Genealogy Gems: News from the Fort Wayne Library, No. 100, June 30, 2012
From: Genealogy Gems (genealogygemsgenealogycenter.info)
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 07:43:15 -0700 (PDT)
Genealogy Gems: News from the Fort Wayne Library
No. 100, June 30, 2012

In this issue:
*Celebrations of Summer
*Diaries, Personal Journals and Daybooks
*Beverly Yount Scrapbooks
*Technology Tip of the Month--Exploring Adobe Photoshop and Elements:
The Filter Gallery
*Quick-Tip of the Month for Preservation--Saving Photographs
*Tree Talks: Help for Beginners
*Controlling Genealogy Clutter Week--July 9 through 14, 2012
*Coming in September! Family History: Beyond the Basics, A Two-Day Mini-course!
*October IS Family History Month
*War of 1812 Pension Digitization Project Update
*Out and About
*Area Calendar of Events
*Driving Directions to the Library
*Parking at the Library
*Queries for The Genealogy Center

***************************************
Celebrations of Summer
by Curt B. Witcher
***************************************
A quick celebratory note--this is our 100th issue of “Genealogy Gems!”
We hope you have enjoyed reading these publications; and if you have,
please tell a friend.

While the official start of summer was just a little more than one
week ago, many parts of the country enduring drought and high
temperatures have known for a while that summer is upon us. Though
concerns about natural disasters have consumed time and energy for
many, I hope we all make some time this summer to engage in the
age-old tradition of family gatherings and reunions. Big or small,
well planned or impromptu, family gatherings provide us with rich
opportunities to gather stories, practice old customs, share
photographs and family lore, and learn about family members and shared
ancestors in new and exciting ways. With digital recorders and digital
photography, the opportunities to capture living memory, as well as
save and share, are nearly endless. Take advantage of those
opportunities, and further, let those gatherings breathe new life and
enthusiasm into the work of actually compiling your family history.
Many gather the “stuff,” few write the history.

With nearly every advent of summer months, the Neil Diamond concert
soundtrack, “Hot August Night” comes to mind. Assuredly it’s a sign of
my advancing years! And while we definitely will have some hot August
nights temperature-wise, we will also have some “hot August days” of
genealogical offerings here at the Allen County Public Library. That
is certainly a “summer celebration!” There is so much going on this
August that I wanted to give you a heads-up in case you can flex your
end-of-summer schedules to attend these events.

Saturday, August 4th, Roberta Estes is returning to the Allen County
Public Library with a number of her colleagues for a day-long seminar
on DNA and Melungeons. The DNA work that has been done with Melungeon
populations is truly remarkable, and answers age-old questions about
their origins. Now, before you say that you don’t have any Melungeon
ancestors, let me hasten to tell you a bit more about the day. The
seminar will begin with a general introduction to DNA and genealogy.
Ms. Estes does an excellent job with this presentation. So, if you
have been wondering about how DNA findings work with genealogical
research, this is a must-attend session, Melungeon or not. In
addition, the question and answer period at the end of the day will
likely cover DNA findings as they relate to African Americans and
Native Americans. Even more good news is that the seminar is free.
Attend the whole day or just sessions of particular interest--it's
totally up to you.

The following Saturday, August 11th, expert genealogist, author,
lecturer, archivist, and research consultant, Frazine Taylor, will be
the featured presenter at a workshop entitled, “Researching African
American Family History in Alabama: Et Cetera.” This program is being
sponsored by the African American Genealogical Society of Fort Wayne,
and will cover topics such as school and church records, as well as
prison and court records. These presentations are geared to assist one
in discovering African American ancestors in the Black Belt states,
with an emphasis on Alabama. Many who do African American research are
aware of the migration trail from Alabama to Fort Wayne. Come explore
this trail with an expert, Ms. Taylor, and learn not only about the
migration but also about key records to use in documenting one’s
African American ancestry. The program is from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.,
with a reception the Friday evening beforehand at the LaSalle Bed &
Breakfast, just one block west of the library. For tickets and
information, please contact the African American Genealogical Society
Fort Wayne at 260-247-0789 or email the society at AAGSFW [at] gmail.com.

The last Saturday of the month, August 25th at 10 a.m., The Genealogy
Center will be offering the fourth program in our 2012 “Tree Talks for
Beginners” entitled “Beginner’s Guide to Vital Records.” Vital records
are among the most highly prized of historical records. Do you know
the best strategies for finding vital records and for getting the most
out of the data they offer? Attending this program may just be a way
to sharpen your research skills.

I hope you partake in the many celebrations of summer.

***************************************
Diaries, Personal Journals and Daybooks
by Dawne Slater-Putt, CG(sm)*
***************************************
Few resources provide detailed day-to-day information about the lives
of our ancestors as do a diary, personal journal or daybook.
Unfortunately, few of us have ancestors who kept this kind of record,
and even fewer know where such a volume is today if it was kept.
However, the good news is that a diary doesn’t have to have been
written personally by one of our ancestors to be useful to us. People
who lived in the same place as our ancestors, were engaged in similar
occupations, attended the same denomination of church during the same
period, or were of a similar economic and social status may have left
behind a diary that can give us rich background information for
understanding what our ancestors’ lives were like. Other diarists may
have emigrated from the same country as our ancestors, or served in
the same military unit during the Civil War or another conflict.

To find diaries and personal journals in The Genealogy Center catalog,
try the search terms “American diaries” or “personal narratives” or
simply “diaries” with the state, or county and state, of interest. If
the military unit is known, it can be used as part of the search.

A sample search of The Genealogy Center’s catalog using the terms
“diaries Franklin County Indiana” results in five “hits,” one of which
is “Jerome Wiley’s Journal, Franklin Co., Ind., 1841-1891” (977.201
F85wj). In it, Wiley noted births, marriages and deaths in Franklin
County during a period beginning long before births and deaths were
recorded by the state’s governmental authorities. Many entries include
cause of death, and some have editorial comments, such as “John
Vannatty died this evening with drunken consumption. He was a
worthless dog.”

Other entries commented on the weather: “It snowed last night and is
very cold this morning;” business: “Salt creek washed my sawmill away
Broke it all to pieces;” and other events affecting the neighborhood:
“Marion Mole and his family started to move to Decatur Alabama. His
father and mother went with him.”

Diaries, while a relatively rare source, can provide information found
in no other record and may be a rich trove of details about what daily
life was like for our ancestors.

*“CG” & “Certified Genealogist” are service marks of the Board for
Certification of Genealogists, and are used by authorized associates
following periodic, peer-reviewed competency evaluations.

***************************************
Beverly Yount Scrapbooks
by Cynthia Theusch
***************************************
Beverly Yount (1921-1977) was a noted genealogist of families in
Richmond, Wayne County, Indiana and surrounding counties. Among her
legacies is a large collection of newspaper clippings pasted onto
10,276 consecutively numbered pages and bound into 41 scrapbooks. This
entire collection, as well as a typed card index, is available in The
Genealogy Center on five reels of microfilm (reels 31-35, cabinet
70-O-3).

The collection prominently features items highlighting biographical
events such as births, marriages, anniversaries, retirements, and
deaths. Other newspaper clippings include information on historical
and social events, local societies, weather conditions, and the
history of businesses, homes and buildings. Access is aided by an A-Z
index that includes the names of people, businesses and organizations,
and supplies the page number of the referenced article. The concluding
section of the index focuses on an April, 1968 explosion in Richmond
and references victims, witnesses and volunteers. The result is a
wonderful resource for those studying family and local history in
Wayne and surrounding counties.

An article dated September 10, 1963, for example, features Rose
Deiser, one of the first candy stripers at Reid Hospital, who is
beginning her nursing career there. It names her parents and the
schools she attended. It also mentions when the candy stripers were
organized, describes their uniforms and activities, and names other
girls recognized for their service as candy stripers.

A clipping of December 15, 1963, reprints an original letter dated
October 9, 1845. Written by Mrs. Elizabeth Leland and her son of
Huntsburg, Ohio, and addressed to Jerman Warren of Noble County,
Indiana, the letter discusses a long drought that lasted from March to
September, 1845. It also passes on news of other named family and
friends. In addition, the article identifies the family relationships
between several of the individuals mentioned.

An August, 1963 article announced “Local Man Starts On Second 50 Years
In Ice Business In City” and features Jim Ladd, president of Anderson
Ice and Coal Company in Richmond. The article highlights interesting
historical details about his experiences in the ice business.

Another clipping shows a photo of the Kramer home being razed to make
room for the expansion of an auto dealership. The accompanying article
describes the history of the house and provides biographical
information about its owners, Horace Kramer and Daniel K. Zeller.

This is just a sample of how these scrapbooks can be a wonderful
resource for adding both genealogical and historical details to your
family history.

***************************************
Technology Tip of the Month--Exploring Adobe Photoshop and Elements:
The Filter Gallery
by Kay Spears
***************************************
I want to begin exploring some other fun, photographic restoration
tools in Adobe Photoshop and Elements by talking about the Filter
Gallery. This is also a great tool for adding some flourishes to
brochures, websites, flyers and posters.

A few words of advice -- before you begin a project involving any
Photoshop program, make sure you know what you want to accomplish. The
end result desired will affect your choices. For instance, when I
create something I know will be printed, I use higher resolution
images. If what I'm working on involves text, I probably will use
Adobe Illustrator because the print quality of vector text is better
than that of raster text. If I am using a professional printer, I
always contact them to get detailed information about their services.
Some important questions include: In what format do they want the
finished project? Do they want color separations? Any packet sent to a
printer should include the images used in the finished product. Always
make sure you and the printer understand each other. You really don't
want any surprises after the job is done.

Another tip -- if I am concerned that an image might have a pixelated,
fuzzy quality when printed, I always zoom in to 300% while working on
it. If I can see pixilation on the screen, chances are I will have an
image that is fuzzy when printed. I then look for ways to correct the
problem. If I am working on a project that will be posted online, I
can relax a little and not use the high resolution images I use for
print. I can even use the raster text in the Photoshop software. What
if the project is for both print and Web? This is my suggestion:
Always design the higher quality product first, save it, and then
reduce it down to a JPEG or GIF for Web use.

Let's look at the Filter Gallery. This is a collection of tools that
will add pizzazz to any project. It might even spice up an old
photograph. Have you ever had a copy of an old family photograph that
appears to be pixelated? If so, it's probably one that is or was a
JPEG image. There are several tools in the Filter Gallery that may
disguise some of the problems with this kind of image, but they won't
work in every case. Open an image. Go to Filter>Filter Gallery. A
large dialogue box opens, with the image displayed. On the right are
numerous choices. Those I have found useful in disguising JPEG
artifacts are Cut Out, Film Grain and Watercolor (under Artistic); Ink
Outline (under Brush Strokes); and Diffuse Glow (under Distort). When
you click on each tool, you will be able to adjust the settings. Just
remember, a damaged photograph with JPEG artifacts cannot be restored
to its original pristine condition; however, the above tools may help
to disguise the problem.

Next: More About the Amazing Filter Gallery

***************************************
Quick-Tip of the Month for Preservation--Saving Photographs
***************************************
The terrible wild-fires in the west and the horrible flooding in the
southeast are sober reminders of the importance of preservation,
particularly of important family heirloom and photographs. A few
miracles have been reported in the last days of June that detail
photographs in fire-proof cases and slides in similar containers have
miraculously survived the ravages of fire or have been found washed-up
along a riverbank. Overall, though, many have lost generations of
photographs and, sadly, sometimes many of the memories that go with
them. The lesson for everyone is that every day is a good day to take
steps to preserve and share our photographs.

We have visited the topic of saving and preserving photographs a
number of times in this ezine. Hence, this may be a review for many.
**The American Museum of Photography’s “Preserving & Protecting
Photographs” page provides some good practice advice.
<www.photographymuseum.com/archival.html>
**The Library of Congress’ “Caring for Your Photographic Collections”
site offers sound advice for every-day applications.
<www.loc.gov/preservation/care/photo.html>
**The Northeast Document Conservation Center publishes an online
bibliography on the “Preservation of Photographs.”
<www.nedcc.org/resources/leaflets/5Photographs/05Bibliography.php>
**FEMA has a quick-read website with tips for drying photographs.
<www.fema.gov/news/newsrelease.fema?id=607>
**WikiHow provides a five-step process for saving a wet photograph
album. <www.wikihow.com/Save-a-Wet-Photo-Album>

***************************************
Tree Talks: Help for Beginners
***************************************
The Genealogy Center's summer series, Tree Talks, continues on
Saturday, July 28, 2012 with "Ancestry: The Beginner's Way to Search."
Are you new to genealogy? Have you tried Ancestry.com and felt
confused? If so, attend this session and Melissa Shimkus will teach
basic steps that help you begin your genealogy search and navigate
this site successfully. The last lecture of this series, "Beginner's
Guide to Vital Records," will be offered on Saturday, August 25. All
Tree Talks classes are 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. in Meeting Room A. For
more information, see the brochure at
http://www.genealogycenter.org/Libraries/2012_Brochures/summer.sflb.ashx.
Please register for any or all of these free classes by calling
260-421-1225 or send an email to Genealogy [at] ACPL.Info.

***************************************
Controlling Genealogy Clutter Week--July 9 through 14, 2012
***************************************
Is your genealogical material in file boxes? Are there stacks of
papers, three-ring binders, and scrapbooks populating your home? How
do other researchers organize all the information and materials they
collect? Join The Genealogy Center for "Controlling Genealogy Clutter
Week" and learn numerous strategies for cleaning up your family
history research. Each day features a different topic.

* Monday, July 9, 2:00 p.m.-3:00 p.m., Meeting Room A:  "Organizing
Your Genealogical Files," presented by Cynthia Theusch.
* Tuesday, July 10, 2:00 p.m.-3:00 p.m., Meeting Room A: "Organization
of Genealogical Materials," presented by Dawne Slater-Putt.
* Wednesday, July 11, 2:00 p.m.-3:00 p.m., Meeting Room A, "Being
Creative With Your Family History," presented by Cynthia Theusch.
* Thursday, July 12, 10:00 a.m.-11:00 a.m., Theater: "Digital
Melissa Shimkus.
* Friday, July 13, 10:00 a.m.-11:00 a.m., Meeting Room A: "How to Look
at Your Photographs, Analyze and Organize," presented by Kay Spears.
* Saturday, July 14, 10:00 a.m.-11:00 a.m., Meeting Room A: "Writing
Your Family History," presented by  Dawne Slater-Putt.

For more information and descriptions of each class, see the brochure
at http://www.genealogycenter.org/Libraries/2012_Brochures/Clutter.sflb.ashx.
To register for any of these free classes, call 260-421-1225, or email
to Genealogy [at] ACPL.Info. Join us and get your clutter under control!

***************************************
Coming in September! Family History: Beyond the Basics, A Two-Day Mini-course!
***************************************
Margery Graham and Steve Myers are presenting a “Family History:
Beyond the Basics” mini-course on Friday and Saturday, September 7 &
8, 2012. This workshop is an excellent way for beginners and
intermediate researchers to build on what they know or to review
important concepts and sources. Of course, attendees are free to
bypass any individual session to take advantage of additional research
and consultation time. Marge and Steve say you'll learn lots and have
fun, too! Classes include Problem Solving: Breaking through Brick
Walls in Your Research; Probate Records; Land Records and Tax Lists;
Military Records; Church Records; Tracing Your Ancestors Across the
Atlantic; and a tour of The Genealogy Center. Program and registration
details are included in the brochure at
http://www.genealogycenter.org. Attendance is limited, so please
register early to avoid disappointment.

***************************************
October IS Family History Month
***************************************
We are planning another great Family History Month for 2012 with
something every day to satisfy your genealogical cravings. The themed
events will include Genealogy Potpourri, culminating with an Allen
County Genealogical Society “Beginning Genealogy Workshop” on
Saturday, October 6; state/regional research, highlighting Indiana and
surrounding states, as well as Virginia and New England; technology,
highlighting the Origins Network, Ancestry and our very own PERSI;
census lectures; Adobe Elements and other classes; and brick-wall
solutions, to provide ideas for surmounting those pesky barriers to
continued research. Keep an eye on our Events pages,
<www.genealogycenter.org/Events.aspx>, for announcements and
brochures!

***************************************
War of 1812 Pension Digitization Project Update
***************************************
This past month saw a couple of very exciting developments in the
Federation of Genealogical Societies’ national project to digitize and
make available for free access the War of 1812 pension records.

On Monday, June 18th (the 200th anniversary of the start of the War of
1812), the Illinois Genealogical Society issued the ISGS $10,000 War
of 1812 Pension Match Challenge. ISGS will MATCH any donation up to
the first $10,000 that is made before December 31, 2012. This means
that if you donate $10, ISGS will match your donation with another
$10; if you give $100, ISGS will give $100. In addition, Ancestry.com
will also match the overall amount donated by ISGS, which means that
the $10,000 raised plus the $10,000 in matching donations will become
$40,000! Your $10 donation to help digitize these files actually
becomes $40! Find out all the details at the Illinois State
Genealogical Society’s webpage. <www.ilgensoc.org/cpage.php?pt=268> If
you’re interested in donating to the project, giving through the
Illinois State Genealogical Society will ensure that your gift is
quadrupled in value! One certainly cannot beat that kind of an
investment.

One week later, on June 25th, the Federation of Genealogical Societies
announced its first lead gift for the project. The following is taken
from the FGS press release of that date.

“The Federation of Genealogical Societies (FGS) announces the donation
of a generous gift in the amount of $135,000 from the estate of the
late Jon Stedman in memory of his mother, Ardath Stedman. The donation
to the Preserve the Pensions – War of 1812 Pension Digitization Fund
will be used to help preserve and digitize War of 1812 Pension
records.

Hollace Hervey, executrix of the estate, indicated that Jon Stedman
was "always interested in preservation and bringing information to the
front" so genealogists could more easily use it. Besides caring
passionately for facilitating genealogists doing good research,
Stedman had a deep love and affection for his mother who was a
genealogist in her own right. The Preserve the Pensions project is
just such a preservation and access endeavor, and FGS is honored in
receiving this generous donation.

The $135,000 donation is a significant lead gift to the Preserve the
Pensions project as FGS ramps up its fundraising efforts (to raise
$3.7M) during the bicentennial of the War of 1812 which started on
June 18, 2012. Members of the genealogy and family history communities
as well as the general public are invited to learn more about this
important record preservation project by visiting the Preserve the
Pensions website at www.fgs.org/1812 and assist with honoring our
nation’s heritage by preserving the records of our past.”

***************************************
Out and About
***************************************
Curt Witcher
July 20, 2012, Indianapolis, IN, Indianapolis Marriott East, 7202 E.
21st St.--Indiana Historical Society Midwestern Roots, 4 p.m.: “’And
the Rockets’ Red Glare’: Online Resources for War of 1812 Research.”

July 21, 2012, Indianapolis, IN, Indianapolis Marriott East, 7202 E.
21st St.--Indiana Historical Society Midwestern Roots, 2:30 p.m.:
“Digital Indiana: Online Treasures for Those Searching In and About
Indiana.”

Melissa Shimkus
July 10, 2012, Fort Wayne, IN, Allen County Public Library, Meeting
Room A, African American Genealogical Society of Fort Wayne monthly
program, 7:00 pm: "Becoming Expert at Using Ancestry."

Cynthia Theusch
July 14, 2012, Lansing, MI, 2012 Abrams Genealogy Seminar, Michigan
Historical Center, 702 W. Kalamazoo Street, Lansing, Michigan, 1 p.m.:
“French Canadian Research.”

***************************************
Area Calendar of Events
***************************************
Allen County Genealogical Society of Indiana (ACGSI)
No meeting until September 2012.
September 12, 2012--Allen County Public Library, 900 Library Plaza,
Fort Wayne, Indiana. 6:30 p.m. refreshments followed at 7 p.m. by Curt
Witcher’s presentation: “All that Other Stuff: Other Census Records
Beyond the Population Schedules the Population Schedules.”

Allen County-Fort Wayne Historical Society, 302 East Berry, Ft. Wayne, IN
George R. Mather Sunday Lecture Series resumes in October.

***************************************
Driving Directions to the Library
***************************************
Wondering how to get to the library?  Our location is 900 Library
Plaza, Fort Wayne, Indiana, in the block bordered on the south by
Washington Boulevard, the west by Ewing Street, the north by Wayne
Street, and the east by the Library Plaza, formerly Webster Street.
We would enjoy having you visit the Genealogy Center.

To get directions from your exact location to 900 Library Plaza, Fort
Wayne, Indiana, visit this link at MapQuest:
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&addtohistory=&address=900%20Webster%20St&city=Fort%20Wayne&state=IN&zipcode=46802%2d3602&country=US&geodiff=1

>From the South
Exit Interstate 69 at exit 102.  Drive east on Jefferson Boulevard
into downtown. Turn left on Ewing Street. The Library is one block
north, at Ewing Street and Washington Boulevard.

Using US 27:
US 27 turns into Lafayette Street. Drive north into downtown. Turn
left at Washington Boulevard and go five blocks. The Library will be
on the right.

>From the North
Exit Interstate 69 at exit 112.  Drive south on Coldwater Road, which
merges into Clinton Street.  Continue south on Clinton to Washington
Boulevard. Turn right on Washington and go three blocks. The Library
will be on the right.

>From the West
Using US 30:
Drive into town on US 30.  US 30 turns into Goshen Ave. which
dead-ends at West State Blvd.  Make an angled left turn onto West
State Blvd.  Turn right on Wells Street.  Go south on Wells to Wayne
Street.  Turn left on Wayne Street.  The Library will be in the second
block on the right.

Using US 24:
After crossing under Interstate 69, follow the same directions as from
the South.

>From the East
Follow US 30/then 930 into and through New Haven, under an overpass
into downtown Fort Wayne.  You will be on Washington Blvd. when you
get into downtown.  Library Plaza will be on the right.

Public lots are located at the corner of Ewing and Wayne Streets ($1
each for the first two half-hours, $1 per hour after, with a $4 per
day maximum) and the corner of Jefferson Boulevard and Harrison Street
($3 per day).

Street (metered) parking on Ewing and Wayne Streets. On the street you
plug the meters 8am – 5pm, weekdays only.  It is free to park on the
street after 5pm and on the weekends.

Visitor center/Grand Wayne Center garage at Washington and Clinton
Streets. This is the Hilton Hotel parking lot that also serves as a
day parking garage.  For hourly parking, 7am – 11 pm, charges are .50
for the first 45 minutes, then $1.00 per hour.  There is a flat $2.00
fee between 5pm and 11pm.

***************************************
Genealogy Center Queries
***************************************
The Genealogy Center hopes you find this newsletter interesting.
Thank you for subscribing.  We cannot, however, answer personal
research emails written to the e-zine address.  The department houses
a Research Center that makes photocopies and conducts research for a
fee.

If you have a general question about our collection, or are interested
in the Research Center, please telephone the library and speak to a
librarian who will be glad to answer your general questions or send
you a research center form.  Our telephone number is 260-421-1225.  If
you’d like to email a general information question about the
department, please email: Genealogy [at] ACPL.Info.

***************************************
Publishing Note:
***************************************
This electronic newsletter is published by the Allen County Public
Library's Genealogy Center, and is intended to enlighten readers about
genealogical research methods as well as inform them about the vast
resources of the Allen County Public Library.  We welcome the wide
distribution of this newsletter and encourage readers to forward it to
their friends and societies.  All precautions have been made to avoid
errors.  However, the publisher does not assume any liability to any
party for any loss or damage caused by errors or omissions, no matter
the cause.

To subscribe to “Genealogy Gems,” simply use your browser to go to the
website:  www.GenealogyCenter.org. Scroll to the bottom, click on
E-zine, and fill out the form. You will be notified with a
confirmation email.

If you do not want to receive this e-zine, please follow the link at
the very bottom of the issue of Genealogy Gems you just received or
send an email to kspears [at] acpl.lib.in.us with "unsubscribe e-zine" in
the subject line.

Steve Myers & Curt Witcher, co-editors
  • (no other messages in thread)