Genealogy Gems: News from the Fort Wayne Library No. 91, September 30, 2011
From: Genealogy Gems (genealogygemsgenealogycenter.info)
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 19:35:19 -0700 (PDT)
Genealogy Gems: News from the Fort Wayne Library
No. 91, September 30, 2011

In this issue:
*Ties that Bind
*Civil War Veterans Living in Wisconsin Soldiers’ Homes
*1900 and 1910 Indian Population Schedules
*Technology Tip of the Month--The Microsoft Word Ribbon: Insert Tab
*Quick-Tip of the Month for Preservation--Protecting the Family Silver
*Family History Month 2011
*National Black Genealogy Summit
*Military Seminar: You Say You Want a Revolution
*WinterTech is Coming!
*Out and About
*Area Calendar of Events
*Driving Directions to the Library
*Parking at the Library
*Queries for The Genealogy Center

***************************************
Ties that Bind
by Curt B. Witcher
***************************************
Those outside the family history field often muse about why
genealogists do what they do--spend time, energy and treasure
researching their family histories. Perhaps some genealogists also
ponder this question, particularly when the research isn't producing
expected results. There are almost as many reasons for engaging in
genealogical research as there are individuals doing it. I believe a
common thread among all the reasons, spoken and unspoken, is the quest
to discover another part, another chapter, of one’s story. Further, I
believe the quest to tell that story in such a way that it gives light
and meaning to both grand and everyday things is what drives most
individuals to continue their family history. The power of a story
should not be underestimated, nor should its universal appeal. Our
stories are truly the ties that bind us together as families and as
communities.

I continue to be enriched by the stories of my family's life, and the
stories in my life. There are so many that recounting just a small
fraction could fill books. My in-laws have a strong tradition of
preserving the family's history through recording family information
and telling stories. So many holidays were blest with family stories
and recalling life in the "home place" of Wild Dog Creek, Kentucky. I
still recall vividly the first Young family reunion held after the
passing of my father-in-law. Many were looking forward to it but were
apprehensive about it at the same time--the passing of Charlie still
so close. When I saw the itinerary for the afternoon of the gathering,
even the genealogist in me expected a near-disaster. We were all going
to sit from after the mid-day lunch into the evening recalling and
telling stories--no children's activities planned, no hikes on the
park's trails, no volleyball games, no horseshoes, nothing but
stories. Knowing that my own four boys were restless youngsters and
that nearly fifty people would be present, with half that number being
children, I was prepared for a stress-filled afternoon tending to
disinterested children while being unable to hear the stories of
Charlie's brothers and sisters, nephews and nieces. I was completely
wrong--I had underestimated the power and enticement of stories. As
the two hour mark passed, it seemed like little more than a couple of
minutes, and the entire afternoon seemed to evaporate before anyone
realized it. No one wanted it to end, especially not the children who
were fascinated beyond amazement with what Charlie and his siblings
did in the “olden days.” Shining eyes, warm smiles, and knowing looks
punctuated the richness of the many dozens of simple stories shared.
We created lifetimes of memories that day simply with our stories.

Recently a colleague shared with me a story that his father had shared
with him. My colleague's family had a rather odd neighbor. Many of the
children in the neighborhood wondered why the fellow was so odd--what
made him that way. My colleague's father shared, when asked, that the
odd neighbor had been in the Canadian Navy. There was a hull breach on
the neighbor's vessel. His best buddy on that vessel was trapped in
the room where the breach had occurred. The neighbor had to seal-off
the room where his buddy was trapped to keep the ship from sinking and
save the rest of the crew. He had to seal the room containing the hull
breach over the pleadings of his buddy not to leave him behind. The
telling of that powerful story brought into focus for my colleague and
his young friends why this particular individual might be so
disquieted and act in what some perceived as an odd way.

Our stories--your stories and my stories--are the ties the bind our
families together. And I truly believe that is why family history is
important and so appealing to many millions of individuals worldwide.
Family History Month is a great time to make a commitment to
discovering our stories *and* telling our stories. I urge you to write
at least a little bit every day as a way of telling your story. I
encourage you to look for opportunities to hear stories as a way of
bettering your own storytelling skills. And I strongly recommend you
go a bit “outside of the box” in finding opportunities to learn about
storytelling. The Friday evening banquet during the National Black
Genealogy Summit on October 21, 2011 will be a fantastic opportunity
to hear from nationally renowned writer, Robin Stone, about
storytelling. (You can register separately for the banquet from a link
on The Genealogy Center’s homepage.) Her presentation, “Shaping Our
Destiny: The Power of Telling Our Stories,” should be inspiring and
motivating. I invite you to take advantage of this wonderful
opportunity.

***************************************
Civil War Veterans Living in Wisconsin Soldiers’ Homes
by Cynthia Theusch
***************************************
Many genealogists encounter a stumbling block in their research when a
Civil War veteran in the family “goes missing.” While the loss of the
1890 U.S. federal census adds to the challenge faced, the partial
survival of the special schedule of veterans taken that year, as well
as the existence of state censuses, such as those for 1885 and 1895 in
Wisconsin, can help fill the gap.
Family historians struggling with such a search should also consider
the records of soldiers’ homes and broaden their investigation beyond
the range of the missing veteran’s home county. Examining just a few
sources for Wisconsin, available in The Genealogy Center, will
illustrate the possibilities for discovery.

Two brief compilations by Bev Hetzel provide alphabetical lists of
veterans drawn, in part, from the state census reports. “Civil War
Soldiers in Wisconsin Soldier Homes, 1885” (977.5 H478ci) and
“Wisconsin Soldiers Living in Soldier Homes, 1895” (977.5 H478hea)
both identify the unit and state of service. It is interesting to note
that most men in the 1885 list were from outside Wisconsin.

The records of the homes themselves prove the most valuable. The
usefulness of annual reports is aptly demonstrated by Dr. Jeanette L.
Jerger’s compilation of them in “Old Soldiers’ Home: A History and
Necrology of the Northwestern Branch National Home for Disabled
Volunteer Soldiers, Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, 1864-1900.” Information
culled on each deceased soldier includes name, company and regiment,
date of admission, place of birth, age, cause of death or disability,
date of death, and place of death. An even more fertile source is
exemplified by the published “Admission Applications, 1867-1872,
National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers, Northwestern Branch,
Milwaukee, Wisconsin” (973.74 Aa1miLj) compiled by Leslie E. Miljat.
The applications ledger included the veteran’s name, date of
application, rank, military unit, enlistment and discharge dates, type
of disability and where received, as well as, in some cases, the
veteran’s religion, age, place of birth, next of kin and their
residence.

A database at Ancestry.com, titled “U.S. National Homes for Disabled
Volunteer Soldiers, 1866-1938,” contains 391,000 entries from the
records of a dozen soldiers’ homes in as many states. In addition to
the dates of admission, discharge and death, a researcher may find the
veteran’s birth place, last residence, occupation, religion, burial
information, marital status, number of children under 16 years, and
the name, relationship and address of the nearest relative.

Similar published records are available for soldiers’ homes in many
states, North and South, and may help resolve a long standing mystery
in your family history.

***************************************
1900 and 1910 Indian Population Schedules
by Dawne Slater-Putt, CG*
***************************************
The “Indian Population” sheets interspersed with the 1900 and 1910
federal census population schedules are a rich source of information
for those researching Native American ancestry. Enumerators were
instructed to complete the forms for Indians living on reservations
and in family groups outside of reservations. On the National Archives
census microfilms, the Indian schedules follow the general population
sheets for the relevant enumeration district, at least in the case of
Indiana’s Butler Township in Miami County and Waltz Township in Wabash
County. The 1900 and 1910 Indian Population sheets also may be found
online at HeritageQuestOnline.com and at Ancestry.com by browsing to
the end of the appropriate enumeration district or by searching for a
name found on the schedules.

The 1900 and 1910 Indian Population sheets consist of two tiers of
information. The top half of each sheet includes the same information
found on the regular population schedule. The bottom half consists of
“Special Inquiries Relating to Indians.” In 1900, these included any
other name used by the individual – usually an Indian name – the
Indian’s tribe and each parent’s tribe, the percentage of white blood,
whether living in polygamy, if taxed, and whether the family lived in
a “fixed” (permanent) or “movable” (tent or tepee) dwelling. The
“Special Inquiries” in 1910 identified the tribe of the Indian and of
each parent, the percentage of Indian, white and Negro blood, number
of times married, whether living in polygamy and, if so, whether the
wives were sisters, from what educational institution graduated, if
taxed, if received a government allotment and the year, and whether
the family lived in a “civilized or aboriginal dwelling.”

There were no separate Indian Population schedules for the 1850-1880
and 1920-1930 federal censuses. Instead, Indians usually were
identified as “I,” “In,” or “Ind” in the race column of the general
population schedules. In 1850, the standard race choices were white,
black or mulatto, so Indians in some areas may have been designated
mulatto.

Native American research can be challenging, particularly when
individuals had both Indian and European names. By including alternate
names, the 1900 Indian Population schedules are a key cross-reference
between the two. These sheets and their counterparts for 1910 reveal
details about Native Americans of the period found in few other
resources.

[*”CG” & “Certified Genealogist” are service marks of the Board for
Certification of Genealogists, and are used by authorized associates
following periodic, peer-reviewed competency evaluations.]

***************************************
Technology Tip of the Month--The Microsoft Word Ribbon: Insert Tab
by Kay Spears
***************************************
The Insert tab contains a variety of powerful tools that help you
insert and modify items in your Word documents. If you need to search
the help files, Microsoft has called some of these ready-made tools
“Building Blocks.”

Pages: The first Building Block tool is the Cover Page. Not all
documents need a cover page; however, if you want one, Microsoft
offers more than twenty from which to choose. Just click on the drop
down arrow beside the words Cover Page and select one. Also in this
group are Blank Page and Page Break. (To insert a blank page using the
keyboard press: Ctrl+Enter.)

Tables: This group provides an interesting feature. Click on the Table
arrow and you’ll see a grid of little squares. If you run the cursor
over these squares, you will see a preview of the resulting table in
your document. Click to insert the table you see. Also available are
the old Insert Table dialog box, Draw Table, insert Excel Spreadsheet
and Quick Tables. The Quick Tables are ready-made templates that you
can edit after inserting.

Illustrations: This is the fun group. Spend some time experimenting
with the available tools: Picture, Clip Art, Shapes, SmartArt, Chart,
and Screenshot. You’ll get some amazing effects. Once you insert
something – for instance, a shape – your ribbon will change and offer
you more tools for adding effects to the inserted illustration. The
only thing you can no longer do is insert an image into “WordArt” text
– unless you change the formatting to 2003, but then you will not be
able to use the 2010 effects on that particular object.

Links: Choices here are Hyperlink, Bookmark and Cross-reference.
Hyperlink inserts web addresses into your document. Click on it and a
dialog box will allow you to choose the address. The Bookmark tool
provides a dialog box for naming any bookmarks you wish to insert and
is probably most valuable if you are working with a lengthy document,
but you could also use the basic Find tool to locate specific text.
Cross-References help point readers to captions, headings, footnotes,
endnotes, statistics, etc., and are automatically updated as you
modify content. They only work within a current document; you cannot
point to an object in another document.

Header & Footer: In this group, clicking on the Header and Footer drop
down arrows will offer several templates from which you can choose.
The Page Number insert also presents numerous options. After you
select one, an editing tool will appear in the ribbon. To get out of
the editing tool, click twice. To get back into the editing tool for
Header, Footer or Page Number, click twice in the header or footer
area. This editing tool can be used to format page numbers.

Text: This group includes Text Box, Quick Parts, WordArt, Drop Cap,
Signature Line, Date & Time, and Object. Quick Parts inserts
objects/things that are used repeatedly, such as the name of a company
or an address, into the document. Drop Cap enlarges the beginning
letter of a paragraph.

Symbols: In this group, Equation inserts mathematical symbols into
your document and adds an editing tool to the ribbon. Symbol will
insert objects like the copyright or trademark symbol into your text.

If you ever need to know what any of these tools does, just hold your
cursor over it and a pop-up box will appear with a definition.

Next: The Microsoft Word Ribbon: Page Layout Tab

***************************************
Quick-Tip of the Month for Preservation--Protecting the Family Silver
by Delia Bourne
***************************************
You’re browsing through belongings of your recently deceased great
aunt or amongst the boxes in Mom's basement and discover some grayish,
metallic object. It may be a solid gray, streaky or pitted. It may be
a small cup, a tray or serving dish, or remnants of a flatware set.
Congratulations! You may have struck silver. Although not as popular
today, silver objects were once common gifts - flatware for brides,
engraved cups for babies, and trays and bowls for anniversaries and
retirements. Without proper care, however, beautiful, shiny silver can
quickly become a tarnished eyesore.

First, you need to know whether what you have is sterling or silver
plate. Silver is too soft for use in pure form, so it is combined with
other metals. Sterling is 92.5% silver combined with 7.5% copper. It's
still very soft and should be treated carefully to avoid damage. Most
flatware is sterling, although modern table knives often have silver
handles with stainless steel blades. Silver plate is used for trays,
bowls and decoration. In the plating process, silver is laid over
another, stronger metal. Both sterling and plate are usually
identified as such somewhere on the object.

Treated cloths and bags can help protect your silver from tarnish
while in storage. Placing the silver and its protective covering into
a ziplock plastic bag provides additional protection in your home.
Silver that is displayed can be vulnerable to damage from many
sources, including the natural gas from stoves and even foods like
eggs, which are loaded with sulfur. Silver should be hand washed
promptly after use to remove food and dirt. Do not wash silver in the
dishwasher, as it can be harmed by the harsh chemicals in the
detergent or by banging against other dishes during the wash cycle.

There are numerous products available online and in hardware stores
for cleaning silver and other metals. Be sure to select one
specifically for silver, as others may contain harsh chemicals or fine
grit that will mar the surface. Pastes and foams are most common. Do
not use paste which has dried out and become gritty. Liquid dips have
the allure of a fast and simple cleaning, but the chemicals are often
much too damaging. Also, be aware that engraved objects often have a
darker fill in the grooves to highlight the pattern. Vigorous cleaning
to remove this fill, which is not tarnish, is not advised, as the look
of the piece will be altered considerably.

Any soft cloth may be used to polish silver. For day to day use and
cleaning, terry cloth tea towels and other kitchen towels should be
clean and very soft. When undertaking a full scale cleaning and
polishing, well-worn but clean cotton tee-shirts and cloth diapers are
an excellent choice. When the cloth is old, the lint has been washed
away and the fibers are soft from use. Cloths designed and sold
specifically for polishing silver are also available. Cotton tipped
swabs are good for cleaning crevices and aid in removing the polishing
paste or foam.

Websites offering information or supplies for preserving silver
include the Bishop Museum's “The Care of Silver”
<http://www.bishopmuseum.org/research/pdfs/cnsv-silver.pdf>,
Preserving My Heritage's “How to Care for Silver”
<http://www.preservation.gc.ca/howto/articles/silver_e.asp> and the
Henry Ford Museum's “Care and Preservation of Historical Silver”
<http://www.thehenryford.org/research/caring/silver.aspx>.

To guard against the oil and dirt on your hands, professional
conservators advise using soft gloves to handle silver, but the
previous generation in my family believed that the way to keep silver
beautiful was to use it on a regular basis, then wash it in gentle
soap and hand dry with a very soft, clean cloth. My aunt would take a
piece of flatware and softly dry and buff the item as she walked to
the dining room to place it in the silver box, then do the same for
the next piece, and the next. In this manner, she kept the silver in
excellent condition and worked off the meal she'd just eaten. Silver
pieces, like other family heirlooms, are passed down with stories and
traditions attached. Learn and preserve the stories behind your
heirlooms to pass both along to future generations.

***************************************
Family History Month 2011
***************************************
The Genealogy Center's annual Family History Month celebration is
here! The month of October is literally packed with educational and
networking opportunities for every genealogist. Programs include
presentations on frontier travel, evaluating published family
histories, census records, immigration documents, personal memories
and memoirs, blogging, and a beginner's workshop. We also still have
appointment times available for 30-minute One-on-One Consultations on
Tuesdays October 11, 18 and 25, and Wednesday October 26 (email
Genealogy [at] ACPL.Info for more information). The highlight of the month
is the National Black Genealogy Summit, an outstanding three-day event
for researchers of African American family history and heritage. See
the calendar at
www.GenealogyCenter.org/Libraries/Brochures/FHM_Calendar.sflb.ashx and
www.BlackGenealogyConference.Info for dates, times and other
information. For more information about any particular event or to
register for most events, call 260-421-1225, or send an email to
Genealogy [at] ACPL.Info.

***************************************
National Black Genealogy Summit
***************************************
The National Black Genealogy Summit, hosted by the Allen County Public
Library and its Foundation, as well as the African American
Genealogical Society of Fort Wayne, will take place in Fort Wayne,
Indiana, October 20-22, 2011, at the Allen County Public Library and
the Grand Wayne Convention Center. Together with our planning
partners--the African/African American Historical Society & Museum of
Fort Wayne; the Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., Fort Wayne Chapter;
the It Is Well With My Soul program initiative; and The Links,
Incorporated, Fort Wayne Chapter--the host organizations have prepared
an excellent program featuring expert speakers and the most relevant
topics for African American family history researchers. An
information-rich website, continually being updated with the very
latest information about the event, can be found at the following
address: www.BlackGenealogyConference.Info.

In the past couple of ezines, we highlighted many of the Summit’s
speakers: Tony Burroughs, Tim Pinnick, Angela Walton-Raji, Damani
Davis, Roberta Estes, Shamele Jordan, and Lisa Lee. To that fine
collection of knowledgeable presenters one can add James Ison, a
perennial favorite, presenting “Using FamilySearch to Solve
African-American Research Problems,” “Four Key Resources for
African-American Research,” and “The Fugitive Slave Act and the
Underground Railroad.” James’ colleague, Sandra Joseph, will be
presenting two sessions--"Beginning African American Research” and
“U.S. Census Techniques & Strategies for Finding Elusive Ancestors.”

In previous ezines, we also highlighted the three special
presentations planned for the Summit: the ProQuest Plenary Session on
Friday morning, October 21st, the Ancestry.com Banquet on Friday
evening, and the Friends of the ACPL Plenary Session on Saturday
morning, October 22nd. A line-up of Carla Peterson, Robin Stone, and
Michele Wood is certainly one you don’t want to miss. Their engaging
presentations will inspire and motivate you to capture your family
stories and heritage in meaningful ways that you can share with the
generations that come after you.

We are extending the early-bird registration deadline for readers of
this ezine. Register between now and October 7, 2001 and you can get
the $115 rate by writing “GG” (for “Genealogy Gems”) next to the
pre-Labor Day registration line. Register today, and bring a friend
with you. The registration form is linked directly at:
www.BlackGenealogyConference.info/sites/default/files/NBGS-registration-booklet0913.pdf

***************************************
Military Seminar: You Say You Want a Revolution
***************************************
We invite you to a day of learning about locating a Revolutionary War
ancestor on Saturday, November 12, 2011. This seminar will be
presented by the Mary Penrose Wayne Chapter of the Daughters of the
American Revolution, the Anthony Halberstadt Chapter National Society
Sons of the American Revolution, and The Genealogy Center staff. This
all-day event features methodology lectures, historical presentations,
opportunities for advice on lineage applications, and a tour of The
Genealogy Center.

In the morning, you will learn about the resources of the National
Society Daughters of the American Revolution including how to use the
DAR's genealogical records collection and the DAR library catalog.
Tutorials on the application process for the DAR and SAR will be
provided, as well as an examination of Revolutionary War pensions. In
the afternoon, choose between attending an SAR meeting, featuring a
program by William Sharp on "The Siege at Bryan's Station," or
attending a DAR meeting, featuring a presentation by Bob Jones who is
a Revolutionary Soldier Re-Enactor. Tours of The Genealogy Center will
also take place in the afternoon. You can even schedule a 30 minute
consultation with a DAR or SAR member to discuss your specific
application to the organization. (Note: You must bring your lineage
paperwork to the appointment. Due to limited availability, send an
email to Genealogy [at] ACPL.Info to schedule your consultation time.) For
more information, see the flyer at
<www.genealogycenter.org/Events.aspx> Registration is required for
this free seminar. Please call 260-421-1225 or email
Genealogy [at] ACPL.Info to register.

***************************************
WinterTech is Coming!
***************************************
Cooler breezes usher WinterTech back to The Genealogy Center. Held in
the afternoons of the second Wednesdays, November through February, to
coincide with the Allen County Genealogical Society of Indiana's
monthly evening meetings, WinterTech gives you meaningful indoor
educational opportunities. Keep warm by the glow of your computer
monitor as you expand your research skills. Sessions this year include
an overview of the WeRelate.org website, information on locating books
online, a virtual tour of the Genealogy Center's Catalog, and a survey
of the Origins.net database for British, Irish, and Scots research.
For more information, see the flyer at
http://www.genealogycenter.org/Libraries/Brochures/WT2011.sflb.ashx.
Please call 260-421-1225 or email Genealogy [at] ACPL.Info to register.

***************************************
Out and About
***************************************
Curt Witcher
October 15, 2011--Mission Viejo, CA--South Orange County (CA)
Genealogical Society Family History Seminar, City Hall, Saddleback
Room, 100 Civic Center Drive. Topics presented will be “Doing the
History Eliminates the Mystery,” “Fingerprinting Our Families--Using
Ancestral Origins as a Research Key,” “An Ancestor’s Death--A Time for
Reaping,” and “The Road Not Taken--Mega Internet Sites Off the Beaten
Path.”

November 5, 2011--Exton, PA--Pennsylvania Family History Day, Wyndham
Garden, 815 N. Pottstown Pike. Topics presented will be “The Changing
Face of Genealogy” and “Mining the Motherlode: Using Periodical
Literature for Genealogical Research.”

November 12, 2011--Phoenix, AZ--Arizona Genealogical Advisory Board
Annual Workshop, Carnegie Center, 1101 W. Washington Street. Topics
presented will be “Roll Call: New Sites and Sources for Military
Records and Research,” “Using Government Documents for Genealogical
Research,” “Pain in the Access: Getting More from the Internet for
Your Genealogy,” and “S.O.S.: Saving Our Societies--Answering Our
Distress Beacons.”

John Beatty
October 7, 2011--Fort Wayne, IN--Quest Club, 5221 Covington Road, 12
noon. John will present "History of Quest Club: A Centennial
Observance."

Melissa Shimkus
November 19, 2011--Indianapolis, IN--Genealogical Society of Marion
County’s 16th Annual Central Indiana Genealogy Conference, Indiana
History Center, 450 West Ohio Street. Topics presented will be “Before
Crossing the Ocean: Records of Our Immigrant Ancestors,” “Visit
American Records of our Immigrant Ancestors,” “Ellis Island, Online
Immigration Records,” and “Naturalization Records.”

Cynthia Theusch
October 29, 2011--Lansing, MI--Michigan Genealogical Council & The
Archives of Michigan 2011 Family History Work, Michigan Historical
Center, 702 W. Kalamazoo Street. Cynthia will present “Civilian
Conservation Corps Records.”

***************************************
Area Calendar of Events
***************************************
Allen County Genealogical Society of Indiana (ACGSI)
October 12, 2011--Allen County Public Library, 900 Library Plaza, Fort
Wayne, Indiana. 6:30 p.m. refreshments and social time, 7 p.m.
program.  Margaret Hobson will present: “Marching to the Drum of the
44th Regiment.”

Allen County-Fort Wayne Historical Society, 302 East Berry, Ft. Wayne, IN
The George R. Mather Sunday Lecture Series, October 2, 2011, 2 p.m.
Carol Faenzi will be speaking on her book, “The Stonecutter’s Aria.”
This historical novel is based on the true stories of Faenzi’s Italian
marble-carving, opera singing ancestors.

***************************************
Driving Directions to the Library
***************************************
Wondering how to get to the library?  Our location is 900 Library
Plaza, Fort Wayne, Indiana, in the block bordered on the south by
Washington Boulevard, the west by Ewing Street, the north by Wayne
Street, and the east by the Library Plaza, formerly Webster Street.
We would enjoy having you visit the Genealogy Center.

To get directions from your exact location to 900 Library Plaza, Fort
Wayne, Indiana, visit this link at MapQuest:
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&addtohistory=&address=900%20Webster%20St&city=Fort%20Wayne&state=IN&zipcode=46802%2d3602&country=US&geodiff=1

>From the South
Exit Interstate 69 at exit 102.  Drive east on Jefferson Boulevard
into downtown. Turn left on Ewing Street. The Library is one block
north, at Ewing Street and Washington Boulevard.

Using US 27:
US 27 turns into Lafayette Street. Drive north into downtown. Turn
left at Washington Boulevard and go five blocks. The Library will be
on the right.

>From the North
Exit Interstate 69 at exit 112.  Drive south on Coldwater Road, which
merges into Clinton Street.  Continue south on Clinton to Washington
Boulevard. Turn right on Washington and go three blocks. The Library
will be on the right.

>From the West
Using US 30:
Drive into town on US 30.  US 30 turns into Goshen Ave. which
dead-ends at West State Blvd.  Make an angled left turn onto West
State Blvd.  Turn right on Wells Street.  Go south on Wells to Wayne
Street.  Turn left on Wayne Street.  The Library will be in the second
block on the right.

Using US 24:
After crossing under Interstate 69, follow the same directions as from
the South.

>From the East
Follow US 30/then 930 into and through New Haven, under an overpass
into downtown Fort Wayne.  You will be on Washington Blvd. when you
get into downtown.  Library Plaza will be on the right.

Public lots are located at the corner of Ewing and Wayne Streets ($1
each for the first two half-hours, $1 per hour after, with a $4 per
day maximum) and the corner of Jefferson Boulevard and Harrison Street
($3 per day).

Street (metered) parking on Ewing and Wayne Streets. On the street you
plug the meters 8am – 5pm, weekdays only.  It is free to park on the
street after 5pm and on the weekends.

Visitor center/Grand Wayne Center garage at Washington and Clinton
Streets. This is the Hilton Hotel parking lot that also serves as a
day parking garage.  For hourly parking, 7am – 11 pm, charges are .50
for the first 45 minutes, then $1.00 per hour.  There is a flat $2.00
fee between 5pm and 11pm.

***************************************
Genealogy Center Queries
***************************************
The Genealogy Center hopes you find this newsletter interesting.
Thank you for subscribing.  We cannot, however, answer personal
research emails written to the e-zine address.  The department houses
a Research Center that makes photocopies and conducts research for a
fee.

If you have a general question about our collection, or are interested
in the Research Center, please telephone the library and speak to a
librarian who will be glad to answer your general questions or send
you a research center form.  Our telephone number is 260-421-1225.  If
you’d like to email a general information question about the
department, please email: Genealogy [at] ACPL.Info.

***************************************
Publishing Note:
***************************************
This electronic newsletter is published by the Allen County Public
Library's Genealogy Center, and is intended to enlighten readers about
genealogical research methods as well as inform them about the vast
resources of the Allen County Public Library.  We welcome the wide
distribution of this newsletter and encourage readers to forward it to
their friends and societies.  All precautions have been made to avoid
errors.  However, the publisher does not assume any liability to any
party for any loss or damage caused by errors or omissions, no matter
the cause.

To subscribe to “Genealogy Gems,” simply use your browser to go to the
website:  www.GenealogyCenter.org. Scroll to the bottom, click on
E-zine, and fill out the form. You will be notified with a
confirmation email.

If you do not want to receive this e-zine, please follow the link at
the very bottom of the issue of Genealogy Gems you just received or
send an email to kspears [at] acpl.lib.in.us with "unsubscribe e-zine" in
the subject line.

Steve Myers & Curt Witcher, co-editors
  • (no other messages in thread)