Genealogy Gems: News from the Fort Wayne Library, No. 90, August 31, 2011
From: Genealogy Gems (genealogygemsgenealogycenter.info)
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 19:06:17 -0700 (PDT)
Genealogy Gems:  News from the Fort Wayne Library
No. 90, August 31, 2011

In this issue:
*A Day in the Life . . . The Best of Times
*The “Swem Index”
*The Reverend Joseph Brown Turner Collection
*Technology Tip of the Month--Exploring the Ribbon: Home Tab
*Quick-Tip of the Month for Preservation--“Final” Resting Place for
Your Documents & Heirlooms *Family History: Beyond the Basics
Mini-Course
*National Black Genealogy Summit
*Family History Month 2011
*Military Seminar: You Say You Want a Revolution
*Out and About
*Area Calendar of Events
*Driving Directions to the Library
*Parking at the Library
*Queries for The Genealogy Center

***************************************
A Day in the Life . . . The Best of Times
by Curt B. Witcher
***************************************
I had a truly fantastic day on Tuesday, August 2nd, and it reminded me
all over again that these are truly the best of times for
genealogists. I thought I would share some of that day with you.

The day started very early in the morning with an email that contained
an Excel file of transcribed tombstone inscriptions. A number of
individuals are updating cemetery readings that were done in northeast
Indiana cemeteries decades ago. They read the tombstones, key the
data, email it to me, and it’s queued-up for website presentation at
GenealogyCenter.org. I couldn’t help but muse about the stark
difference between the process used thirty years ago and the process
used today. From the old process of gathering the data, writing the
information on index cards, alphabetizing the index cards, typing the
information from the cards, and binding the finished work for access
on our Center’s shelves to the new process of keying, emailing and
posting the data online for access by anyone, anywhere with an
Internet connection. WOW--the best of times! (We have wonderful
volunteers working with us, on everything from cemetery transcriptions
to obituary abstracts, and more! We are truly blessed.)

Mid-morning, I had an engaging meeting with our library’s Young Adult
Services manager about a program she is putting together to involve
youth in deploying technology in ways that stimulate critical
thinking, engage their surroundings, and enable them to be responsible
users of 21st century technology. The program, which she is calling
“Studio D” (D for digital), may be eligible for grant funding. Our
conversation focused on how engaging young people in discovering their
stories--the stories of their families, their neighborhoods, their
ethnicity--might be a meaningful, and perhaps even life-changing, way
for them to learn and utilize contemporary technologies. My mind
quickly raced to the possibilities of using the rap music genre to
tell a family or community story. Young people are drawn to that genre
of music--how cool would it be to have some positive rap. What about a
family or local history mash-up (for those not familiar with the term:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mashup_(web_application_hybrid)>) using
visuals of documents, artifacts and locations along with digital
interviews and electronic diaries? This could be an exciting and
engaging way to foster the next generation of genealogists. The future
of genealogy and family history will definitely look more like this
than a paper family album or published family history.

Late afternoon that same Tuesday, I joined a former colleague and the
director of the Macedonian Patriotic Organization at the historic Fort
Wayne Lindenwood Cemetery. The three of us were on a mission prompted
by a curiosity. A photograph taken at the time of a burial in the
early part of the last century prompted that curiosity. Could we
confirm that the picture was taken in Lindenwood and further, could we
stand on the exact location of those mourners nearly a century ago? We
did determine before arriving at the cemetery that there was a burial
of the same name in the Lindenwood records. A quick stop at the
cemetery office provided the section and row number for the grave. The
cemetery’s executive joined us at the section, and after a brief
period of looking, we found the grave.  Something didn’t look quite
right, though, standing in front of the grave and looking at the very
old trees and the shape of the ground behind the grave. Could this
possibly not be the grave in the picture? Musing, and walking around
behind the tombstone, we suddenly stopped and surveyed the ground from
behind the marker--the stretch of ground in front of the marker that
now included a road. And there was a match! The slope of the land, a
number of the same trees, now much older and taller--they all fit into
the photograph. There was something awesome, something touching,
something nearly sacred about sharing that same ground with those
mourners from generations ago and honoring again the ancestor buried
there. Next year, when those with Macedonian meet in Fort Wayne, we
will be honored to share that place with those gathered.

Touching the present, the past, and the future all in the same
day--fantastically wonderful!

***************************************
The “Swem Index”
by John D. Beatty
***************************************
Virginia is a challenging state in which to research. While
genealogists will find extensive published sources for many counties,
including histories and record extracts, they also have to deal with
the significant loss of original records through courthouse fires.
However, many useful sources from the seventeenth, eighteenth and
early nineteenth centuries, even for so-called “burned counties,” have
been published in various periodicals and statewide sources.

The essential tool for accessing names in these sources is E. G.
Swem’s “Virginia Historical Index” (Gloucester, MA: Peter Smith, 1965)
(Gc 975.5 Sw41vi). Often referred to simply as the “Swem Index,” it
provides access to tens of thousands of names, mostly for the colonial
period, from several major Virginia periodical series: “Lower Norfolk
County Antiquary,” the “Virginia Historical Register,” the “Virginia
Magazine of History,” “Tyler’s Quarterly,” and the first and second
series of the “William and Mary Quarterly.” These journals, in their
early years, published a great variety of historical and genealogical
information, including family histories and abstracts of numerous
original records, manuscript letters, and articles of local interest
on historical subjects. Swem also covered two major secondary sources
for the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries: the “Calendar of
Virginia State Papers” and “Henning’s Statutes at Large,” both of
which contain legislative records from the House of Burgesses,
including many names of petitioners and correspondents to that body.

Arrangement in the Swem Index is alphabetical. After each name, users
will see a volume number of the source followed by a letter code for
that source, then the page number where the name can be found. For
example, among several references for Hutchins Burton, one will find
“8C120” and “17W(1)228.” The first indicates volume 8 of the “Calendar
of Virginia State Papers,” page 120; the second refers to volume 17 of
the “William and Mary Quarterly,” first series, page 228. Swem went
beyond the simple listing of names to include a variety of subject
references to places and specific types of documents, such as family
Bibles, slave records, and petitions. Again using the Hutchins Burton
example, we find a reference specifically to his slaves in one entry.

The Swem Index is a useful tool for anyone doing research in colonial
Virginia and should be one of the first sources consulted.

***************************************
The Reverend Joseph Brown Turner Collection
by Steven W. Myers
***************************************
Today’s genealogists are quick to consult the internet for family
trees, already posted by others, that may serve as an ancestry
shortcut. While the cautious genealogist will favor documented work as
a guide for their own additional searches, others sometimes just copy
the undocumented lineages. Consulting the previous work of other
genealogists is a good idea that can save time and money on your own
project, but why not utilize the results of efforts by accomplished
and experienced investigators? Many genealogists are simply unaware of
the potential sources.

For those with ancestors resident in the Delmarva Peninsula, the
Reverend Joseph Brown Turner Collection is one such valuable source.
The collection consists of the Reverend Turner’s genealogical notes on
some three thousand families who lived in Delaware and on the eastern
shores of Maryland and Virginia. He was particularly interested in
Presbyterian families and compiled extensive files containing notes of
family interviews, and extracts from a variety of records including
probate files, deeds, and church registers, as well as copies of some
published material. The records range in content from the medieval
period to 1935, but principally concern the 17th through 19th
centuries.

A copy of the original Turner Collection, now housed at the Delaware
Public Archives, is available on 647 microfiche in The Genealogy
Center (cabinet F-5). A card file index is reproduced on the first 40
microfiche and provides references to families from Abbe to Zug,
followed by references to places from Alabama through Wisconsin, and
then to those for foreign localities. Each entry includes a location
and a source reference. Some index citations refer to published books
and articles which are not part of Turner’s manuscripts, but can be
found elsewhere in The Genealogy Center’s collections. Each fiche
represents a folder of the manuscript notes, which are reproduced
alphabetically by family from Abbott through Zimmerman on microfiche
41-647.

The range of the Reverend Turner’s investigations into the roots of
Delmarva families is demonstrated by the inclusion in his notes of
extracts from early Irish parish registers in counties Antrim and
Down. Those transcripts, concerning 23 surnames, have been rendered
especially valuable because of the loss of the original records. As
with any genealogist’s work, these notes do contain mistakes, but
researchers will find a rich vein of material that can be profitably
mined and then verified in original sources.

***************************************
Exploring the Ribbon: Home Tab
by Kay Spears
***************************************
Before we look at the Home tab on the “ribbon” in Microsoft Word,
please note the handy zoom tool in the lower right-hand corner of your
screen. Use this easy slide tool to zoom in and out on your document.

The Home tab contains five default command groups: Clipboard, Font,
Paragraph, Styles, and Editing. For the first four, additional options
are available by clicking on the little arrow in the lower right-hand
corner of each group.

Clipboard Group: This is the copy and paste group. I usually use
keyboard shortcuts for copying (Ctrl+c) and pasting (Ctrl+v), but the
tools in this grouping can also be used. Clicking on the little arrow
in the bottom right corner of the group opens the Clipboard Task Pane,
which shows the copy/paste items being stored. You can store up to 24
items on the Clipboard. Also available in the group is an object
called a Format Painter, which looks like a yellow paint brush. This
copies formatting. Select some formatted text. Then, choose the Format
Painter, go to the new text you want formatted and select. The new
text will be formatted to match. This tool is handy if you are trying
to duplicate a “look.”

Font Group: This is the location of all your font tools. Please take
time to experiment with the Text Effects tool, which can help turn
boring text into something quite interesting. Clicking on the little
arrow in the lower right hand corner opens the Font Dialog box. This
is one of the places where you can change default font settings.

Paragraph Group: Bullets, Numbering and Sort are located in the
Paragraph group, along with options for text alignment and spacing.
The Paragraph dialog box (again, lower right hand corner) is the same
as the one in the older version of Word and is also another place
where you can change your default settings. The object that looks like
a paint bucket is the Shading Tool. This adds background highlighting
to text.

Styles Group: Styles for headings are located here. This is also where
you can change the line spacing from 1.15 to 1. Change Styles>Style
Set>Word 2003.

Editing Group: Find, Replace and Select are located here. You can also
use your keyboard for selecting. Hold your Shift key down, then using
the arrow keys, move across or down the text you want to select.
Shift+arrow moves across one character or down one line at a time.
Shift +Ctrl+arrow moves across a whole word or down one paragraph with
each arrow keystroke.

I highly recommend using the default tools for a while before you
start customizing.

Next: the Insert Tab.

***************************************
Quick-Tip of the Month for Preservation--“Final” Resting Place for
Your Documents & Heirlooms
by John D. Beatty
***************************************
We all know the importance of keeping our family documents in
acid-free file folders and boxes and our photographs in
archival-quality plastic or mylar sleeves. We have also discussed in
this column the importance of labeling our photographs and cataloging
and identifying our family heirlooms, such as that vase you inherited
from your great-grandmother, and then maintaining an inventory of
those items. We have also talked about keeping our genealogical
records in good order and even publishing our family history in some
form and leaving it in a genealogical library.

But what happens to all of these precious items when you die? Have you
made provision for your heirlooms in your will? Some people will have
younger generations interested in genealogy who they know will gladly
accept heirlooms and photo albums and agree to preserve them. If so,
you should first be thankful, and then formalize in writing a bequest
of these items to that heir in your will. Sadly, many have no such
heirs and face the prospect of having their treasured heirlooms sold
at an estate sale or even thrown into a dumpster. Don't let that
happen to you. Consider the alternatives while you still can. If you
have no interested heirs, see if there is a library or historical
society in the area where your family lived - or even a state library
or historical society - that would accept your family photos, Bibles,
and letters. Make arrangements to donate them while you can, or make
an appropriate provision in your will for your heirlooms to go there.
Digitize your family photos and family Bible pages and create a family
memory book - even if it is not a full-scale genealogy - and consider
donating it to a library. The peace of mind is well worth it.

[Editor’s note: If you want to share digitized data with others,
including Bible records, diaries, and personal papers, you can simply
send a disk copy to The Genealogy Center stating we have your
permission to share the data online.]

***************************************
Family History: Beyond the Basics Mini-Course
***************************************
If you want to get in on this extremely popular course, you’d better
register soon. Seventy-five percent of the space is already booked!
This informative mini-course, "Family History: Beyond the Basics," is
being offered September 30 & October 1, 2011.  Instructors Margery
Graham and Steve Myers will share their knowledge, guide tours of The
Genealogy Center, and provide assisted research and personal
consultations. "Family History: Beyond the Basics" will cover the
following topics.

Day One:
Session 1: Problem Solving: Breaking through Brick Walls in Your
Research - Every family historian eventually encounters obstacles in
their research that seem insurmountable. Learn some basic strategies
for tackling these so-called "brick walls" that can lead you to
genealogical breakthroughs.

Session 2: Probate Records - Learn how to find and use wills,
administrations and guardianships, as well as the other "goodies"
contained in probate records.

Session 3: Land Records and Tax Lists - Learn the basics of land
descriptions and how deed and land grant records, as well as
associated tax lists, can all help advance your research.

Day Two:
Session 4: Military Records - Following an overview of military record
sources, learn the basics of researching ancestors who served in the
American Civil War (1861-1865) and in the American Revolutionary War
(1775-1783).

Session 5: Church Records - Learn how to identify, locate and use
these important sources of early birth, marriage and death information
for a time period that pre-dates government registration of so-called
"vital records."

Session 6: Tracing Your Ancestors Across the Atlantic - Learn how to
find and use the many sources that bear on this crucial research step.
Naturalization records, passenger lists, European emigration records
and other sources will be discussed.

This course will be in Rooms A & B of the Main Library, 900 Library
Plaza, Fort Wayne, Indiana. The registration fee for the "Family
History: Beyond the Basics" mini-course is $50. Checks should be made
payable to "ACPL Foundation" and mailed to: The Genealogy Center,
Allen County Public Library, P.O. Box 2270, Fort Wayne, IN 46801-2270.
Mini-course attendance will be limited, so register early to avoid
disappointment. In the past this mini-course has filled very quickly
so act today! Additional information and a workshop schedule will be
posted soon on our Web site at
http://www.genealogycenter.org/Events.aspx.

***************************************
National Black Genealogy Summit
***************************************
The National Black Genealogy Summit will take place in Fort Wayne,
Indiana, October 20-22, 2011, at the Allen County Public Library and
the Grand Wayne Convention Center. It will be quite likely the best
event for those interested in exploring African American family
history since a similar summit took place in Fort Wayne in October of
2009. An information-rich website, continually being updated with the
very latest information about the event, can be found at the following
address: www.BlackGenealogyConference.Info

Hosted by the Allen County Public Library and its Foundation, as well
as the African American Genealogical Society of Fort Wayne, this event
has so many outstanding features that it thoroughly entices one to
participate. Planning partners for this event include the
African/African American Historical Society & Museum here in Fort
Wayne; the Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., Fort Wayne Chapter; the
It Is Well With My Soul program initiative; and The Links,
Incorporated, Fort Wayne Chapter.

Last month we highlighted three of the Summit’s speakers: Tony
Burroughs, Tim Pinnick, and Angela Walton-Raji. We want to continue
highlighting the great line-up of speakers. Damani Davis, an extremely
knowledgeable and skilled archivist at the National Archives, will be
speaking on “The Kansas 'Exodusters:' Using Federal Documents to
Explore the First African-American Migration from the South” and
“Immigrants from the Caribbean: Using Federal Records to Locate Black
Ancestors from the British West Indies.” Roberta Estes, a scientist,
genealogist, and expert in the use of DNA for family history research
will be presenting two programs: “DNA and Genealogy: An Introduction”
and “Finding Your Native American and African American Heritage Using
DNA.” Shamele Jordan will be presenting three informative sessions:
“Maps and Genealogy,” “Records of Resistance,” and “Records of the
Rebellion: Documenting African Americans in the Civil War.” Shamele is
a perennial crowd favorite because of the rich amounts of information
she packs into her lectures and her engaging presentation style. Lisa
Lee, a professional genealogist, is the owner of GotGenealogy.com,
where she publishes a monthly newsletter, the Got Genealogy Gazette,
which provides timely and useful information to help genealogists make
the most of their online genealogical searches. She will be
presenting, “Finding Blacks in Canada,” “Finding Your ‘Unfindables’,”
and “Search & Reward Notices.” You can see all the speakers and all
the sessions right now at www.BlackGenealogyConference.Info.

In addition to the program presenters throughout the Summit, there are
three special presentations planned: the ProQuest Plenary Session on
Friday morning, October 21st, the Ancestry.com Banquet on Friday
evening, and the Friends of the ACPL Plenary Session on Saturday
morning, October 22nd.

Award winning author and historian, Carla Peterson, will present the
Friday, October 21, 2011 plenary session titled, "What's Under the
Dust? Recovering Family History from the Archives." Her most recent
publication is an amazing work titled, "Black Gotham: A Family History
of African Americans in Nineteenth-Century New York City." She is a
must hear!

Robin D. Stone will be the banquet speaker on Friday evening, October
21st. Robin is an independent journalist whose work focuses primarily
on health, children, families, and parenting. She is author of "No
Secrets, No Lies: How Black Families Can Heal from Sexual Abuse"
(Broadway Books, 2004). Most importantly and recently, Robin penned a
feature article, "A Legacy of Love & Pride" for the February 2011
edition of Essence magazine, which traces the descendants of a slave
on the infamous L'Hermitage Plantation in Frederick County, MD to a
young Atlanta woman. Robin was Founding Editor-in-Chief of
Essence.com, and Executive and Deputy Editor of Essence.  Under her
stewardship, the magazine earned awards from Folio, the National
Association of Black Journalists, the New York Association of Black
Journalists and the Congressional Black Caucus, among other
organizations.  A journalist for more than 20 years, Robin started her
career in newspapers. She was an editor at The New York Times and The
Boston Globe.  Her contributions to journalism garnered an Outstanding
Alumni Award from her alma mater, Michigan State University, in 2004.
Robin also edited and contributed the Afterword to "My Times in Black
and White: Race and Power at the New York Times" (Lawrence Hill,
2010), the memoir by her late husband, Gerald M. Boyd. That Friday
evening will certainly be an evening to remember.

Visual artist and illustrator, Michele Wood, will give the Saturday,
October 22, 2011 plenary session titled, “Not to Be Forgotten: One
Artist’s Journey of Going Back Home.” Her award-winning and nationally
acclaimed art is vibrant and engaging, as is the story of how her
family's history has guided her hand. A large number of her best
pieces will be on display during the Summit in the library's Jeffrey
R. Krull gallery. Her presentation is a must-hear; her exhibit is a
must-see.

Register today, and bring a friend with you. The registration form is
linked directly at:
www.BlackGenealogyConference.info/sites/default/files/nbgs-registration-form.pdf

***************************************
Family History Month 2011
***************************************
The Genealogy Center's annual Family History Month celebration is just
a month away. As usual, we have 31 days packed with educational
opportunities for the genealogist, starting with our Family History:
Beyond the Basics mini-course. Other sessions will cover Family Tree
Maker, blogging, Microsoft Word, and Adobe Elements. One-on-One
Consultations will take place by appointment every Tuesday, as well as
on the fourth Wednesday. As just mentioned above, the month will also
feature the National Black Genealogy Summit, an outstanding three-day
event for researchers of African American family history and heritage.
See the calendar
<www.genealogycenter.org/Libraries/Brochures/FHM_Calendar.sflb.ashx>
for dates, times and other information. For more information or to
register for most events, call 260-421-1225, or send us an email at
Genealogy [at] ACPL.Info.

***************************************
Military Seminar: You Say You Want a Revolution
***************************************
Join us for a day of learning how to locate your Revolutionary War
ancestor on Saturday, November 12, 2011. This seminar will be
presented by the Mary Penrose Wayne Chapter of the Daughters of the
American Revolution, the Anthony Halberstadt Chapter National Society
Sons of the American Revolution, and The Genealogy Center staff. This
all-day event features methodology lectures, historical presentations,
opportunities for advice on lineage applications, and a tour of The
Genealogy Center.

In the morning, you will learn about the genealogical resources of the
National Society Daughters of the American Revolution including how to
use the DAR's genealogical records collection and the DAR library
catalog. Tutorials on the application process for the DAR and SAR will
be provided as well as an examination of Revolutionary War pensions.
In the afternoon, one will be given the choice of attending an SAR
meeting, featuring a program by William Sharp on "The Siege at Bryan's
Station," or attending a DAR meeting, featuring a presentation by Bob
Jones who is a Revolutionary Soldier Re-Enactor. Tours of The
Genealogy Center will also take place in the afternoon. You can even
schedule a 30 minute consultation with a DAR or SAR member to discuss
your specific application to the organization. (Note: You must bring
your lineage paperwork to the appointment. Due to limited
availability, send an email to Genealogy [at] ACPL.Info to schedule your
consultation time.) For more information, see the flyer at
<www.genealogycenter.org/Events.aspx> Registration is required for
this free seminar. Please call 260-421-1225 or email
Genealogy [at] ACPL.Info to register.

***************************************
Out and About
***************************************
Curt Witcher
September 6-10, 2011, Federation of Genealogical Societies Annual
Conference, Springfield, IL
“Digital Lincoln: The Lincoln Financial Foundation Collection at the
Allen County (IN) Public Library,” “The Dollars and Cents of
Fundraising,” “Becoming the Outstanding Leader Your Society Needs,”
“Records and Repositories at the Crossroads of America--Indiana
Research,” and “Finding the World with WorldCat.”

***************************************
Area Calendar of Events
***************************************
Allen County Genealogical Society of Indiana (ACGSI)
There are no society meetings during the summer months. Meetings
resume in September.
September 14, 2011--Allen County Public Library, 900 Library Plaza,
Fort Wayne, Indiana. 6:30 p.m. refreshments and social time, 7 p.m.
program. Curt Witcher will present: “America’s Second Revolution:
Records & Resources for War of 1812 Research.”

Allen County-Fort Wayne Historical Society, 302 East Berry, Ft. Wayne, IN
The George R. Mather Sunday Lecture Series will resume again in the fall.

***************************************
Driving Directions to the Library
***************************************
Wondering how to get to the library?  Our location is 900 Library
Plaza, Fort Wayne, Indiana, in the block bordered on the south by
Washington Boulevard, the west by Ewing Street, the north by Wayne
Street, and the east by the Library Plaza, formerly Webster Street.
We would enjoy having you visit the Genealogy Center.

To get directions from your exact location to 900 Library Plaza, Fort
Wayne, Indiana, visit this link at MapQuest:
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&addtohistory=&address=900%20Webster%20St&city=Fort%20Wayne&state=IN&zipcode=46802%2d3602&country=US&geodiff=1

>From the South
Exit Interstate 69 at exit 102.  Drive east on Jefferson Boulevard
into downtown. Turn left on Ewing Street. The Library is one block
north, at Ewing Street and Washington Boulevard.

Using US 27:
US 27 turns into Lafayette Street. Drive north into downtown. Turn
left at Washington Boulevard and go five blocks. The Library will be
on the right.

>From the North
Exit Interstate 69 at exit 112.  Drive south on Coldwater Road, which
merges into Clinton Street.  Continue south on Clinton to Washington
Boulevard. Turn right on Washington and go three blocks. The Library
will be on the right.

>From the West
Using US 30:
Drive into town on US 30.  US 30 turns into Goshen Ave. which
dead-ends at West State Blvd.  Make an angled left turn onto West
State Blvd.  Turn right on Wells Street.  Go south on Wells to Wayne
Street.  Turn left on Wayne Street.  The Library will be in the second
block on the right.

Using US 24:
After crossing under Interstate 69, follow the same directions as from
the South.

>From the East
Follow US 30/then 930 into and through New Haven, under an overpass
into downtown Fort Wayne.  You will be on Washington Blvd. when you
get into downtown.  Library Plaza will be on the right.

Public lots are located at the corner of Ewing and Wayne Streets ($1
each for the first two half-hours, $1 per hour after, with a $4 per
day maximum) and the corner of Jefferson Boulevard and Harrison Street
($3 per day).

Street (metered) parking on Ewing and Wayne Streets. On the street you
plug the meters 8am – 5pm, weekdays only.  It is free to park on the
street after 5pm and on the weekends.

Visitor center/Grand Wayne Center garage at Washington and Clinton
Streets. This is the Hilton Hotel parking lot that also serves as a
day parking garage.  For hourly parking, 7am – 11 pm, charges are .50
for the first 45 minutes, then $1.00 per hour.  There is a flat $2.00
fee between 5pm and 11pm.

***************************************
Genealogy Center Queries
***************************************
The Genealogy Center hopes you find this newsletter interesting.
Thank you for subscribing.  We cannot, however, answer personal
research emails written to the e-zine address.  The department houses
a Research Center that makes photocopies and conducts research for a
fee.

If you have a general question about our collection, or are interested
in the Research Center, please telephone the library and speak to a
librarian who will be glad to answer your general questions or send
you a research center form.  Our telephone number is 260-421-1225.  If
you’d like to email a general information question about the
department, please email: Genealogy [at] ACPL.Info.

***************************************
Publishing Note:
***************************************
This electronic newsletter is published by the Allen County Public
Library's Genealogy Center, and is intended to enlighten readers about
genealogical research methods as well as inform them about the vast
resources of the Allen County Public Library.  We welcome the wide
distribution of this newsletter and encourage readers to forward it to
their friends and societies.  All precautions have been made to avoid
errors.  However, the publisher does not assume any liability to any
party for any loss or damage caused by errors or omissions, no matter
the cause.

To subscribe to “Genealogy Gems,” simply use your browser to go to the
website:  www.GenealogyCenter.org. Scroll to the bottom, click on
E-zine, and fill out the form. You will be notified with a
confirmation email.

If you do not want to receive this e-zine, please follow the link at
the very bottom of the issue of Genealogy Gems you just received or
send an email to kspears [at] acpl.lib.in.us with "unsubscribe e-zine" in
the subject line.

Steve Myers & Curt Witcher, co-editors
  • (no other messages in thread)