Genealogy Gems: News from the Fort Wayne Library, No. 98, April 30, 2012
From: Genealogy Gems (genealogygemsgenealogycenter.info)
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 20:19:01 -0700 (PDT)
Genealogy Gems: News from the Fort Wayne Library
No. 98, April 30, 2012

In this issue:
*War of 1812 Records and Info
*Dead Folks Moving! – Relocation of Cemeteries
*Confederate Amnesty Papers
*Technology Tip of the Month--Using the Mask Tool in Adobe Photoshop
*Quick-Tip of the Month for Preservation--Keeping Digital Files Safe
*Tree Talks Highlight Aid to Beginners
*German Genealogy: A Two Day Mini-Course Is Back!
*Controlling Genealogy Clutter Week--July 9 through 14, 2012
*Out and About
*Area Calendar of Events
*Driving Directions to the Library
*Parking at the Library
*Queries for The Genealogy Center

***************************************
War of 1812 Records and Info
by Curt B. Witcher
***************************************
On June 18, 2012, we will commemorate the 200th anniversary of the
official beginning of the hostilities known as the War of 1812. Though
it did not involve great numbers of individuals, nearly one half of
one million individuals were involved in some manner. Further, and
more importantly, this war with England verified our rightful role as
an independent nation, a nation able to defend itself and handle its
affairs with the dispatch and force necessary to protect citizens and
sovereignty.

Many of you are aware of the cooperative project to digitize the War
of 1812 pension records. The Federation of Genealogical Societies is
spear-heading a fundraising effort to raise $3.7M to have those
pension records digitized and available to all, for free, forever. I
encourage everyone, whether you have a War of 1812 ancestor or not, to
get involved in this community-based initiative. Contribute something,
even if just one dollar, between now and the commemoration of the
beginning of the war. Ancestry.com will match every dollar raised with
a dollar of their own. Already nearly 210,000 documents have been
digitized and are available online at
<http://go.fold3.com/1812pensions/>.

Supporting this project will be of significant benefit to libraries
and research centers all over the country that work with genealogists.
These institutions will be able to help their patrons use this value
data set without licensing fees. And researchers also will be able to
access this important historical data without cost. Go to
<www.fgs.org/1812/> to discover how you can contribute.

The Genealogy Center collaborated with the Internet Archive in making
War of 1812 materials freely available to researchers. At
<http://archive.org/details/allen_county> one can click on the “War of
1812 Records” link in the center section to access digitized National
Archives microfilm indices of compiled service records for this war.
In addition, the Center also continues to purchase new materials and
license new data sets relative to this war. One such recent
acquisition is, “The War of 1812: Diplomacy on the High Seas.”

This is an online collection of documents, containing more than five
thousand pages of data about naval and high seas activities during the
War of 1812. This collection will be available for on-site use by the
end of the first week of May 2012. Again, it is a collection that will
need to be used within the facilities of the Allen County Public
Library. Though it takes up a few bytes in this newsletter, I thought
you would find it interesting to see the variety of information found
in these files. Hence, I have copied the introductory description for
the collection below.

LETTERS RECEIVED CONCERNING LETTERS OF MARQUE, 1812-1814
These letters were chiefly from collectors of customs, requesting
blanks for commissions of letter of marque and acknowledging receipt
of the blanks. Enclosed with many of the collectors’ letters are the
applications by privateers for the commissions and abstracts of the
commissions issued. There are also applications for letters of marque
made directly to the Secretary of State and a "strictly confidential"
notice issued by Secretary James Monroe "by command of the President"
establishing signals by which the U.S. privateers might "be able to
know each other."

LETTERS RECEIVED REGARDING ENEMY ALIENS, 1812-1814
These letters were received by the State Department from U.S.
marshals, enemy aliens, and others regarding the status of aliens in
the U.S. and the consideration of their cases by U.S. authorities.
Many of the letters contain evidence, pleas, or recommendations for
the exemption of certain aliens from the regulations applicable to
them.

MARSHALS’ RETURNS OF ENEMY ALIENS AND PRISONERS OF WAR, 1812-1815
These returns were made to the Department by U.S. marshals. The lists
usually show for each alien his name, age, and occupation; the length
and places of his residence in the United States; the names of members
of his family; and the date of his application for naturalization.
Included are some receipts from the British Consul in Boston for
prisoners turned over to him, some lists of prisoners of war delivered
to marshals from U.S. ships, and a printed copy of "The Case of Alien
Enemies, 1813."

REQUESTS FOR PERMISSION TO SAIL FROM THE UNITED STATES, 1812-18l4
These letters request permission for ships to sail from the United
States with cargo and passengers.

PASSENGER LISTS OF VESSELS
The lists are of persons authorized to sail from the U.S. They show
the name and nationality of each person and (in some cases) his
occupation, age, date of arrival in the U.S., complexion, and color of
hair and eyes. Most of the lists are for the port of Philadelphia and
were received from U.S. marshals.

CORRESPONDENCE REGARDING PASSPORTS, 1812-1814
This correspondence concerns the issuance of passports to permit
departure from the U.S.

AGREEMENTS FOR THE EXCHANGE OF PRISONERS OF WAR, 1812-1813
A copy of an agreement made at Halifax, Nova Scotia, November 28,
1812, between Great Britain and the U.S. for the exchange of naval
prisoners; and a copy of the agreement as revised May 12, 1813.

MISCELLANEOUS LETTERS RECEIVED CONCERNING THE RELEASE OF PRISONERS, 1812-1815
These letters were received by the President, the Secretary of State,
and others from several sources--including the British Admiralty,
private citizens, and impressed seamen--concerning the release of the
seamen and the exchange of prisoners of war.

REPORTS OF WILLIAM LAMBERT, SECRET AGENT, 1813
His reports to the Secretary of State concerned movements of the enemy
in Maryland between Chesapeake Bay and the Potomac River.

MISCELLANEOUS INTERCEPTED CORRESPONDENCE, 1789-1814
This correspondence comprises (1) intercepted British military
correspondence, July 16, 1812-September 10, 1813 with a list of
papers; (2) correspondence of British military officers relating
principally to Indian affairs on the U.S.-Canadian frontier, October
1789-October 1807; (3) intercepted correspondence of the British
Foreign Office, July-November 1812; and (4) intercepted private
letters, August 26, 1812-July 20, 1814. Within each of the four
sections the intercepted letters are arranged chronologically.

On your next research visit to The Center, you may want to take a few
moments to review some of these touchstone documents from this “second
American Revolutionary War.”

***************************************
Dead Folks Moving! – Relocation of Cemeteries
by Delia Bourne
***************************************
We like to think that once our ancestors died, they stopped moving
around, but due to a variety of factors, sometimes even the deceased
seem to have wanderlust. Reasons for grave removals vary. For example,
the Point a la Hache Cemetery in Plaquemines Parish, Louisiana, was
moved in 1946 due to Mississippi River shifts. Other cemeteries have
been relocated to make room for civic improvements, as with the
expansion of the Kansas City International Airport in 2006. But most
have been moved when towns and farms were flooded in the creation of
dams and reservoirs for flood control, electrical power and
recreation.

When seeking ancestors’ gravestones, be sure to read local histories
to determine if any cemetery relocation projects have occurred in the
area. The Genealogy Center has various resources for finding
information about relocated cemeteries. Search first in The Genealogy
Center book catalog by the name of the place and the word
“cemeteries.” One example of a useful source is Darlene Sizemore’s
“Cemetery Relocations, 1962 Buckhorn Dam, Kentucky, Perry/Leslie
County” (976.901 L555sia). It includes maps of the disinterment and
reinterment sites with gravestone abstracts, and notes that the
information was taken from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers real
estate maps. Another is “Cemetery Relocations by the U.S. Army Corps
of Engineers in Illinois, Iowa, Missouri, Arkansas” (977 St22c),
published by the St. Louis Genealogical Society. The foreword in this
volume praises the Corps for their efforts to identify those buried in
small burial grounds or in single graves.

Records of many displaced cemeteries have been included in
periodicals, so the “Periodical Source Index” (PERSI) is a valuable
resource for locating those transcriptions. You may search by location
(state and county), adding the keyword “Cemeteries.” Search results
will include title and citation (date, volume and number or issue) for
the periodical in which the information was published. For example,
the Winter 1989 (Volume 10, Number 1) issue of “Hear Ye, Hear Ye,” the
journal of the Rochester (NY) Genealogical Society, included an
article about Monroe County cemeteries that had been destroyed and the
efforts to reconstruct the records of those who had been buried in
them. Many articles detail cemetery relocation due to planned
flooding. One such article lists the graves relocated from several
small cemeteries displaced by the creation of Calaveras Lake in Bexar
County, Texas, and appeared in “Our Heritage,” Volume 47, Numbers 1-2,
Fall 2005.

It is also best to remember that sometimes a gravestone may have been
moved, but the casket and its human contents left behind, long since
having fallen to dust in the original resting place. Nevertheless,
this kind of search can provide a fascinating addition to the life,
and death, stories of our ancestors.

***************************************
Confederate Amnesty Papers
by Melissa Shimkus
***************************************
President Andrew Johnson signed an Amnesty Proclamation 29 May 1865
authorizing pardons to individuals who supported the Confederate
States of America (CSA), but the document exempted fourteen categories
of people who were required to file an official application to the
President to receive amnesty.  The exempted groups included soldiers
who served in Confederate troops, and people who owned property worth
more than $20,000 and had contributed to the CSA, among others. Former
Confederates sought pardons to avoid prosecution and to regain their
civil rights and citizenship.

“The Confederate Amnesty Papers, 1865-1867” include significant
historical and genealogical information during a transitional time in
our country, and are on 73 reels of microfilm at The Genealogy Center
(cabinet 56-B-5). About 14,000 pardon applications are included, with
an index on the first reel of the set. The material is organized by
region (South, North and West, and not designated), then
alphabetically by state or territory of residence, then alphabetically
by surname. The index and images are also available online by
subscription at <www.fold3.com>, which may be accessed onsite in The
Genealogy Center.

Applications for those who served in non-combatant roles provide
information about their specific service to the CSA. For example,
George C. Arrington was granted a pardon 31 August 1865 at the age of
thirty. A merchant and farmer in Greene County, Alabama, Arrington was
appointed Postmaster at Forkland, Greene County, in September 1861,
making him an official of the Confederate government. William Jennings
of Madison County, Kentucky, was pardoned 13 September 1865 for acting
as a surgeon in the Provisional Army of the Confederate States.

Other applications include documents written by individuals arguing
against a pardon. For example, the application of J. S. Haymond of
Fairmont, Marion County, West Virginia, includes protests penned by
Marion County citizens accusing him of “criminal behavior.” Haymond
admitted that he worked in the Virginia State Legislature, but stated
that he did not vote for secession. He maintained that he remained a
member of the legislature, but was not elected or appointed to a
position in the CSA. Therefore, he requested amnesty so he could
return to his hometown of Fairmont, then in the new state of West
Virginia. Haymond was a War of 1812 veteran, but this former service
to the United States did not sway the opinion of the governor of West
Virginia, who reported that his findings were unfavorable toward a
Presidential pardon for J. S. Haymond.

Not only are “The Confederate Amnesty Papers” informative for
genealogical researchers, but they also document a tumultuous time in
our history as former enemies united to become a single nation once
again.

***************************************
Technology Tip of the Month--Using the Mask Tool in Adobe Photoshop
by Kay Spears
***************************************
Have you ever seen old photographs in a montage, or a photograph in
which the person in the image seems to separate from the background,
and wondered how that was done? Have you ever wanted to assemble a
montage of your own family photographs? This article will describe one
way to use the Adobe Photoshop Mask Tool for creating such visual
effects. Adobe Photoshop Elements software older than version 9 does
not have this tool. We will explore masking in older versions next
month.

The Mask tool is one of my favorites in Adobe. I can get a multitude
of amazing effects using it in combination with other tools in the
program. Let’s pretend that I want to use a photograph of my
grandmother in a family history, however, there are three other people
in the picture. I want the focus of the photo to be my grandmother,
so, I’ve decided to colorize her. There are a variety of ways to do
this. I could just “paint” her, but I don’t like painting old
photographs. I could also use my Erase tool, and erase everything
around her. Instead, I am going to use the Mask tool in conjunction
with the Layers tool. First, open up your photograph. Make sure that
you have the Layers palette open. On the Layers palette, change the
image from Background to Layer by right clicking and choosing “Layer
from Background.” You will now see the word Layer on the palette.
Next, right click on that layer and choose “Duplicate Layer.” There
should now be two layers containing the same image. Select the top
layer and colorize it by going to Image>Adjustments>Hue/Saturation and
choosing “Colorize.” By adjusting the slide bars, you can make the top
layer any color. I’m making mine blue. Click OK.

At this point, I have two layers – a blue one and the original
black/white or sepia photograph. We are ready to apply the Mask tool.
Make sure that the blue layer is selected. In the lower left hand
corner on the Layers palette are some small icons. In my version of
Photoshop Elements, the icon I want is third from the left, the “Add
Layer Mask” icon. It looks like a rectangle with a circle in it. If
you hold the cursor over it, a pop-up button appears saying “Add Layer
Mask.” Click on this icon and look at the blue layer. A white box
should be beside the image thumbnail. There are now two things on this
one layer – the mask and the image.

The following step is very important. To make sure that the mask
works, the color palette’s “Foreground Color” must be black. Access
the color palette by clicking on the Tools bar. At the bottom of the
Tools bar are two overlapping squares. To make sure that the top one
is black, click on it. A Color Picker will open. Look at the values
next to the letters R, G, and B. They should all say 0. In Adobe
Photoshop, these three values are always 0 for black, and 250 for
white. So, set all three to zero. Now, select the Brush Tool from the
Tools bar and change its size and opacity settings as desired. Your
cursor will change its shape accordingly. Return to the Layer Palette
and on the top layer, click on the white rectangle associated with the
mask. Now, not only is your cursor a Brush Tool, but your Mask is
active. Go to the photographic image and apply your Brush to the areas
you want to cover up or “mask.” You should start to see the bottom
layer coming through. In my case, I am “masking” everything around my
grandmother. When I’m finished, my grandmother will be the only object
in the photograph that is colorized.

You can create numerous effects with the mask by incorporating
different layers of scenery, people or filter gallery effects. Be
adventurous and experiment with the “masking” tool. Changing the Color
Picker’s R, G, and B values back to white, or 250, and brushing over
the area will return the image to its original state. You can also
delete just the mask by dragging it to the Layers Palette Trash Bin.

Next article: Creating a Mask Using Adobe Photoshop Elements before Version 9.

***************************************
Quick-Tip of the Month for Preservation--Keeping Digital Files Safe
***************************************
There are numerous complex issues related to many preservation
activities, and those complexities may cause us to forget some really
basic, but very important things. One of the most important and basic
of those things is keeping our digital data safe by backing it up.
Many in our field remind us often of the importance of back-ups yet
countless people do not take that advice seriously.

External hard-drives, jump drives, and DVDs are all amazingly
economical to purchase, with those amazingly cheap prices continuing
to plummet. Cloud storage through Dropbox, Mozy, Carbonite, Google
Docs, and others offer reliable remote back-up options. The remote
back-up option is one that more individuals should consider. Too
often, back-ups are kept in the same physical location as the original
copy of the data. Hence, when fires, floods, and other natural
disasters happen, all is lost—originals and back-ups. Remember,
back-ups are for more than hardware failures.

***************************************
Tree Talks Highlight Aid to Beginners
***************************************
This summer’s Genealogy Center's Tree Talks series (May through
August) will feature classes aimed to assist the beginner in family
history. The first class, on Saturday, May 12, 2012, from 10:00 a.m.
to 11:00 a.m. in Meeting Room A, will feature "Getting the Most from a
Book." We know it sounds easy, but not all books are the same.
Differing formats, different types of information, and different
indexing systems can actually make evaluating the information a little
more difficult, especially for beginners. This class will discuss the
basics of using books, and how to retrieve and evaluate all possible
information. Other classes in the series will include "How to Use The
Genealogy Center: Basics" on Saturday, June 23; "Ancestry: The
Beginner's Way to Search" on Saturday, July 28; and "Beginner's Guide
to Vital Records" on Saturday, August 25. All Tree Talks classes are
10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. in Meeting Room A. For more information, see
the brochure at
http://www.genealogycenter.org/Libraries/2012_Brochures/summer.sflb.ashx.
Please register for any or all of these free classes by calling
260-421-1225 or send an email to Genealogy [at] ACPL.Info.

***************************************
German Genealogy: A Two Day Mini-Course Is Back!
***************************************
The Genealogy Center is presenting the very popular two-day
mini-course in German Genealogy on June 7 & 8, 2012, from 9 a.m. to 4
p.m. each day. This workshop is an excellent introduction for
researchers with little or no experience in German records and covers
basic sources and techniques that lead to success. Instructors John
Beatty and Steve Myers will cover the following topics: An
Introduction to German Genealogical Research; Using German Church
Records; Advancing Your Research with the “PERiodical Source Index
(PERSI);” German Maps, Gazetteers & Other Important Printed Sources;
Swiss Genealogical Records; and Palatines Along the Hudson:
Researching 18th Century Settlers on Livingston Manor. There will be a
tour of The Genealogy Center and assisted research time both days.
Space is limited, so register early to avoid disappointment.
Registration is $50 (Please make check payable to: "ACPL Foundation").
Cancellation after May 24, 2012 will incur a $20 administrative fee.
For more information and the registration packet, go to
http://www.genealogycenter.org/Libraries/2012_Brochures/German.sflb.ashx.

***************************************
Controlling Genealogy Clutter Week--July 9 through 14, 2012
***************************************
The search for our family history results in an endless supply of
papers, files, photographs, and memorabilia. How do we organize all
the information and materials we collect? Join The Genealogy Center
for “Controlling Genealogy Clutter Week” and learn numerous ways to
clean up your family history research. Each day features a different
subject.

* Monday, July 9, 2:00 p.m.-3:00 p.m., Meeting Room A:  "Organizing
Your Genealogical Files," presented by Cynthia Theusch.
* Tuesday, July 10, 2:00 p.m.-3:00 p.m., Meeting Room A: "Organization
of Genealogical Materials," presented by Dawne Slater-Putt.
* Wednesday, July 11, 2:00 p.m.-3:00 p.m., Meeting Room A, "Being
Creative With Your Family History," presented by Cynthia Theusch.
* Thursday, July 12, 10:00 a.m.-11:00 a.m., Theater: "Digital
Melissa Shimkus.
* Friday, July 13, 10:00 a.m.-11:00 a.m., Meeting Room A: "How to Look
at Your Photographs, Analyze and Organize," presented by Kay Spears.
* Saturday, July 14, 10:00 a.m.-11:00 a.m., Meeting Room A: "Writing
Your Family History," presented by  Dawne Slater-Putt.

For more information and descriptions on each class, see the brochure
at http://www.genealogycenter.org/Libraries/2012_Brochures/Clutter.sflb.ashx.
To register for any of these free classes, call 260-421-1225, or email
to Genealogy [at] ACPL.Info. Join us and get your clutter under control!

***************************************
Out and About
***************************************
Curt Witcher
May 8, 2012, Cincinnati, OH, Duke Energy Convention Center--National
Genealogical Society Annual Conference, Librarians’ Day, 12 noon: “The
Best of Times--For Genealogists & Their Librarians.”

May 9, 2012, Cincinnati, OH, Duke Energy Convention Center--National
Genealogical Society Annual Conference, Association of Professional
Genealogists Luncheon, 12:15 p.m.: “The Expectations of 21st Century
Genealogists.”

May 19, 2012, Indianapolis, IN, The Woodstock Club (1301 West 38th
Street)--Sons & Daughters of Pilgrims, Society of Colonial Wars, SAR,
and Society of the War of 1812 leaders and members. 12 noon to 2 p.m.:
lunch and “Military Records and Research, Highlighting the Allen
County Public Library’s Genealogy Center.”

***************************************
Area Calendar of Events
***************************************
Allen County Genealogical Society of Indiana (ACGSI)
May 9, 2012--Allen County Public Library, 900 Library Plaza, Fort
Wayne, Indiana. 6:30 p.m. refreshments and social time, 7 p.m.
program.  Ron Tetrick will present: “Researching Quaker Records.”

Allen County-Fort Wayne Historical Society, 302 East Berry, Ft. Wayne, IN
May 6, 2012, 2 p.m. Dana Wichern will be speaking on, “Beyond the
Garden Gate: The Impact of Women on City Beautification.”

***************************************
Driving Directions to the Library
***************************************
Wondering how to get to the library?  Our location is 900 Library
Plaza, Fort Wayne, Indiana, in the block bordered on the south by
Washington Boulevard, the west by Ewing Street, the north by Wayne
Street, and the east by the Library Plaza, formerly Webster Street.
We would enjoy having you visit the Genealogy Center.

To get directions from your exact location to 900 Library Plaza, Fort
Wayne, Indiana, visit this link at MapQuest:
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&addtohistory=&address=900%20Webster%20St&city=Fort%20Wayne&state=IN&zipcode=46802%2d3602&country=US&geodiff=1

>From the South
Exit Interstate 69 at exit 102.  Drive east on Jefferson Boulevard
into downtown. Turn left on Ewing Street. The Library is one block
north, at Ewing Street and Washington Boulevard.

Using US 27:
US 27 turns into Lafayette Street. Drive north into downtown. Turn
left at Washington Boulevard and go five blocks. The Library will be
on the right.

>From the North
Exit Interstate 69 at exit 112.  Drive south on Coldwater Road, which
merges into Clinton Street.  Continue south on Clinton to Washington
Boulevard. Turn right on Washington and go three blocks. The Library
will be on the right.

>From the West
Using US 30:
Drive into town on US 30.  US 30 turns into Goshen Ave. which
dead-ends at West State Blvd.  Make an angled left turn onto West
State Blvd.  Turn right on Wells Street.  Go south on Wells to Wayne
Street.  Turn left on Wayne Street.  The Library will be in the second
block on the right.

Using US 24:
After crossing under Interstate 69, follow the same directions as from
the South.

>From the East
Follow US 30/then 930 into and through New Haven, under an overpass
into downtown Fort Wayne.  You will be on Washington Blvd. when you
get into downtown.  Library Plaza will be on the right.

Public lots are located at the corner of Ewing and Wayne Streets ($1
each for the first two half-hours, $1 per hour after, with a $4 per
day maximum) and the corner of Jefferson Boulevard and Harrison Street
($3 per day).

Street (metered) parking on Ewing and Wayne Streets. On the street you
plug the meters 8am – 5pm, weekdays only.  It is free to park on the
street after 5pm and on the weekends.

Visitor center/Grand Wayne Center garage at Washington and Clinton
Streets. This is the Hilton Hotel parking lot that also serves as a
day parking garage.  For hourly parking, 7am – 11 pm, charges are .50
for the first 45 minutes, then $1.00 per hour.  There is a flat $2.00
fee between 5pm and 11pm.

***************************************
Genealogy Center Queries
***************************************
The Genealogy Center hopes you find this newsletter interesting.
Thank you for subscribing.  We cannot, however, answer personal
research emails written to the e-zine address.  The department houses
a Research Center that makes photocopies and conducts research for a
fee.

If you have a general question about our collection, or are interested
in the Research Center, please telephone the library and speak to a
librarian who will be glad to answer your general questions or send
you a research center form.  Our telephone number is 260-421-1225.  If
you’d like to email a general information question about the
department, please email: Genealogy [at] ACPL.Info.

***************************************
Publishing Note:
***************************************
This electronic newsletter is published by the Allen County Public
Library's Genealogy Center, and is intended to enlighten readers about
genealogical research methods as well as inform them about the vast
resources of the Allen County Public Library.  We welcome the wide
distribution of this newsletter and encourage readers to forward it to
their friends and societies.  All precautions have been made to avoid
errors.  However, the publisher does not assume any liability to any
party for any loss or damage caused by errors or omissions, no matter
the cause.

To subscribe to “Genealogy Gems,” simply use your browser to go to the
website:  www.GenealogyCenter.org. Scroll to the bottom, click on
E-zine, and fill out the form. You will be notified with a
confirmation email.

If you do not want to receive this e-zine, please follow the link at
the very bottom of the issue of Genealogy Gems you just received or
send an email to kspears [at] acpl.lib.in.us with "unsubscribe e-zine" in
the subject line.

Steve Myers & Curt Witcher, co-editors
  • (no other messages in thread)