Genealogy Gems: News from the Fort Wayne Library, No. 70, December 31, 2009
From: Genealogy Gems (genealogygemsgenealogycenter.info)
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 15:53:26 -0800 (PST)
Genealogy Gems:  News from the Fort Wayne Library
No. 70, December 31, 2009

In this issue:
*New Beginnings in a New Year
*Artificial Limbs Furnished to Civil War Soldiers
*Compiled Military Service Records, Winnebago Indian Disturbances of 1827
*Technology Tip of the Month--Photo Restoration with Adobe Photoshop,
Version 9.02: The Nitty Gritty III, Layers
*Preservation Tip of the Month--Repairing & Storing Cards, Including
Sports, Greeting, and Postcards
*Connect with WinterTech in the New Year
*March Madness, Genealogy Style
*More Great Opportunities for 2010
*Librarians on Parade
*Area Calendar of Events
*Driving Directions to the Library
*Parking at the Library
*Queries for the Department

***************************************
New Beginnings in a New Year
by Curt B. Witcher
***************************************
I hope 2009 was a time of great discovery and much success in your
genealogical activities.  Some may tire of me saying this, but I so
fervently believe that we are living in the best of times for
genealogists.  When we survey the landscape, it is amazing to behold
all the data being digitized, all the books being published, all the
indices being compiled and shared, and all the great collaborative
efforts that are making our collective abilities to do research so
much more productive.  And even more exciting than that is the fact
that these “best of times” will only get better as more and more
technology is applied to preserving historical data and making that
data more widely available.

These “best of times” though are not without their challenges. For
many, the bad economy has made it a difficult year, both on a personal
level and on a genealogical level.  Some states saw the economic
downturn combine with tax reform to take millions of dollars away from
public and state libraries.  Still other states’ public library and
state archive funding models were so hard hit by the economy that they
didn’t need anything else to nearly put them out of business.  A few
governors proposed closing their state libraries while others wanted
fifty percent cuts in public library funding, in effect closing all
but the most essential services of those organizations.  However,
through all of these hardships, most libraries have prevailed.  In the
New Year, we need to be even more watchful that the institutions that
preserve and make accessible our historical records don’t get
marginalized or get “disappeared.”  We know the importance of
preserving the records that document our rich heritage.

I will be among the first to admit that I have really been on a
soap-box this past year regarding the need for all of us to take
renewed responsibility for telling our stories and capturing living
memory for those who come after us to use.  I remain passionate about
this critical need.  However, I will promise not to write so much
about this issue in the coming year.  In return, though, I hope I can
get a promise from all of you that you will really *do* something
active in 2010--devise a way of archiving those genealogy-related
email messages that contain precious family stories and one-of-a-kind
information, begin or continue your journal writing, and attend that
family reunion with heirlooms to start discussions, as well as with
digital cameras and recorders to capture that living history.  The
future of your family’s history is truly in your hands.

On January 1, 2010, the Genealogy Center will debut its Facebook page
and a new blog.  Both are designed to be conduits through which you
can easily and quickly stay in-touch with programs and activities in
the Center.  The official Genealogy Center blog is located at
http://genealogycenter.wordpress.com. The Center’s genealogy
librarians will post announcements, upcoming programs, and research
tips to keep you informed.  Through the comments section, we hope to
offer another avenue for dialogue with our customers.  You can become
a fan of the Genealogy Center on Facebook by searching for "Genealogy
Center" within http://www.facebook.com.  On our Facebook page you can
learn up-to-date information about the Center and connect with other
researchers. With both the Genealogy Center blog and Facebook, we hope
to network with the genealogy community and provide timely information
on the variety of offerings of the Genealogy Center.

Also new to the Genealogy Center in 2010 are two databases--“Paper of
Record” and the “Historical Detroit Free Press.”  These two databases
will come online at the library during the month of January and will
be available for use in the Center.  “Paper of Record” is a growing
collection of newspaper data from across the United States as well as
several other countries.  It is being distributed by the company that
has provided us with the World Vital Records databases for a couple of
years.  The number of newspapers that have been published in
communities all over the continent for centuries is so vast that
finding the actual newspapers of our ancestral hometowns online
typically seems remote.  Nonetheless, with the number of organizations
engaged in making these valuable documents available, it is certainly
worth a look.  The “Historical Detroit Free Press” database will cover
the years from 1831 to 1922.  The nearly ninety years of this
newspaper will provide researchers with personal and historical
information for not only Detroit and Michigan but for the Midwest as
well.

Though a new year is dawning, you can expect the same great service,
the same engaging programs, and the same rich collections of
historical and genealogical resources for your use here in the
Genealogy Center.  Visit our website at GenealogyCenter.Info, attend a
program, or come see us in person.  I think you’ll be glad you did.
Best wishes for a most successful New Year!

***************************************
Artificial Limbs Furnished to Civil War Soldiers
by Dawne Slater-Putt
***************************************
Many patrons visit the Genealogy Center with a list of specific books
to consult. Such preparation before a research trip is to be lauded,
but don’t overlook the benefits of casually browsing the stacks for
that unexpected or interesting find! For example, “Artificial Limbs
Furnished to Soldiers” (973.74 Aa1uw) is a photocopy of an 1866
Surgeon General’s Office report listing Union Civil War soldiers who
received prosthetics. Arranged alphabetically, it includes each
soldier’s rank, company, regiment, state, residence, date, type of
limb received, its cost, and the manufacturer.

It might interest his descendants to know that Private W. B. Kress of
Fort Wayne, Indiana, a member of Co. H, 75th Indiana Infantry,
received an artificial arm on 11 February 1865. Kress’s prosthetic arm
cost $50 and was made by the Marvin Lincoln company of Boston,
Massachusetts.

By 11 May 1866, when the Surgeon General’s report was filed, the
federal government had furnished its Union veterans with 2,134
prosthetic arms, 3,784 legs, 14 hands, 9 feet and 104 “apparatus” at a
total cost of $357,728.

Providing prosthetics for Confederate veterans was not a function of
the federal government, but of the individual former Confederate
states. Some state-specific lists of Confederate soldiers who applied
for artificial limbs exist, such as “Artificial Limbs for Confederate
Soldiers” by Patrick J. McCawley of  the South Carolina Department of
Archives and History (973.74 So8mc). McCawley’s book describes the
South Carolina General Assembly’s actions to furnish Confederate
veterans with prosthetics from 1866 through 1909, followed by an
alphabetical index to veterans’ applications for limbs that includes
veteran’s name, county, year of record series, folder and item number.

Ansley Herring Wegner’s “Phantom Pain: North Carolina’s
Artificial-Limbs Program for Confederate Veterans” (973.74 N81weg) is
a combination history and index to records at the North Carolina State
Archives. The index portion of the book lists the soldier’s name,
county, unit, date, type of limb, and record citation.

Digitized images of Virginia Confederate soldiers’ applications for
artificial limbs are in the Confederate Disability Applications and
Receipts database on the Library of Virginia’s website. Genealogists
may search the database most efficiently by cutting and pasting
<http://ajax.lva.lib.va.us/F/?func=file&file_name=find-b-clas11> into
their computer browser, and combining the search term “artificial”
with the soldier’s surname in the top search box. Most applications
include the veteran’s place of residence and affidavits describing
where and how he was wounded. Rejected as well as approved
applications are included among the images.

Researchers may be able to find similar record indexes or digitized
images for other Confederate veterans by using keyword searching in
the online catalogs of individual state libraries and state archives,
or via Internet search engines.

***************************************
Compiled Military Service Records, Winnebago Indian Disturbances of 1827
by Cynthia Theusch
***************************************
After four Winnebago braves attacked a farmhouse in June 1827 near
Prairie du Chien in what is now Wisconsin, volunteers from Illinois
and Michigan were called up to help federal troops quell the ensuing
“disturbances.” Only a few skirmishes took place and most of the 1,000
volunteers had served less than two months before the Winnebago
surrendered in September. Available at the Genealogy Center, “Compiled
Military Service Records of Michigan and Illinois Volunteers Who
Served During Winnebago Indian Disturbances of 1827” is a three-roll
National Archives microfilm set pertaining to these troops.

Records are arranged by company and then in alphabetical order by the
name of the soldier. Volunteers from Illinois may have served in the
Mounted Riflemen or in companies commanded by Captains Field,
Hamilton, Nair, Strode or Whiteside. Michigan volunteers served in
companies under Captains Dickinson, Johnston, Smith and McNair.
Captain Smith’s company consisted of volunteers from the Menominee
tribe who were assigned the rank of “Warrior.” In front of each
company’s records is a record-of-events jacket that highlights the
stations, movements and activities of the unit. One such jacket
provides this description: “Muster Roll of a Company of mounted
Riflemen Commanded by Capt. Achillis Morgan who at the special request
of Alexander Wolcott, Jr., Esqr., Indian Agent at Chicago, Volunteered
their services for the defence of Fort Dearborn on the 28th day of
July 1827 and were discharged on the 16th day of August 1827.”

Each soldier’s record consists of muster roll abstracts in a
jacket-envelope noting the volunteer’s name, unit and incoming and
outgoing rank. Because of the short period of service, most jackets
contain only one card abstract of a muster roll entry relating to the
soldier. Each abstract shows the soldier’s name, unit, period of
service, whether present or absent on particular days, name of the
person who completed the muster roll jacket, and remarks such as
“served with his own arms” or “served with public arms.” The records
of Menominee warriors who served provide an English translation of
their name, as with May-aw-ko-may, “The Straight Nose Warrior” and
Pe-de-dah, “The one who comes making a noise.” The identification of
parentage for some of the warriors is an added genealogical bonus, as
with O-me-gw-on, “The Feather,” son of O-shaw-wo-nim.

These military records may help fill a gap in your ancestor’s life.
For those with Menominee forebears, they may add another generation to
the family tree in a time period that is difficult to research.

***************************************
Technology Tip of the Month--Photo Restoration with Adobe Photoshop,
Version 9.02: The Nitty Gritty III, Layers
by Kay Spears
***************************************
Now that you’re familiar with the basics of cloning, we will move on
to Layers. Why use layers when restoring photographs? Layers allow you
to work on one element of an image without disturbing the others.
Changes made using layers, such as color touch-ups, are easily
reversible without going through a large number of steps – just drag
the layer with the undesirable changes to the trash can! To work with
layers, you need to open the Layers palette. Go to Menu > Window >
Layers.

The Layers palette has a thumbnail image of your photograph, which may
be turned off. However, you may find that retaining the thumbnail
helps you track which layer you are altering. There is also an eye
icon next to each layer. Clicking on the eye allows you to make that
layer either visible or invisible. You may add as many layers as you
want, and arrange them in any order by clicking and dragging. Make
sure you keep track of the layer that is “active.” To add a new layer,
click on the icon that looks like a sheet of paper with a folded
corner, located on the lower right of the Layers palette, right next
to the convenient trash can icon.

When you open up your photograph in Adobe, notice that it is
identified as the background layer. The background layer is always the
bottommost image in your Layers palette. If you want to move the
background layer to the top, it needs to be converted to a regular
layer by either double clicking on it or right clicking and choosing >
Layer from Background > New, and clicking ok. Now that layer can be
moved through the stack of other layers on the palette.

Another excellent use of layers is with photographs that have come
apart. The pieces can be put back together just like a jigsaw puzzle
by using the Layers palette. First, arrange all the pieces together on
the glass of the scanner and scan as one image.  Scanning the pieces
separately creates variable images that are hard to put together
again. The Magic Wand, the Lasso tool or the Erase tool can each be
used to reassemble the photograph. Choose whichever is easiest for you
to use. In all cases, you will want each piece of the photo to be on
its own layer. If you use the Magic Wand tool, select a piece. Then
right click and choose > Layer via copy. This creates a new layer with
just that one piece on it. Repeat this process for all of the pieces.
When you use the Lasso tool, use the “mouse” to draw freehand around
the piece and then repeat the same steps used for the Magic Wand. If
you use the Erase tool, duplicate the image once for each piece by
right clicking on the layer and choosing > Duplicate layer. Then just
erase all but one piece on each layer, keeping a different piece of
the photograph on each separate layer.

Whichever method you use, you will end up with a separate layer for
each piece. Then move each piece into place by using the arrow keys on
your keyboard. When they’re in place, you will want to merge all the
pieces together by right clicking on the topmost layer and choosing >
Merge down. Repeat this process. Once they are all on one layer, you
probably will need to do some crack repairs by using the Clone tool.
Then you will have a perfectly seamless image.

Next--Feathering

***************************************
Preservation Tip of the Month--Repairing & Storing Cards, Including
Sports, Greeting, and Postcards
by Becky Schipper
***************************************
During the holidays, you may have received some cards you would like
to save and pass along to your children and grandchildren. Many of us
also have collections of trading cards or postcards commemorating
significant events, either in the life of our community and country or
in the lives of family members.

Cards we are intending to keep always should be handled with clean
hands or soft, lint-free gloves. Any mending of tears should be done
on the back using an archival tape, not a pressure sensitive tape.
Cheap tape purchased off-the-shelf in big box stores can deteriorate
quickly, turning yellowish-brown and damaging the cards.

Cards that are dirty can be cleaned with a document cleaning pad or
eraser with a very light touch. Always test the eraser you intend to
use on a blank piece of white paper to ensure that erasing does not
leave any marks and to get used to the amount of pressure to apply for
removal of dirt and stray marks.

Cards then should be stored in acid free enclosures, away from heat
and light sources. Polyester plastic enclosures are preferred because
they allow viewing the item without disturbing it. Groups of cards
should be stored vertically in acid-free, lignin-free boxes. The
contents of each box should be noted on a separate sheet of paper to
facilitate locating the correct card without handling others
unnecessarily.

***************************************
Connect with WinterTech in the New Year
***************************************
Confused about which software to use to organize your genealogical
data? Then you're in luck, as our technology education series,
WinterTech, continues in January with "Genealogy Software to Record
Your Family History." Cynthia Theusch will highlight various features
of three of the most popular programs, Family Tree Maker, Legacy, and
The Master Genealogist, at 2:30 p.m. on Wednesday January 13, 2010, in
Meeting Room C. Remember that you can also stay for the monthly
meeting of the Allen County Genealogical Society of Indiana at 7 p.m.
Call 260-421-1225 or email Genealogy [at] ACPL.info to register for
"Genealogy Software To Record Your Family History." In February we
will offer the last of this WinterTech series with Kay Spears
presenting the "Basics of Scanning Photographs." For more information,
visit our web site at:
http://www.acpl.lib.in.us/genealogy/programs.html

***************************************
March Madness, Genealogy Style
***************************************
As winter ends and spring begins, we are offering “March Madness,
Genealogy Style” from March 14th to March 20th. Our March Madness will
provide a week of fun and education to “rev up your research.” Daily
events that week are listed below.

+Sunday March 14, 2010, 1:00-2:00 PM: “Genealogy Center Tour” --
Genealogy Center Entrance
Join us for a tour of the Genealogy Center. If you ever have felt
overwhelmed by the sheer size of the department, this tour will help
familiarize you with the different areas and their contents, as well
as research procedures. Space is limited. Call 260-421-1225 or email
Genealogy [at] ACPL.Info to register.

+Monday, March 15, 2010, 2:00-3:00 PM: “How To Use the Genealogy
Center Basics” -- Globe Room
Have you taken the tour of the Genealogy Center and still felt
confused? Do you wonder how all the details make sense to other
people? Spend time with a staff member who will explain the catalog,
microtext area, and how to use the facility. Note: This session is not
a beginning genealogy class, but rather an explanation of the
collection. Call 260-421-1225 or email Genealogy [at] ACPL.Info to
register.

+Tuesday, March 16, 2010, 2:00-3:00 PM, “Using Periodicals at the
Genealogy Center” -- Meeting Room A
Why would anyone want to use those little newsletters for genealogy
research? What can you find in those little newsletters? And where can
you find those little newsletters? This lecture will discuss the
benefits of using all types of genealogy and local history periodicals
in the quest for your ancestors, provide a brief overview of how to
use the “Periodical Source Index” (PERSI), and give information on how
to locate the specific issue you seek in the ACPL Genealogy Center's
massive collection. Call 260-421-1225 or email Genealogy [at] ACPL.Info to
register.

+Wednesday, March 17, 2010, 10:00-11:00 AM, “Writing Your Family
History: A Primer” -- Meeting Room A
This course will present an overview of some of the attributes of good
genealogical writing and will offer some guidance on how to produce a
book or article of lasting quality. The class will NOT discuss or
review genealogy software. Instead, we will look at various forms of
genealogical writing, the philosophy of documentation, and other
aesthetic attributes that go into making a quality family history.
Call 260-421-1225 or email Genealogy [at] ACPL.Info to register.

+Thursday, March 18, 2010, 10:00-11:00 AM, “Using Footnote.com” --
Meeting Room A
Learn how to browse through documents or search for an individual's
documents or a specific historic event using Footnote.com. View,
print, and save original historical and federal documents from the
Colonial era to events of the 20th century. Footnote also allows you
to share personal stories and upload digital copies of historic
documents that you own. Call 260-421-1225 or email Genealogy [at] ACPL.Info
to register.

+Friday & Saturday, March 19 & 20, 2010, 9:00 AM-4:00 PM, “Irish &
Scots-Irish Genealogy: Part 2, A Two Day Mini-Course” -- Meeting Room
B-C
This workshop is an excellent way for researchers with some experience
in using basic Irish records to learn about additional sources and
techniques that lead to success. Topics covered include Irish local
history publications and manuscript collections. There is a fee for
this program. Call 260-421-1225 or email Genealogy [at] ACPL.Info for more
information.

***************************************
More Great Opportunities for 2010
***************************************
We have a wide range of activities planned for the rest of 2010,
including the Allen County Genealogical Society of Indiana's
“Beginning Genealogy Workshop” on April 3rd, the “Family History 101”
and “Family History: Beyond Basics” mini-courses June 18 & 19, and
September 17 & 18 respectively, and our month-long celebration of
“Family History Month” in October. Stay tuned here in Genealogy Gems
and at http://www.acpl.lib.in.us/genealogy/programs.html for more
information.

***************************************
Librarians on Parade
***************************************
Curt B. Witcher
January 3, 2010--Allen County-Fort Wayne Historical Society, 302 East
Berry, Ft. Wayne, IN, 2:00 p.m.  Topic:  “A Commitment to Excellence
in Genealogy: How the Public Library Became a Major Tourist Attraction
in Fort Wayne, Indiana"
January 30, 2010--Genealogical Society of Kendall County, Boerne, TX,
9:00 a.m. to 4 p.m.  Topics: “Roll Call: New Sites and Sources for
Military Records and Research,” “Mining the Mother Lode: Using
Periodical Literature for Genealogical Research,” “Using Church
Records in Your Genealogical Research,” and “’Pain in the Access:’
Getting More from the Internet for Your Genealogy”

***************************************
Area Calendar of Events
***************************************
Allen County Genealogical Society of Indiana (ACGSI)
January 13, 2010, 6:30 p.m. social time; 7 p.m. program.  Allen County
Public Library, 900 Library Plaza, Fort Wayne, IN, Meeting Room A.
Marge Graham will present “The Fifer Sisters and the Brick Wall They
Created.”

Allen County-Fort Wayne Historical Society, 302 East Berry, Ft. Wayne, IN
January 3, 2010, 2:00 p.m. – Curt Witcher will present “A Commitment
to Excellence in Genealogy: How the Public Library Became a Major
Tourist Attraction in Fort Wayne, Indiana."

***************************************
Driving Directions to the Library
***************************************
Wondering how to get to the library?  Our location is 900 Library
Plaza, Fort Wayne, Indiana, in the block bordered on the south by
Washington Boulevard, the west by Ewing Street, the north by Wayne
Street, and the east by the Library Plaza, formerly Webster Street.
We would enjoy having you visit the Genealogy Center.

To get directions from your exact location to 900 Library Plaza, Fort
Wayne, Indiana, visit this link at MapQuest:
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&addtohistory=&address=900%20Webster%20St&city=Fort%20Wayne&state=IN&zipcode=46802%2d3602&country=US&geodiff=1

>From the South
Exit Interstate 69 at exit 102.  Drive east on Jefferson Boulevard
into downtown. Turn left on Ewing Street. The Library is one block
north, at Ewing Street and Washington Boulevard.

Using US 27:
US 27 turns into Lafayette Street. Drive north into downtown. Turn
left at Washington Boulevard and go five blocks. The Library will be
on the right.

>From the North
Exit Interstate 69 at exit 112.  Drive south on Coldwater Road, which
merges into Clinton Street.  Continue south on Clinton to Washington
Boulevard. Turn right on Washington and go three blocks. The Library
will be on the right.

>From the West
Using US 30:
Drive into town on US 30.  US 30 turns into Goshen Ave. which
dead-ends at West State Blvd.  Make an angled left turn onto West
State Blvd.  Turn right on Wells Street.  Go south on Wells to Wayne
Street.  Turn left on Wayne Street.  The Library will be in the second
block on the right.

Using US 24:
After crossing under Interstate 69, follow the same directions as from
the South.

>From the East
Follow US 30/then 930 into and through New Haven, under an overpass
into downtown Fort Wayne.  You will be on Washington Blvd. when you
get into downtown.  Library Plaza will be on the right.

Public lots are located at the corner of Ewing and Wayne Streets ($1
each for the first two half-hours, $1 per hour after, with a $4 per
day maximum) and the corner of Jefferson Boulevard and Harrison Street
($3 per day).

Street (metered) parking on Ewing and Wayne Streets. On the street you
plug the meters 8am – 5pm, weekdays only.  It is free to park on the
street after 5pm and on the weekends.

Visitor center/Grand Wayne Center garage at Washington and Clinton
Streets. This is the Hilton Hotel parking lot that also serves as a
day parking garage.  For hourly parking, 7am – 11 pm, charges are .50
for the first 45 minutes, then $1.00 per hour.  There is a flat $2.00
fee between 5pm and 11pm.

***************************************
Genealogy Center Queries
***************************************
The Genealogy Center hopes you find this newsletter interesting.
Thank you for subscribing.  We cannot, however, answer personal
research emails written to the e-zine address.  The department houses
a Research Center that makes photocopies and conducts research for a
fee.

If you have a general question about our collection, or are interested
in the Research Center, please telephone the library and speak to a
librarian who will be glad to answer your general questions or send
you a research center form.  Our telephone number is 260-421-1225.  If
you’d like to email a general information question about the
department, please email: Genealogy [at] ACPL.Info.

***************************************
Publishing Note:
***************************************
This electronic newsletter is published by the Allen County Public
Library's Genealogy Center, and is intended to enlighten readers about
genealogical research methods as well as inform them about the vast
resources of the Allen County Public Library.  We welcome the wide
distribution of this newsletter and encourage readers to forward it to
their friends and societies.  All precautions have been made to avoid
errors.  However, the publisher does not assume any liability to any
party for any loss or damage caused by errors or omissions, no matter
the cause.

To subscribe to “Genealogy Gems,” simply use your browser to go to the
website:  www.GenealogyCenter.Info. Scroll down toward the bottom of
the first screen where it says, "Enter Your Email Address to Subscribe
to "Genealogy Gems."  Enter your email address in the yellow box and
click on "Subscribe." You will be notified with a confirmation email.

If you do not want to receive this e-zine, please follow the link at
the very bottom of the issue of Genealogy Gems you just received or
send an email to kspears [at] acpl.lib.in.us with "unsubscribe e-zine" in
the subject line.

Steve Myers & Curt Witcher, co-editors
  • (no other messages in thread)