Genealogy Gems: News from the Fort Wayne Library, No. 33, November 30, 2006
From: Genealogy Gems (genealogygemsfriendsofallencounty.org)
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 19:33:41 -0800 (PST)
Genealogy Gems:  News from the Fort Wayne Library
No. 33, November 30, 2006

In this issue:
*It's Beginning to Look . . .
*Sources for World War I Heroes
*The George O. Zabriskie Collection
*Countdown to Conference 2007
*Preservation Tip of the Month
*Area Calendar of Events
*ACPL Librarians on Tour
*Driving Directions to the Library
*Parking at the Library
*Queries for the Department

***************************************
It's Beginning to Look . . .
by Curt B. Witcher
***************************************
Well, of course it's beginning to look a bit like Christmas
(particularly if you were in the Pacific Northwest earlier this week).
But . . . it's also beginning to look a lot like The Genealogy Center
of the Allen County Public Library is ready to begin housing our
hundreds of thousands of research materials--and after that, welcome
all of you!  The brand new microtext storage units are bolted in
place; the final bracing of the stacks is rapidly drawing to a close,
with the installation of striking, oak end-panels marking the final
touches to those areas; and sturdy, comfortable research tables are
being assembled.  We can't wait to begin the move back!

And speaking of the move back, we are just a few short weeks away from
starting that venture.  As stated in previous communiques, The
Genealogy Center will close in our temporary location at 6 p.m. on
Saturday, December 23, 2006.  After a short holiday break, staff will
begin moving the genealogy materials to 900 Library Plaza--and then
assist with moving the rest of the library's materials.  There is a
wonderful grand opening ceremony planned for Saturday, January 27,
2007 around mid-day.  Watch the library's website for more specific
details about the celebration!

The very handsome, recently published two-volume work "History of Fort
Wayne & Allen County, Indiana, 1700-2005," by John Beatty and Phyllis
Robb, reminded me again of how critical it is for us, as genealogists,
to explore the histories of the areas where we find our families.  I
have a favorite expression:  "Exploring the history eliminates the
mystery!"  It has proven to be quite true in so much of my research
and in the assistance I have been able to provide to other
researchers.

As there currently is no easy or convenient online access to the many
thousands of town and county histories on the free, open web, many
researchers undervalue them.  Others nearly ignore them because the
histories fall into the category of secondary source documents.  I,
however, believe county and town histories should be approached as
sources of great clues and leads, as well as sources which provide
tremendous (and necessary) context for our research.  It is often in
these local histories that we find when waves of immigrants settled in
a particular area and learn from whence they came.  It is in these
histories that we discover the first evidences of religious
denominations in a specific locale, as well as when stores, schools,
and manufacturing shops opened.  All this information, all these
clues, can significantly advance one's genealogical endeavors.

The Genealogy Center is blessed with an abundance of town and county
histories covering nearly all of North America and the British Isles.
These works can be a tremendous research complement for the thorough
genealogist.

***************************************
Sources for World War I Heroes
by Delia Cothrun Bourne
***************************************
Veterans' Day reminded me that the day selected to honor all of our
veterans was originally called Armistice Day in honor of November 11,
1918, the end of World War I, known then as the European War, the
Great War, or, more optimistically, The War to End All Wars.

Only about twenty veterans of American service from that conflict
survive at this time. While some service records were destroyed in the
1973 National Personnel Records Center fire, there are still sources
for searching for soldiers of that era, especially those to whom a
citation for heroism had been given.

Albert F. Gleim compiled or reprinted four of these works. Citation
Orders, General Headquarters, American Expeditionary Forces (940.410
AA1GLE) is a reprint of orders which authorize the wearing of the
Silver Star citation on the Victory Medal Ribbon. Although there is no
index, most of the ten sections are roughly alphabetical, and provide
the soldier's name, rank, military organization, and date, place and
activity for which he was honored.

Belgian Awards to the American Expeditionary Force (940.410 AA1BELA)
lists more than six hundred American recipients of Belgian medals in
alphabetical order by name, providing rank, decoration, and
organization with which served.

Tentative List of Decorations Awarded U.S. Army Air Service, AEF
(940.410 AA1AI) is a 1987 reprint of a 1920 Government Printing Office
publication. The alphabetical list by award provides name and rank
only, but includes American, British, French, Italian, Romanian,
Belgian, Serbian, Montenegrin, and Chinese awards.

About the same time (1918-1925), the U.S. military also had personnel
on the Mexican border to which the Office of the Quartermaster General
awarded service medals. Army Mexican Service Medal Issue Records
(940.410 AA1GLEA) consists of a name index providing the medal number,
with a cross-index of medal numbers to name with rank. Dates of the
award are only indicated in groupings of about 500.

Not wanting to forget our neighbors to the north, where the holiday is
Remembrance Day, the Genealogy Department has two volumes of interest
compiled by David K. Riddle and Donald G. Mitchell. The Military Cross
Awarded to the Canadian Expeditionary Force, 1915-1921 (940.4102 AA1R)
and The Distinguished Service Order to the Canadian Expeditionary
Force and Canadians in the Royal Naval Air Service, Royal Flying Corps
and Royal Air Force, 1915-1920 (971 R43D) both have name indexes. They
list rank, serial number, organization, date of award in the London
Gazette, date and a citation for the announcement in the Canada
Gazette, and a brief description of the act which merited the award.
Appendices include lists of recipients of selected other awards.

Even if one does not have a WWI soldier ancestor, the accounts of the
bravery exhibited by these heroic young men and women are fascinating
reading. Come visit us soon to learn more about our North American
heroes.

***************************************
The George O. Zabriskie Collection
by John D. Beatty
***************************************
The late George Olin Zabriskie, FASG (1904-1988) was a leading
authority on colonial Dutch families of New Netherland. As a
contributing editor of the American Genealogist and a member of the
Holland Society of New York, he was a frequent contributor of articles
about Dutch families in New York and New Jersey, which were published
in a variety of scholarly journals from the 1950s to the 1980s. In the
course of his research, he amassed an extensive collection of files
containing family group charts, notes, colonial church record
abstracts, local history, and correspondence, which he later offered
to the Genealogical Society of Utah for microfilming. These microfilms
are available from the Family History Library, and a portion of them
are part of the permanent holdings of the Allen County Public Library.

Though little used, the collection is a goldmine of information on
Dutch colonial families, especially in Bergen County, New Jersey,
where his Zabriskie family originated. In addition to Zabriskie, other
surnames that figure prominently are Ackerman, Bogert/Bogardus, Van
Horne, Willsie, Moyle, Blauvelt, Bertholf, Terhune, Van Saun,
VanderBeek, Westervelt, and many others. A more complete inventory can
be found by examining the catalog for the Family History Library at
www.familysearch.org and searching under the microfilm numbers ranging
from 1421759 through 1421776.

Zabriskie used some of the data in the compilation of his two-volume
Zabriskie Family, published in 1963, and in many of his articles, but
it remains unclear how much material was in his files that was never
published. Researchers face many challenges in using the collection,
including the fact the material is not well organized and lacks either
a published guide (except for the FHL Catalog) or an index. Further,
the material lacks page numbers and is difficult to cite. ACPL's
holdings are arranged into four series of numbered items, which do not
correspond with the Family History Library cataloging. In spite of
these challenges, this collection is worth a look, especially if you
find a published article by Zabriskie and wish to explore his research
notes in further detail.

***************************************
Countdown to Conference 2007!
by Elaine Kuhn
***************************************
Have enough bathrobes and slippers? Don't need another screwdriver
set? Here's your chance to get what you *really* want this holiday
season. Add a FGS/ACPL 2007 Conference registration to your wish list!
The price is reasonable, especially for what you'll be getting in
return: four days of outstanding genealogy-related presentations and
workshops, the chance to meet fellow researchers from all across North
America, and hours of ancestor hunting in the Genealogy Center of the
Allen County Public Library.

While you're making out that perfect holiday wish list, remember to
include your travel and hotel plans as well. Fort Wayne is easily
accessible by plane and automobile, and lodging and dining costs in
the area put big city prices to shame (for more information on lodging
and dining go to http://www.visitfortwayne.com/visitors.html.)
Finally, remember to ask Santa to set aside a little "pin money" for
you to purchase books, software and souvenirs from the many vendors at
the conference.

You can download and print the FGS/ACPL 2007 Conference informational
brochure at
http://www.acpl.info/genealogy/FGS07AnnouncementFlyer%20FinalWeb.pdf.
Attach a copy of the brochure to your wish list and maybe even leave
one under Santa's cookie plate for good measure.

May all your wishes come true and may you have very happy holidays!

***************************************
Preservation Tip of the Month
by Becky Schipper
***************************************
ACPL's Preservation Technician Becky Schipper offers advice on
conserving your documents:

Silica Gel can be used as a desiccant by placing it with damp
materials to absorb moisture, or in an enclosed area as a buffer to
maintain a specific relative humidity.  Artifacts should not be in
direct contact with the gel.

***************************************
AREA CALENDAR OF EVENTS
***************************************
Allen County Genealogical Society of Indiana (ACGSI)
Refreshments at 6:30, meeting at 7:00. Questions: contact Katie Bloom
kathrynabloom [at] verizon.net
Wednesday December 13, 2006, Aboite branch: Deborah Eidson will speak
about one-room schoolhouses in Allen County, Indiana.

Computer Users Group
Questions? Contact Marge Graham, gramar57 [at] aol.com or 672-2585.
December 20, 2006, Aboite branch, ACPL, 5630 Coventry Lane, 7 p.m.

Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR)
First Wednesday of each month in the Genealogy Department 9am – 7pm.
Expert help from members of the DAR in becoming a member of that organization

***************************************
ACPL LIBRARIANS ON TOUR
***************************************
December will be devoted to organizing and packing offices and
departmental archives in preparation for our move commencing on
December 26, 2006.  Look for a great line-up of lectures and programs
from the Genealogy Center staff in the New Year.

***************************************
DRIVING DIRECTIONS TO THE LIBRARY
***************************************
Wondering how to get to the library?  Our exciting transition location
is 200 E. Berry, Fort Wayne, Indiana.  We will be at this location
until late 2006.  We would enjoy having you visit the Genealogy
Department.

To get directions from your exact location to 200 E. Berry, Fort
Wayne, Indiana, visit this link at MapQuest:
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&countryid=250&addtohistory=&searchtab=address&searchtype=address&address=200+E+Berry+St&city=Fort+Wayne&state=IN&zipcode=46802-2706&search=++Search++&finditform=1

From the South
Exit Interstate 69 at exit 102.  Drive east on Jefferson Blvd. into
downtown. Turn left on Barr Street to Berry Street.  The library is
located on the corner of Berry and Barr Streets.

From the North
Exit Interstate 69 at exit 112.  Drive south on Coldwater Road, which
merges into Clinton Street.  Continue south on Clinton, the library
will be on your left when you cross Berry Street.

From the West
Using US 30:
Drive into town on US 30.  US 30 turns into Goshen Road.  Coming up to
an angled street (State Street.) make an angled left turn.  Turn right
on Wells Street.  Go south on Wells to Wayne Street.  Left on Wayne
Street.  When you cross Clinton, the library will be on your left on
Wayne Street.

Using US 24:
After crossing under Interstate 69, follow the same directions as from
the South.

From the East
Follow US 30/then 930 into and through New Haven, under an overpass
into downtown Fort Wayne.  You will be on Washington Blvd. when you
get into downtown.  Turn right on Barr Street.   Turn left on Berry
Street.  The library is on your left on Berry Street.

***************************************
PARKING AT THE LIBRARY
***************************************
Lot in front of the library, east side of the lot.
Available for short-term library parking.  Limited to one hour.
There are handicapped parking spots near the door.

Tippman Parking Garage
Clinton and Wayne Streets.  Across from the library, however the
skybridge is NOT accessible.  Hourly parking, $1.25 per hour up to a
maximum of $5.00 per day.

Park Place Lot
Covered parking on Barr Street at Main Street.  This lot is one block
away from the library.  Hourly parking Monday through Friday, 9am to
6pm.

Street (metered) parking on Wayne Street and Berry Street.
On the street you plug the meters 8am – 5pm, weekdays only.  It is
free to park on the street after 5pm and on the weekends.

Visitor center/Grand Wayne center
Covered parking at Washington and Clinton Streets. This is the Hilton
Hotel parking lot that also serves as a day parking garage.  For
hourly parking, 7am – 11 pm, charges are .50 for the first 45 minutes,
then $1.00 per hour.  There is a flat $2.00 fee between 5pm and 11pm.

***************************************
GENEALOGY DEPARTMENT QUERIES
***************************************
The Historical Genealogy Department hopes you find this newsletter
interesting.  Thank you for subscribing.  We cannot, however, answer
personal research emails written to the e-zine address.  The
department houses a Research Center that makes photocopies and
conducts research for a fee.

If you have a general question about our collection, or are interested
in the Research Center, please telephone the library and speak to a
librarian who will be glad to answer your general questions or send
you a research center form.  Our telephone number is 260-421-1225.  If
you'd like to email a general information question about the
department, please email: Genealogy [at] ACPL.Info.

***************************************
PUBLISHING NOTE:
***************************************
This electronic newsletter is published by the Allen County Public
Library's Historical Genealogy Department, and is intended to
enlighten readers about genealogical research methods as well as
inform them about the vast resources of the Allen County Public
Library.  We welcome the wide distribution of this newsletter and
encourage readers to forward it to their friends and societies.  All
precautions have been made to avoid errors.  However, the publisher
does not assume any liability to any party for any loss or damage
caused by errors or omissions, no matter the cause.

To subscribe to Genealogy Gems, simply use your browser to go to the
website:  www.FriendsOfAllenCounty.org. Scroll down toward the bottom
of the first screen where it says, "Enter Your Email Address to
Subscribe to "Genealogy Gems."  Enter your email address in the yellow
box and click on "Subscribe." You will be notified with a confirmation
email.

If you do not want to receive this e-zine, please follow the link at
the very bottom of the issue of GenealogyGems you just received or
send an email to kspears [at] acpl.lib.in.us with "unsubscribe e-zine" in
the subject line.

Curt Witcher, editor pro-tem
  • (no other messages in thread)