Genealogy Gems: News from the Fort Wayne Library No. 72, February 28, 2010
From: Genealogy Gems (genealogygemsgenealogycenter.info)
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 14:56:47 -0800 (PST)
Genealogy Gems:  News from the Fort Wayne Library
No. 72, February 28, 2010

In this issue:
*Spring into Action!
*Request for Assistance
*Encore Presentation--Basics of Scanning Photographs
*The Case for Collecting Social Histories
*“Historical & Biographical Index of the East, Mid South and Mid
West”--a Forgotten Source
*Technology Tip of the Month--Photo Restoration with Adobe Photoshop,
Version 9.02: Color Correction
*Preservation Tip of the Month--Tool Substitutions You May Never Have
Thought About
*Take a Week to Rev Up Your Research!
*Beginning Genealogy
*Question About Ancestry.com
*Genealogy Center Mini-Course: Family History 101
*Genealogy @ Night
*Librarians on Parade
*Area Calendar of Events
*Driving Directions to the Library
*Parking at the Library
*Queries for the Department

***************************************
Spring into Action!
by Curt B. Witcher
***************************************
So many look forward to March and the return of spring.  Who can blame
us after this winter?!  For genealogists, it is a chance to be a bit
more active in traveling to research facilities, walking a few
cemeteries, and visiting some relatives we may have missed during our
holiday gatherings.  Add to the warmer weather all the exciting
activities the Genealogy Center has planned and spring 2010 promises
to be an incredibly exciting time for genealogists and family
historians.  Please look at, and then take advantage of the great
variety of educational opportunities offered in the coming weeks.
Details of programs scheduled through August appear in following
sections of this ezine.

I hope you had the opportunity to watch at least a few episodes of the
PBS series, “Faces of America,” when the snow was flying in February.
Initially broadcast on Wednesday evenings, the last episode is
scheduled to run March 3rd.  To me, it is a great warm-up for the much
anticipated “Who Do You Think You Are?” that will begin airing on NBC
March 5, 2010 at 8 p.m. eastern time.  It is amazing to think that we
are seeing a genealogy series on network television in prime time!
While the stories presented are about the ancestors of famous
individuals, they are choreographed in such a way as to make us think,
and believe, that we can find similarly inspiring, heart-felt stories
in the pages of our own family histories.  Indeed, one of the neat
aspects of these programs is that they confirm again that each of us
has a story to tell.  So, tune in to NBC on Friday evenings at 8 p.m.
beginning March 5th, and support this endeavor.  More information can
be found at the following websites:
<www.NBC.com/who-do-you-think-you-are> and
<www.Ancestry.com/spreadtheword>.

It’s certainly not too soon to mark your April calendars for a
remarkable collection of events.  First, the Indiana Genealogical
Society (IGS) is again holding its annual meeting and conference at
the Allen County Public Library—for the second time since we opened
our newly remodeled and expanded Main Library in 2007.  Friday, April
9th is the annual pre-conference society management seminar.  This
year the focus is on preservation.  Four sessions will be offered
under the banner “Preservation from the Bottom Up”--preservation at
the personal level, preservation at the local society level,
preservation at the county level, and preservation at the archive
level.  Margery Graham of our local genealogical society, Shirley
Fields and Marlene Polster of the Indiana Genealogical Society, and
Steve McShane of the Calumet Archives are among the presenters.  It
should be a great day of information sharing and networking.

The actual conference is on Saturday, April 10th, and will feature
Dick Eastman.  It will be a real treat for genealogists from across
the state to spend a day with Dick. He is well known for his knowledge
of technology topics, and for demonstrating and encouraging the
appropriate use of technology in genealogy.  His topics will include
“Genealogy Searches on Google,” “Blogging for Genealogists,”
“Conservation: Keeping Up With Technology,” and “Grandpa in Your
Pocket: Portable Gadgets for Genealogists.”  Other presenters will
also be giving lectures that day.  For a complete list of events and
to register, visit the IGS website at <www.IndGenSoc.org>.  One final
note of importance about this IGS weekend: for attendees of the
seminar or conference, the Genealogy Center will be offering extended
research hours from 6 PM to 12 midnight on Friday, April 9th.

Last year, the Allen County Public Library entered into a partnership
with the state of Indiana and the Indiana State Museum to curate and
provide access to the non-artifact portion of the former Lincoln
Museums collections--the books, manuscripts, newspapers, and other
documents.  Some of you may have noticed the Lincoln button on the
bottom left-hand side of the library’s homepage <www.ACPL.Info> that
leads one to increasing numbers of digitized materials.  To help
highlight some of the treasures in that collection as well as inform
individuals about the life and legacy of Abraham Lincoln, the library
has also been planning a number of programs.  Sunday, April 11, 2010
at 2 PM in the first floor meeting rooms of the Main Library, we will
be presenting “CSI Ford’s Theatre: The Lincoln Assassination.”  A CSI
investigator from the Fort Wayne police department, who has studied
Lincoln documents relating to the assassination, will share how that
crime scene would have been handled differently today.  It should be
an interesting and informative look at that terrible episode in our
nation’s history.

Before the April event, though, there are two Lincoln activities in
the month of March, both on Monday, March 15, 2010.  From 11:30 a.m.
to 1:00 p.m. bring your brown bag lunch to the Main Library, 900
Library Plaza, Meeting Room A, for a program with Dr. Michael
Burlingame as he discusses his book, “The Inner World of Abraham
Lincoln.”  Dr. Burlingame will also give the annual R. Gerald McMurtry
Lecture that evening on "Abraham Lincoln: A Biographer's Quest."  That
program will be at 7:30 p.m. in the Theater, Lower Level 2, of the
Main Library at 900 Library Plaza in Fort Wayne.  This is a great
opportunity to celebrate the life and legacy of Abraham Lincoln. Both
programs are free.

***************************************
Request for Assistance
***************************************
This year, the Genealogy Center of the Allen County Public Library
will be embarking on a process to create a new web presence that is
more informative, intuitive, and easier to navigate.  We are engaged
with a firm that would like to speak with users of our Genealogy
website.  The firm is interested in real-life experiences of
genealogists who visit us virtually.  If you are interested in
participating, please send an email to CWitcher [at] ACPL.Info with
“Website Redesign” in the subject line.

***************************************
Encore Presentation--Basics of Scanning Photographs
***************************************
Though more than forty individuals showed up for our February 10th
program on “Basics of Scanning Photographs,” we received a number of
calls from people who had to cancel because of the inclement weather.
So, we are offering the program again on Wednesday March 10, 2010, at
2:30 PM in Meeting Room C.  Please register by email to
Genealogy [at] ACPL.Info or call 260-421-1225.  [Note:  The February
program did receive rave reviews.]

***************************************
The Case for Collecting Social Histories
by John D. Beatty
***************************************
The Genealogy Center collects books on a variety of topics. Many are
compiled with the genealogical researcher in mind, including family
and county histories, abstracts of vital and county courthouse
records, cemetery transcriptions, and military rosters. Scanning the
indexes of these works, genealogists can make a quick determination
about whether an ancestor is mentioned and whether the reference has
direct value for their research.

Some volumes in our collection are not so straightforward, however.
Many are academic works written by professional historians and
published by university presses. At first glance they may not appear
to have much genealogical value, but they do cover a myriad of
historical topics, often in a local context. Some are histories of
cities, written not in the antiquarian mode of collecting names of
early settlers, but as studies of settlement patterns and the factors
influencing their industrial, religious, economic, or cultural growth.
Others trace the story of ethnic groups, such as Irish, Germans,
Poles, or Jews, living in a particular city, state or region.
Histories of military units from the American Revolution to Desert
Storm may not list every soldier, but they often discuss important
battles or cite references to archival collections worthy of closer
study. Some books document the history of transportation, covering
turnpikes, canals, highways, and railroads, and give clues to how and
where our ancestors traveled. Still other social histories document
the living conditions of families residing in a particular area and
time period, as, for example, colonial New England or parts of the
South during Reconstruction. They may focus on such diverse topics as
child rearing, death and burial customs, mortality rates, economic
conditions, agricultural practices, and courtship rituals. It is
unlikely that genealogists, perusing such books for specific
ancestors, will find an individual name of direct relevance. And yet
they should not be so quick to disregard them.

Academic histories provide an important way to explore the world of
our ancestors and place them into a larger historical context. If one
of our goals is to write well-documented, well-grounded family
histories, then studying the variety of works published by academic
presses, especially those pertaining to the places where our ancestors
lived, will add depth and meaning to our work.

Let me share a personal example. Some years ago I wrote a book about
my paternal grandmother, whose grandparents had immigrated to Detroit
from Germany in the nineteenth century. The family did not leave
behind much in the way of archival material. We had family Bibles and
a few anecdotes, and I did what I could to expand their stories using
church, cemetery, vital, census, newspaper, directory, and military
sources. German church registers from the Family History Library
allowed me to extend the lines back, in some cases, to the seventeenth
century. But the manuscript, as I developed it, was still largely a
collection of names and dates.

I was able to enrich the work by examining some social histories about
Detroit. For example, Richard J. Oestreicher’s book, “Solidarity and
Fragmentation: Working People and Class Consciousness in Detroit,
1875-1900” (Urbana: University of Illinois Press, 1986), and Olivier
Zunz’s “The Changing Face of Inequality: Urbanization, Industrial
Development, and Immigrants in Detroit, 1880-1920” (Chicago:
University of Chicago Press, 1982), both offered statistics on the
numbers of immigrants in Detroit, placing immigration in the context
of other Midwestern cities. Oestreicher also compared the wages of
skilled laborers by occupation versus unskilled laborers. No, my
immigrant ancestors were not mentioned by name in these books, but I
gained a better understanding of the ethnic German east-side
neighborhood where they resided.

The Genealogy Center holds these and hundreds of other social
histories for other communities, regions, and time periods. In order
to find those that might enhance your own research, use our online
catalog to search by place, both by county and city. Also consider
expanding your search to include a state or region, or adding the
words “society” or “social conditions” to a keyword search. Many
useful books are overlooked because initial searches are too limited
or a research topic is too specific. Expand your search and think
creatively. If an ancestor immigrated, look for histories of his
ethnic group. Professionally-written local histories can improve our
focus as researchers and writers, even if our ancestors are not
mentioned specifically in them.

***************************************
“Historical & Biographical Index of the East, Mid South and Mid
West”--a Forgotten Source
by Dawne Slater-Putt, CG
***************************************
As wonderful as it can be to “Google it” or find it in Ancestry,
Heritage Quest or Footnote, seasoned genealogists know that not
everything is online. Much family history information – and many true
“genie gems” – still can be found only by researching in books and
microfilms in libraries, visiting local county courthouses and walking
through cemeteries. One little-known treasure is the “Historical &
Biographical Index of the East, Mid South and Mid West U.S.
1800-ca.1900.”

Compiled in the 1960s and 1970s by staff and volunteers of the
Genealogy Center, this “Historical & Biographical Index” is a series
of approximately 180,000 index cards on 33 rolls of microfilm (cabinet
66-B-7). Each card represents an individual mentioned in a
biographical sketch in a 19th century county history, either as the
main subject or in the text. The cards are arranged alphabetically by
surname, then first name, and include the source’s title and
publication information, the ACPL call number, and the page number.

However, the “Historical & Biographical Index” is not an everyname
index to the biographies in each volume. Generally, if the book
already had a thorough index, only the name of the principal subject
of each biography was culled. Histories from New England to Colorado
to the Mid-Atlantic are represented among the more than 280 volumes
included, but greatest emphasis was on the Great Lakes region. Sources
covered by the project are listed in two printed guides: by title and
by call number, in separate lists, in 973 H614, and alphabetically by
state, and within that list by county, in 973 H614a.

The “Historical & Biographical Index” is available at the Genealogy
Center, and also on microfilm through the Family History Library in
Salt Lake City, Utah. Researchers who cannot visit the Genealogy
Center may borrow the films at their local Family History Center, and
order copies of biographical sketches through the Genealogy Center’s
Research Center by using the Quick Copy service on the form at
http://www.acpl.lib.in.us/genealogy/QuickSearchRequest.pdf.

While the “Historical & Biographical Index” is not an everyname index,
this may be one “forgotten” source that would be worth checking,
particularly for those with an interest in the Great Lakes region.
Effective family history research entails “surfing” back and forth
from the Internet to library materials and local area resources in
order to obtain the best results.

***************************************
Technology Tip of the Month--Photo Restoration with Adobe Photoshop,
Version 9.02: Color Correction
by Kay Spears
***************************************
Restoration of color photographs is a little more complicated than
restoring black and white photographs, and here’s why: there is a
difference between RGB and CMYK. RGB, or Red-Green-Blue, are the
primary colors of your computer monitor and they are defined by light.
At some point, you will want to print that photograph. The problem
with printing the vibrant color you see on your screen is that it will
be printed with CMYK colors. CMYK, or Cyan-Magenta-Yellow-blacK, are
the primary colors defined by printer ink. And printer ink is made up
of dyes and pigments, not light, so the colors that were perfect on
screen will be different when printed. What you see on your computer
monitor is not necessarily what you will get.

Having said that, this is what I suggest. Treat problems such as
scratches, watermarks, cracks, pencil marks, etc., basically the same
way you would on black and white photographs. You will use the same
tools: Clone, Feather, Layer and Contrast. However, if the problem is
a discoloration of the photo, then you need to be fairly knowledgeable
in the use of Photoshop. You should familiarize yourself with the
different Adjustment Layers and Color Channels. The Adjustment Layers
can be found on the menu bar under Image>Adjustments or among the
drop-down selections along the bottom of the Layers Palette. To access
the Color Channels, click the Channels tab on the Layers Palette.
Another tool I use for color adjustment is the Exposure Adjustment
tool, located on the menu bar: Image>Adjustments>Exposure. When this
dialog box is open, you have the options to change the Exposure,
Offset or Gamma of a photograph. Take time to experiment with all of
these tools and learn their capabilities. However, I recommend that
you print out the photograph after each repair to see how the change
you made will appear when printed. Eventually, you’ll learn how to
handle the color discrepancy between your monitor and your printer.
And don’t forget that everyone else’s monitor and printer will produce
different results than yours.

I recommend a marvelous book called “Adobe Photoshop Restoration &
Retouching” by Katrin Eismann. This resource is full of detail, so
don’t let it be daunting. I’ve found it invaluable when I’ve been
stumped on how to fix a problem color photograph.

Next:  Reference material

***************************************
Preservation Tip of the Month--Tool Substitutions You May Never Have
Thought About
by Becky Schipper
***************************************
For those of you who are not members of the Guild of Book Workers, I
would like to share several tips from the February newsletter. These
came from the Conservation Corner column by Tish Brewer of The Center
for Art Conservation.

Tool substitutions you may never have thought about is her topic.

**Soot sponges.
These are also referred to as vulcanized rubber sponges or dirt sponges.
These are used for removing surface grime, particularly soot and small
amounts of inactive mold. They are especially useful for coated papers
if used gently. They are inexpensive and disposable. They can be
obtained from industries in the automotive field as off-cuts.

**Tools for detail work.
These include dental and surgical tools, tools used in pottery making,
leather working tools and many other small gadgets found at flea
markets and antique malls. Repurposed for conservation and bookbinding
they can substitute for more expensive professional tools.

**Lifting tools.
Reeds from musical instruments make great lifting tools. They are
strong, thin, inexpensive, and disposable. They can be easily modified
to any shape. Reeds can be used dry to aid in lifting as supports or
can be used wet with water and solvents for removing tape and labels.

In these times of trying to be lean and green, these hints demonstrate
ways of doing both.
Thanks, Tish.

***************************************
Take a Week to Rev Up Your Research!
***************************************
Our annual harbinger of Spring, "March Madness, Genealogy Style," is
ready to go. The week of March 14th to March 20th, we are offering
daily events to help you shake your winter research doldrums. Join us
for any or all of the following classes.

+Sunday March 14, 2010, 1:00-2:00 PM: "Genealogy Center Tour" --
Genealogy Center Entrance
Join us for a tour of the Genealogy Center. If you ever have felt
overwhelmed by the sheer size of the department, this tour will help
familiarize you with the different areas and their contents, as well
as research procedures. Space is limited. Call 260-421-1225 or email
Genealogy [at] ACPL.Info to register.

+Monday, March 15, 2010, 2:00-3:00 PM: "The Basics of How To Use the
Genealogy Center" -- Globe Room
Have you taken the tour of the Genealogy Center and still felt
confused? Do you wonder how all the details make sense to other
people? Spend time with a staff member who will explain the catalog,
microtext area, and how to use the facility. Note: This session is not
a beginning genealogy class, but rather an explanation of the
collection. Call 260-421-1225 or email Genealogy [at] ACPL.Info to
register.

+Tuesday, March 16, 2010, 2:00-3:00 PM, "Using Periodicals at the
Genealogy Center" -- Meeting Room A
Why would anyone want to use those little newsletters for genealogy
research? What can you find in those publications? And where can you
find those serials? This lecture will discuss the benefits of using
all types of genealogy and local history periodicals in the quest for
your ancestors, provide a brief overview of how to use the "Periodical
Source Index" (PERSI), and give information on how to locate the
specific issue you seek in the ACPL Genealogy Center's massive
collection. Call 260-421-1225 or email Genealogy [at] ACPL.Info to
register.

+Wednesday, March 17, 2010, 10:00-11:00 AM, "Writing Your Family
History: A Primer" -- Meeting Room A
This lecture will present an overview of some of the attributes of
good genealogical writing and will offer some guidance on how to
produce a book or article of lasting quality. The class will not
discuss or review genealogy software. Instead, we will look at various
forms of genealogical writing, the philosophy of documentation, and
other aesthetic attributes that go into making a quality family
history. Call 260-421-1225 or email Genealogy [at] ACPL.Info to register.

+Thursday, March 18, 2010, 10:00-11:00 AM, "Using Footnote.com" --
Meeting Room A
Learn how to browse through documents and search for an individual or
a specific historic event using Footnote.com. View, print, and save
original historical and federal documents dating from the Colonial era
to the 20th century. Learn how to share personal stories and upload
digital copies of historic documents that you own. Call 260-421-1225
or email Genealogy [at] ACPL.Info to register.

+Friday & Saturday, March 19 & 20, 2010, 9:00 AM-4:00 PM, "Irish &
Scots-Irish Genealogy: Part 2, A Two Day Mini-Course" -- Meeting Room
B-C
This workshop is an excellent way for researchers with some experience
in using basic Irish records to learn about additional sources and
techniques that lead to success. Topics covered include Irish local
history publications and manuscript collections. There is a fee for
this program, and space is limited. Call 260-421-1225 or email
Genealogy [at] ACPL.Info for more information.

***************************************
Beginning Genealogy
Indiana. Fee $10. Pre-registration required. Call 260-672-2585 for
more information.

***************************************
Questions About Using Ancestry.com?
***************************************
Whether you are just beginning to use the Ancestry.com databases, or
simply need a little more guidance, plan to attend “Searching
Ancestry.com” on Saturday, May 15, 2010, in Meeting Room A. In this
hour-long lecture, Melissa Shimkus will teach you how to improve your
searches as well as demonstrate new strategies to maximize your use of
Ancestry's tools. Plan to be in Room A at 10 AM to begin uncovering
the secrets to your family's past. Register via email at
Genealogy [at] ACPL.Info or by calling 260-421-1225.

***************************************
Genealogy Center Mini-Course: Family History 101
***************************************
Our very popular mini-course, "Family History 101," will be offered
June 18 and 19, 2010.  Instructors Margery Graham, CG and Steve Myers,
MLS, will again provide an excellent way for the beginner to get
started, for newer researchers to review important concepts and
sources, and for seasoned researchers to refresh their skills. "Family
History 101" will cover the following topics:

Session 1: Getting Started on Your Family History--Start your family
history adventure off on the right foot. Learn about important first
steps, home sources, interviewing, organizing what you collect,
standard forms, using computer catalogs, and more!

Session 2: Basic Research Methods--Learn how to plan a successful
search, gather evidence, and record and document what you find.

Session 3: Census Records - A Cornerstone Source--Learn how federal
population schedules, state census records, as well as auxiliary
schedules and census substitutes can all help advance your research.

Session 4: Vital Records - Birth, Marriage & Death--Learn how to use
published and online sources for vital records, how to contact record
offices, and how newspaper and cemetery records can fill in the gaps.

Session 5: Published Local History & Family History Sources—Learn
about the wealth of information available in local history
publications, how to track down obscure sources, and how to find out
what others have already done on your families.

Session 6: Directories, Maps & Gazetteers--Learn about the many
features of directories, maps and place name dictionaries that can
help you pin down exactly where your ancestors lived and what they
were doing there.

The registration fee for the "Family History 101" mini-course is $50.
Checks should be made payable to "ACPL Foundation" and mailed to:
Genealogy Center, Allen County Public Library, P.O. Box 2270, Fort
Wayne, IN 46801-2270. Mini-course attendance will be limited, so
register early to avoid disappointment. Additional information and a
workshop schedule will be posted soon on our Web site at
http://www.acpl.lib.in.us/genealogy/programs.html  Margery Graham and
Steve Myers are already scheduled to offer "Family History: Beyond the
Basics," covering more advanced sources and problem solving, on Friday
and Saturday, September 17-18, 2010.

**************************************
Genealogy @ Night
**************************************
This summer, take the opportunity to expand your research knowledge
after the heat of the day but before the Sun goes down. On the third
Tuesday of June, July, and August, the Genealogy center will offer a
research guidance lecture. Cynthia Theusch will offer information on
doing "French Canadian Research at ACPL" on June 15, John Beatty will
present "Researching Indiana Court Records" on July 20, and Dawne
Slater-Putt will cap the series by telling us about "Cataloging 3-D
Items & Heirlooms" on August 17. All of these are at 6:30 PM in
Meeting Room A. Look for more information at our Website
http://www.acpl.lib.in.us/genealogy/programs.html and remember to
register soon via email to Genealogy [at] ACPL.Info or by phone at
260-421-1225. Plan to visit us in the evenings this summer!

***************************************
Librarians on Parade
***************************************
Curt Witcher
March 13, 2010, Mishawaka-Penn-Harris Public Library, 209 Lincoln Way
East, Mishawaka, IN, South Bend Area Genealogical Society’s Michiana
Genealogy Fair, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.  Presentations: “Marching On: Major
Military Sites on the Internet” and “Non-Population Schedules.”
March 19, 2010, Emmanuel Lutheran Church, 1917 West Jefferson Blvd.,
Ft. Wayne, IN, 12:45 p.m.  Presentation: “Leaving a Legacy.”
April 10, 2010, Allen County Public Library, 900 Library Plaza, Ft.
Wayne, IN, Indiana Genealogical Society Annual Meeting and Conference,
2 p.m.  Presentation: “’Our Military Heritage’ and WeRelate: Two
Digital Initiatives of the ACPL Genealogy Center.”
April 23, 2010, SeaGate Convention Centre, downtown Toledo, OH, Ohio
Genealogical Society Annual Conference.  8 a.m. presentation: “This I
Believe: The Urgent Need to Record Living History.” 1 p.m.
presentation: “More Toys & A Bigger Sandbox: Online Advances for
Genealogists.”

John Beatty
March 17, 2010, Allen County Public Library, 900 Library Plaza, Fort
Wayne, IN, Meeting Room A, 2 p.m.  Presentation: “Writing Your Family
History: A Primer.”

Steve Myers
March 19-20, 2010, Allen County Public Library, 900 Library Plaza, Ft.
Wayne, IN, Meeting Room B-C, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. both days.  “Irish &
Scots-Irish Genealogy, Part 2:  A Two Day Mini-Course.”

Melissa Shimkus
March 15, 2010, Allen County Public Library, 900 Library Plaza, Ft.
Wayne, IN, Globe Meeting Room, 2 p.m.  Presentation: “The Basics of
How to Use the Genealogy Center.”
March 16, 2010, Allen County Public Library, 900 Library Plaza, Ft.
Wayne, IN, Meeting Room A, 2 p.m.  Presentation: “Using Periodicals at
the Genealogy Center.”
April 10, 2010, Allen County Public Library, 900 Library Plaza, Ft.
Wayne, IN, Indiana Genealogical Society Annual Meeting and Conference,
11 a.m.  Presentation: “Voyages At Your Fingertips: Online Immigration
Records.”

Dawne Slater-Putt
March 14, 2010, Allen County Public Library, 900 Library Plaza, Ft.
Wayne, IN, Genealogy Center Entrance, 1 p.m.  Genealogy Center Tour.

Kay Spears
March 10, 2010, Allen County Public Library, 900 Library Plaza, Ft.
Wayne, Meeting Room C, 2:30 p.m.  “Basics of Scanning Photographs.”
Note: This popular presentation fell on a day of inclement weather in
February.  And though forty-four people still showed up, we are
offering it again for those who could not make the February class.
April 10, 2010, Allen County Public Library, 900 Library Plaza, Ft.
Wayne, IN, Indiana Genealogical Society Annual Meeting and Conference,
3:30 p.m.  Presentation: “Photo Restoration Using Adobe Photoshop.”

Cynthia Theusch
March 18, 2010, Allen County Public Library, 900 Library Plaza, Ft.
Wayne, IN, Meeting Room A, 10 a.m.  Presentation: “Using
Footnote.com.”

***************************************
Area Calendar of Events
***************************************
Allen County Genealogical Society of Indiana (ACGSI)
March 10, 2010, 6:30 p.m. social time; 7 p.m. program.  Allen County
Public Library, 900 Library Plaza, Fort Wayne, IN, Meeting Room A.  A
Census Bureau director will present “The 2010 Census.”

Allen County-Fort Wayne Historical Society, 302 East Berry, Ft. Wayne, IN
March 7, 2010, 2:00 p.m. – Anita Cast will present “The Philharmonic’s
Story: From Maestros Schweiger to Constantine."

***************************************
Driving Directions to the Library
***************************************
Wondering how to get to the library?  Our location is 900 Library
Plaza, Fort Wayne, Indiana, in the block bordered on the south by
Washington Boulevard, the west by Ewing Street, the north by Wayne
Street, and the east by the Library Plaza, formerly Webster Street.
We would enjoy having you visit the Genealogy Center.

To get directions from your exact location to 900 Library Plaza, Fort
Wayne, Indiana, visit this link at MapQuest:
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&addtohistory=&address=900%20Webster%20St&city=Fort%20Wayne&state=IN&zipcode=46802%2d3602&country=US&geodiff=1

>From the South
Exit Interstate 69 at exit 102.  Drive east on Jefferson Boulevard
into downtown. Turn left on Ewing Street. The Library is one block
north, at Ewing Street and Washington Boulevard.

Using US 27:
US 27 turns into Lafayette Street. Drive north into downtown. Turn
left at Washington Boulevard and go five blocks. The Library will be
on the right.

>From the North
Exit Interstate 69 at exit 112.  Drive south on Coldwater Road, which
merges into Clinton Street.  Continue south on Clinton to Washington
Boulevard. Turn right on Washington and go three blocks. The Library
will be on the right.

>From the West
Using US 30:
Drive into town on US 30.  US 30 turns into Goshen Ave. which
dead-ends at West State Blvd.  Make an angled left turn onto West
State Blvd.  Turn right on Wells Street.  Go south on Wells to Wayne
Street.  Turn left on Wayne Street.  The Library will be in the second
block on the right.

Using US 24:
After crossing under Interstate 69, follow the same directions as from
the South.

>From the East
Follow US 30/then 930 into and through New Haven, under an overpass
into downtown Fort Wayne.  You will be on Washington Blvd. when you
get into downtown.  Library Plaza will be on the right.

Public lots are located at the corner of Ewing and Wayne Streets ($1
each for the first two half-hours, $1 per hour after, with a $4 per
day maximum) and the corner of Jefferson Boulevard and Harrison Street
($3 per day).

Street (metered) parking on Ewing and Wayne Streets. On the street you
plug the meters 8am – 5pm, weekdays only.  It is free to park on the
street after 5pm and on the weekends.

Visitor center/Grand Wayne Center garage at Washington and Clinton
Streets. This is the Hilton Hotel parking lot that also serves as a
day parking garage.  For hourly parking, 7am – 11 pm, charges are .50
for the first 45 minutes, then $1.00 per hour.  There is a flat $2.00
fee between 5pm and 11pm.

***************************************
Genealogy Center Queries
***************************************
The Genealogy Center hopes you find this newsletter interesting.
Thank you for subscribing.  We cannot, however, answer personal
research emails written to the e-zine address.  The department houses
a Research Center that makes photocopies and conducts research for a
fee.

If you have a general question about our collection, or are interested
in the Research Center, please telephone the library and speak to a
librarian who will be glad to answer your general questions or send
you a research center form.  Our telephone number is 260-421-1225.  If
you’d like to email a general information question about the
department, please email: Genealogy [at] ACPL.Info.

***************************************
Publishing Note:
***************************************
This electronic newsletter is published by the Allen County Public
Library's Genealogy Center, and is intended to enlighten readers about
genealogical research methods as well as inform them about the vast
resources of the Allen County Public Library.  We welcome the wide
distribution of this newsletter and encourage readers to forward it to
their friends and societies.  All precautions have been made to avoid
errors.  However, the publisher does not assume any liability to any
party for any loss or damage caused by errors or omissions, no matter
the cause.

To subscribe to “Genealogy Gems,” simply use your browser to go to the
website:  www.GenealogyCenter.Info. Scroll down toward the bottom of
the first screen where it says, "Enter Your Email Address to Subscribe
to "Genealogy Gems."  Enter your email address in the yellow box and
click on "Subscribe." You will be notified with a confirmation email.

If you do not want to receive this e-zine, please follow the link at
the very bottom of the issue of Genealogy Gems you just received or
send an email to kspears [at] acpl.lib.in.us with "unsubscribe e-zine" in
the subject line.

Steve Myers & Curt Witcher, co-editors
  • (no other messages in thread)