pm and 11pm.

***************************************
GENEALOGY DEPARTMENT QUERIES
***************************************
The Historical Genealogy Department hopes you find
this newsletter interesting.
Thank you for subscribing.  We cannot, however, answer
personal research emails
written to the e-zine address.  The department houses
a Research Center that
makes photocopies and conducts research for a fee.

If you have a general question about our collection,
or are interested in the Research Center,
please telephone the library and speak to a librarian
who will be glad to answer your general
questions or send you a research center form.  Our
telephone number is 260-421-1225.
If you?d like to email a general information question
about the department,
please email: Genealogy [at] ACPL.Info.

***************************************
Publishing Note:
***************************************
This electronic newsletter is published by the Allen
County Public Library's Historical Genealogy
Department, and is intended to enlighten readers about
genealogical research methods as well as
inform them about the vast resources of the Allen
County Public Library.  We welcome the wide
distribution of this newsletter and encourage readers
to forward it to their friends and societies.
All precautions have been made to avoid errors.
However, the publisher does not assume any
liability to any party for any loss or damage caused
by errors or omissions, no matter the cause.

To subscribe to Genealogy Gems, simply use your
browser to go to the website:
www.FriendsOfAllenCounty.org. Scroll down toward the
bottom of the first screen where it says,
"Enter Your Email Address to Subscribe to "Genealogy
Gems."  Enter your email address in the
yellow box and click on "Subscribe." You will be
notified with a confirmation email.

If you do not want to receive this e-zine, please
follow the link at the very bottom of the issue of
GenealogyGems you just received or send an email to
kspears [at] acpl.lib.in.us with
"unsubscribe e-zine" in the subject line.

Ryan Taylor, editor

  • (no other messages in thread)