Genealogy Gems: News from the Fort Wayne Library, No. 152, October 31, 2016
From: Genealogy Gems (genealogygemsgenealogycenter.info)
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2016 21:59:36 -0400
Genealogy Gems: News from the Fort Wayne Library
No. 152, October 31, 2016

In this issue:
*Thanksgiving & Thanks-living
*White Baptisms in East Florida, 1784-1799
*Some Free Websites for Searching Revolutionary War Ancestors
*Technology Tip of the Month--Microsoft Access Relationships and Sub-reports, Part I
*Quick-Tip of the Month for Preservation--Preserving CDs and DVDs
*PERSI Gems
*History Tidbits: Thanksgiving
*Share Your Cubs Memories!
*WinterTech Begins
*Staying Informed about Genealogy Center Programming
*Out and About
*Area Calendar of Events
*Driving Directions to the Library
*Parking at the Library
*Queries for The Genealogy Center

***************************************
Thanksgiving & Thanks-living
by Curt B. Witcher
***************************************
In just a few weeks, which will pass faster than we imagine or want, Thanksgiving will be upon us. In the days before Thanksgiving actually arrives, we again will be assailed with all the things those outside our families, and on the fringes of our lives, tell us we must do and must have. Instead of all the typical and usual end-of-the-year holiday activities, let’s challenge ourselves to put a family history focus on Thanksgiving--what we might call Thanks-living! Let’s enjoy and revive the memories of Thanksgivings lived in the past. Let’s springboard off Thanksgiving traditions to engage in listening and sharing activities that will help in pursuing, preserving and presenting our families’ histories.

Who cares what stores will be open and when on Thanksgiving Day or Black Friday? We can focus on more important, lasting things that we can control. We can take the personal and family experiences and memories that surround Thanksgiving Day and use them to start conversations and recall memories. Taking just a moment to contemplate your family traditions will likely fill your mind with all kinds of recollections.

For some families, watching the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade occupies an important part of Thanksgiving morning. What is your earliest memory of watching the parade? Did your family watch all or most of it together, or was it on in the living room or den, and family members just dropped by for a few minutes at a time? What was your favorite float? Are there similar ones today? Did you or any of your family ever see the parade in person? If you share these questions with family and friends on Thanksgiving Day, I bet more than a few statements will begin with some form of “Oh! Remember when . . . ?” or “Wasn’t that the neatest thing when . . . ?”

As the Thanksgiving meal is being prepared, look at how many legacy recipes are being used--those recipes that have been passed along through several generations. It has always been special for me to see the worn-corner recipes as well as those recipes that carry with them the stains and spills of numerous yesteryears. One can almost feel an ancestors’ presence when dishes come out of the oven, and in a real way we sustain ourselves and enjoy wonderful tastes at their hands. I bet many of you have recipes that are endearingly called something akin to “Grandma’s marvelous mashed potatoes” and “Mama Frone’s pudding pie.”

Engage your family and friends about these recipes. Ask them which ones are their favorites. Inquire as to the earliest age at which they actually helped with the meal by assisting with a dish, and then ask what dish it was. Follow-up by questioning who got to help Mom or Dad actually dress the turkey. At your house, maybe turkey was complemented or replaced by venison, squirrel, ham, or duck. What stories detail the preparation of those items? Were there people who didn’t particularly like the non-traditional dishes?

Scientists tell us that our sense of smell (the work of our olfactory receptors) is our strongest memory trigger. Make sure then that you have conversations about Thanksgiving Day cooking memories and recipes in the warm, comfortable kitchen where turkey, dressing, cranberry sauce, and pumpkin pies are among the aromas that can all work their magic with our memories. Record those conversations. They are as much your family’s history as the vital records and census documents you collect.

For some families, Thanksgiving Day brings a bit of football--either watching the televised games or playing a pick-up game, or both.  That was the case with both my families--my growing-up family as well as my adult family. Growing up, my older brother and I played catch on some awfully cold days. I can still hear the wind whistling through my helmet and stinging my ears. (Yes, it was a really cheap helmet! Nothing like what the pros wear.) My four sons and their friends as well as my youngest sister’s family played touch-football for many years after the main meal. Our photo albums are filled with pictures of the games, and our minds with their memories. All of the people of my sons’ generation (and most of the older folks like me, too!) remember those times as if they had a bit of magic to them--the great plays that only get greater with time, and the good-natured chiding about who was cheating or not giving it their all. What were your after meal activities? When did the folks at your home fall asleep for the only obligatory afternoon nap?

Some of our Thanksgiving days have included helping others a little less fortunate than us. Did your family have a tradition of taking food to a particular needy family or of helping a local charity serve Thanksgiving meals? When I was in elementary school, I remember the excitement one year at being chosen to accompany our parish pastor in delivering a ready-to-eat meal to a family struggling to care for a paralyzed child. I still remember being overwhelmed by how little they had, and by the tears-rolling-down-their-cheeks gratitude they expressed.

The stories of our lives are among our most valuable treasures. We should pursue those stories at every opportunity as well as cherish and preserve them by sharing them. Make this Thanksgiving a Thanks-living.

***************************************
White Baptisms in East Florida, 1784-1799
by Melissa C. Tennant
***************************************
The state of Florida has a rich and diverse history dating back to the colonial era. A Spanish colony from 1565, it was traded to Great Britain in 1763 in return for control of Havana, Cuba, after the Seven Years War. Great Britain created the colonies of West Florida and East Florida, using the Apalachicola River as the divider. In 1784, the two colonies were traded back to Spain, and they remained under Spanish control until an 1821 treaty ceded them to the United States. Their new owner united them into the Florida Territory in 1822.

At the time of the second Spanish colonization, Florida’s population comprised a mixture of Catholics and Protestants. This fact did not prevent Catholic priests in East Florida from performing baptisms for both Catholic and non-Catholic individuals. The book “White Baptisms in East Florida, 1784-1799” (975.9 EV15WH) by Katherine G. Evans and Nancy K. Evans contains the transcription of an earlier two-volume set, “Roman Catholic Records, St. Augustine Parish, White Baptisms, 1784-1799,” originally published by the Works Progress Administration. These English translations of Latin and Spanish baptismal entries date from 8 October 1784 to 23 December 1799. The publication also includes a history of St. Augustine Parish and its priests, a guide to the entries and place names, maps of the region, and an every-name index of 1,094 baptized individuals and the more than 2,000 family members and sponsors named within these entries.

Generally, the baptismal entries include the individual’s name, birthdate, baptismal date, parent’s full names with the mother’s maiden name, parents’ birthplaces, sponsors’ names and birthplaces, and the priest. These entries might also mention grandparents’ names and birthplaces, witnesses’ names and birthplaces, and whether the baptismal took place in the church. Though most of the children whose names appear in the baptismal entries were born in East Florida, the majority of the adults were immigrants from as many as twenty-eight countries. A table of place names and their modern equivalents helps the researcher decipher the locations cited in the original 18th century entries.

By searching the index, a researcher can discover individuals named in multiple entries. For example, Gerardo Forrester and his wife, Diana Hull, appear in their two daughters’ records. The first entry is for Brigida, born on 15 May 1789 and baptized at home on 24 May because she was dying. The second entry is Brigida Patricial, who was born on 30 January 1791 and baptized on 24 February.

Children born out-of-wedlock are noted with the terms “natural son” or “natural daughter.” In the case of Juan Francisca Hedzorcopoly, one can use the table of place names and interpret the statement that Juan’s father, Domingo Hedzorcopoly, a native of “Braso de Mayna in the Archipielogo,” is from modern-day Greece. Juan’s mother, Juana Hernandez, was a native of Arrabal de San Phelipe, Isla de Menorca, modern-day Menorca in the Balearic Islands, located in the Mediterranean Sea. Other notes such as “baptized under condition” indicate that an individual is non-Catholic. Some entries name the other religion, as in the case of Tomas Christopher’s parents who are listed as Protestants.

For anyone researching ancestors living in the Florida region during the late 18th century, “White Baptisms in East Florida, 1784-1799” is a valuable resource.

***************************************
Some Free Websites for Searching Revolutionary War Ancestors
by Delia Bourne
***************************************
A number of good subscription websites exist for searching Revolutionary War ancestors, but some are also free for anyone to use. One of the best of these is the “Valley Forge Legacy – Muster Roll Project,” http://valleyforgemusterroll.org. This site allows one to perform a truncated search of last names by simply entering at least the first two letters of a surname. The search can be limited by state or regiment. Each entry provides name, rank, state, regiment, company, and ethnicity, if noted, for each soldier. For example, Private Richard Rhodes, an African-American serving with the First Rhode Island, appears on the muster roll for June 1778 as “sick at Englishtown.” More information is provided for Smith Boonefield, 5th troop, 2nd Dragoons, New Jersey Cavalry, who was a farmer from Woodbridge, stood 5”10” tall, and had a dark complexion with dark hair and eyes. George Gray, Troop Commander of the 4th Virginia Dragoons, was born on May 13, 1745, in Virginia and was 32 years old when he led his troop into Valley Forge. He married Mildred Thompson and died on December 2, 1823, in Kentucky. One can also search by division, brigade or regiment. For each, a brief history is provided with notes as to when the unit entered and left Valley Forge. The site also includes a history of the encampment, images, and other information.

Another website is the “Kentucky Revolutionary War Warrants Database,” online at  http://apps.sos.ky.gov/land/military/revwar/ Each entry provides the warrant number, name, rank, regiment, number of years served, date of application, number of acres awarded, and assignee, if any. For example, Samuel Holt, Virginia State Line, received 100 acres in 1789, which he assigned to John Carter. The database also provides an image of the warrant.

The Pennsylvania State Archives hosts, among other resources, the “Revolutionary War Military Abstract Card File and the Militia Officers Index Cards, 1775-1800” at http://www.digitalarchives.state.pa.us. The “Military Abstract Card File” contains transcriptions of data extracted from original records in the custody of the State Archives concerning Revolutionary War service in the Pennsylvania Militia, Pennsylvania Line, and the Navy. Browse alphabetically to find name, rank, county, battalion and source of the information. The file lists records of both active and inactive service. The “Militia Officers Index” lists militia officers who served during the American Revolution as well as in campaigns against Native Americans in northwestern Pennsylvania and during the Whiskey Rebellion. Information provided includes name, county, rank, company or battalion, dates of service, township, and occasionally the district within township. In rare cases, other pertinent information is provided such as place of burial, wounds received, names of children, names of any expeditions or campaigns, name of person whom they succeeded, and date discharged.

The Archives of Maryland offers “Muster Rolls and Other Records of Service of Maryland Troops in the American Revolution” at http://msa.maryland.gov/megafile/msa/speccol/sc2900/sc2908/000001/000018/html/index.html.  Browse page by page, or use the index, which will indicate the specific page number on which a particular soldier is listed. For example, Jeremiah Cyphert, appears on pages 427 and 474.
Although this is not a comprehensive list of Marylanders who served, it is an excellent starting point.

Finally, “American Prisoners of the Revolution: Names of 8000 Men” at http://www.usmm.org/revdead.html provides a name listing only of the men held by the British as naval prisoners on ships at Wallabout Bay, later the site of the Brooklyn Navy Yard. The prisoners included men captured on American privateers, on merchant ships, and on French, Spanish, and Dutch vessels. This list was compiled by the Society of Old Brooklynites in 1888 from papers in the British War Department. No note was made as to the disposition of each prisoner (escaped, exchanged, died), and the transcribers of 1888 were careless of spelling, but it is still a valuable source for anyone searching sailors of the Revolutionary War era. Also included is a list of the prison and hospital ships, how many prisoners could be held on the ship, and the first year of use.

There are other great Revolutionary War sources, so be inspired to seek others.

***************************************
Technology Tip of the Month--Microsoft Access Relationships and Sub-reports, Part I
by Kay Spears
***************************************
This month we are going to move on to something that may be a little bit more complex. We have already created a table and a form for our database. Now it's time to go one step further. Let's pretend that the database was created by someone who is a genealogist. He or she wants to add fields to the database that include family surnames. What do we do? Well, we could add more surname fields to our current table. Here's the deal with genealogists - we all know that there isn't going to be just one surname. How many surnames will there be? We don't know. Adding a surname field for every name in my family would make my current database quite unwieldy. If I knew visual basics or code, I could write something that would take care of this problem. However, I do not know either one. I do know how to make a Sup-report form, which works pretty well when dealing with this particular issue. But before we tackle a Sub-report form, we must create another table in our database. That will be step one. Step two will be joining our old table and our new table with the Relationship option. Then the third step will be making a Sub-report.

Let's begin with step one. First, we need to establish another table. Go to your “Create Tab” on your ribbon. Double click on "Table" in the Tables section of the "Create Tab." When you do this, a table named “Table1” will automatically be created. We want to be in “Design View;” go to Table Tools>Fields>Views>Design View. A "Save As" dialog box will appear, asking for a "Table Name." Give it one. I will call mine Surname List. Click "OK." Now, you should be in "Design View." Before you do anything, look at the options available in the "Design View." There is "Field Name," "Data Type," "Description," and two tab fields at the bottom: "General" and "Lookup." Notice that Access has already inserted the word "ID" in the top field name and made that ID an "Auto Number." It has also assigned the "Primary Key" to the ID. The "Primary Key" is highlighted in yellow and has a tiny key icon (at least on my computer). Remember in our other table we assigned the "Primary Key" to ID; in this table we do not want to do that. Click right on that “Key Icon;” a menu opens. The “Key” in that menu is highlighted. Turn off that highlighting by clicking on the key. If you have done this correctly, when you return to your table, which is still in Design View, the key icon will no longer be there.

We want to leave the name of the first field as "ID," but we do not want the "Data Type" to be an "AutoNumber." Click on the "AutoNumber" field. A drop down box appears; choose "Number." In the bottom left portion of our “Design Table” find the "General Tab." You should see the word "Indexed." Beside "Indexed" is the word "No." Click on "No." Another drop down box appears way over to the right. The choices are: "No," "Yes (Duplicates OK)," "Yes (No Duplicates)." Choose "Yes (Duplicates OK)."

We are now done with the "ID" record. Move to the next “Field Name” row. By default this “Field Name” has been called "Field1." Change that to “Surname.” In the "Data Type," choose "Short Text." Now you should have two fields - one that says "ID" with a "Data Type" of "Number," and the other says "Surname" with a "Data Type" of "Short Text." For this particular table, that is all we need. Save it and close. Now we have two tables. What do we do with these two tables? Well, in order to make a Sub-report form, we need to join these two tables. We will be doing that next month by using the "Relationship" tool.

A warning: Be careful when naming tables, forms, reports, etc. Try not to use the same name. For example do not call your table “Surname” your form “Surname,” and your report “Surname.” Using the same names can cause problems with the database paths. Use a little creative variety.

Next article: Relationships and Sub-reports, Part II

***************************************
Quick-Tip of the Month for Preservation--Preserving CDs and DVDs
***************************************
Our friends from the land down under at the National Archives of Australia have a nice bit of information on preserving the CD and DVD disks so many have. Begin to develop your own strategies for ensuring data on these disks is not lost by reading the page linked below.
http://naa.gov.au/records-management/agency/preserve/physical-preservation/CDs-and-DVDs.aspx

***************************************
PERSI Gems
by Adam Barrone and Michael Hudson
***************************************
As Veterans Day approaches, we are reminded of the importance of our efforts to preserve and disseminate military history and the personal history of our veterans.

The Periodical Source Index (PERSI) documents over 120,000 articles on military topics.  These articles were printed in a wide variety of publications, some of which are devoted to military matters.  These are the military-themed titles with more than 1000 articles cited in PERSI:

American Sprit (Daughters of the American Revolution)
America’s Civil War (Cowles History Group)
Civil War News (Historical Publications, Inc.)
Confederate Veteran (Sons of Confederate Veterans)
Daughters of the American Revolution Magazine
Ex-CBI Roundup (for WWII veterans of the China-Burma India theater)
Fighting 69th Infantry Division Association, Inc., Bulletin
Friends Journal (Air Force Museum Foundation, Inc.)
MHQ: the Quarterly Journal of Military History
Military (MHR Publishing Group)
Military Images (Harry Roach)
North & South (North & South Magazine, Inc., Civil War)
SAR Magazine (Sons of the American Revolution)
Sound-Off (China-Burma-India Veterans Association, WWII)
United States Naval Institute Proceedings
Virginia Cavalcade (Library of Virginia, Civil War)

To search these and other titles in the Periodical Source Index (PERSI), visit:

http://search.findmypast.com/search/periodical-source-index

These are some of the military gems we found:

Chaplain at grave of Lt. James L. Cunningham, 308th Bomb Group cover photo and notes, d. 1944
Ex-CBI Roundup, v.32n.4, Apr. 1977

Cutting off Gen. Wedemeyer's staff car, Donald R. Hall recollections, c. 1944, FL
Sound-off, v.45n.2, Spr. 1999

Henry Thomas Gillentine buried his own amputated leg at Shiloh, walked home, family history, 1860s+
Itawamba Settlers (MS), v.31n.2, Sum. 2011

John Wales January, 14th IL Cav., amputated his own feet at Andersonville, 1847-1906, IL, SD
North Suburban Genealogical Society Newsletter (IL), v.37n.5, Sep. 2011

Medical specimens of three 154th NY Infantry soldiers tell a grim story
Military Images, v.29n.1, Jul. 2007

Rhino snot soil-stabilization agent, military uses note, 2013
American Legion, v.175n.4, Oct. 2013

Spanish-American War soldiers request safety pins, girls keep snatching their buttons, 1898
Anderson County (KS) Historical Society Newsletter, Fal. 2011

***************************************
History Tidbits: Thanksgiving
by Allison DePrey Singleton
***************************************
This month we continue our three-part series on holiday customs. For our second article, we will do a brief examination of the history of Thanksgiving and look at the celebration customs of the holiday in the United States.

Thanksgiving is a family holiday celebrated throughout the United States. For many, the word “thanksgiving” immediately evokes thoughts of a turkey dinner and time spent with family. We all know the story of the first thanksgiving that has been told to us in school. Not taught is the fact that Thanksgiving did not become an annual celebration immediately following 1621. The celebration did not even become a national holiday until 1863. While today we firmly embrace the idea of Thanksgiving being a celebration of the Pilgrims and Indians feasting together, the holiday has a more complex history.

The traditional first Thanksgiving was celebrated in 1621 to rejoice in a great harvest with the help of the Native Americans. What hasn’t been taught in the history books is that the Pilgrims celebrated thanksgivings throughout the year and did not celebrate just one annually. Thanksgivings were for whenever something good happened to the community, whenever people felt the need to praise God for their good fortune. By 1650, there was an annual autumn thanksgiving celebration in Connecticut, which other colonies followed by the end of the century. The dates for these celebrations varied and were held sometime between October and December.

After the founding of the United States, presidents declared official days of thanksgiving prior to the start of the national holiday in 1863. George Washington declared one for November 11, 1789, and another for February 19, 1795. James Madison declared a day of thanksgiving in observance of the end of the War of 1812 on April 13, 1815. After that date, individual states declared their own annual days of thanksgiving between October and December. Until the 1830s, when Christmas began to be celebrated in New England, Thanksgiving was the major holiday ushering in the winter. New England Thanksgiving celebrations usually began with a church service and continued with a large family meal or reunion, and then ended with a party.

Thanksgiving became a national holiday in 1863, when Abraham Lincoln declared the last Thursday in November to be a day of national thanksgiving. Every president after Lincoln continued the tradition. By making the observance annual in November, the holiday became cemented as a harvest celebration. Not until after the Civil War did the evocation of the Pilgrims become associated with the holiday. There were many reasons for this. The first came from a need for a shared memory to unite the country again after a war that had split the country apart. By the late 1800s, fighting with the Native Americans had all but disappeared, which made idea of the Pilgrims and Indians sharing a meal more plausible. A third reason resulted from the influx of immigrants to the country. Many people felt the need for patriotism and go back to the roots of the founders of the country. There was also a push to Americanize the immigrants and to show pride in any family history that could be traced back to an early settler of the country. Still, it was not until 1939 that Franklin D. Roosevelt actually invoked the name of the Pilgrims as the founders of Thanksgiving.

Celebrating Thanksgiving as a secular holiday became more predominant in the late 1800s. Communities began having Thanksgiving Day parades, which rose in popularity in the 1920s.  Sports had always been a part of the Thanksgiving tradition, but the day did not become synonymous with football until the 1900s. Radio and later television broadcasts of the games only proved to make those on Thanksgiving more popular and a part of the holiday tradition.

By the early twentieth century Thanksgiving had also became synonymous with the beginning of the shopping season for Christmas. During the Great Depression, retail stores took a heavy toll from the lack of Christmas sales. In an effort to help, Roosevelt moved the observance of Thanksgiving a week earlier in November. The country was outraged and sales did not improve, so when Congress passed a law in 1941 establishing Thanksgiving on the fourth Thursday of November, Roosevelt signed it into law.

By 1982 Thanksgiving had become the holiday Americans know and love today. 1982 was the year President Ronald Reagan began the tradition of the official turkey pardon. It is said that President Lincoln pardoned a pet turkey of his son’s, but there is not specific proof of this event. Every year since the turkey pardon in 1982, the president has pardoned a turkey to go live in a petting zoo for the rest of its natural days.

The traditional food for Thanksgiving has evolved over time. The Pilgrims in the 1600s had only what they could grow, hunt, and gather. For example, they did not eat the cranberries they gathered since they did not have sugar to sweeten them to taste. The Pilgrims did not have access to wheat, so there were no pie crusts or rolls. Potatoes had not made their way to America either. Therefore, their feasts were different from those of modern days. As the availability of sugar and spices changed American palates, the food changed as well. New England also began having prosperous farms and adding to the types of foods available for a Thanksgiving meal. Generally, the traditional Thanksgiving meal consists of foods found in New England, but other areas of the country have put their own spin on the meal. For example, Washington residents use hazelnuts in their stuffing as opposed to walnuts and chestnuts, since hazelnuts are locally grown.

***************************************
Share Your Cubs Memories!
***************************************
Finally! The Cubs are in the World Series! And we are collecting YOUR tales of excitement, wonder, frustration and victory. Stories could include your first game at Wrigley Field, the time Grandpa caught that foul ball, when you met Ernie Banks, seeing Ron Santo clicking his heels together, listening to Harry Caray’s play-by-play of the game, or the game you attended that was called on account of rain. Your family’s moments and memories, including audio or video memories, are just as special. Please send your stories, photos and scans of souvenirs, and digital audio as well as digital video files to:
Genealogy [at] ACPL.Info
Instagram @GenealogyCenter
www.facebook.com/GenealogyCenter

***************************************
WinterTech Begins
***************************************
Family History Month may be over, but The Genealogy Center has not finished its year of events to entertain and inform you! November begins our WinterTech 2016-2017 series, to teach you about using digital sources. Since we offer WinterTech on Wednesday afternoon at 2:30 p.m., on the same day as the monthly meeting of the Allen County Genealogical Society of Indiana (ACGSI), come to WinterTech, then stay for the ACGSI program at 7 p.m.

First up is “Finding Digital Newspaper Collections,” presented by Delia C. Bourne on Wednesday, November 9, 2016, 2:30 p.m. in the Discovery Center. We all know how valuable newspapers can be in family history research. We’ve become familiar with the major subscription digital databases. But not everything is in these fee-based sources. This presentation will introduce you to some free databases, and show you how to find digital newspaper archives for the area you wish to search!

The series continues with “Finding Maps Online,” presented by Allison DePrey Singleton on Wednesday, December 14, 2016; “Using Third-Party Tools to Analyze Your DNA Results,” presented by Sara Allen on Wednesday, January 11, 2017; and finally Melissa Tennant presents “Where Art Thou, PERSI?” on Wednesday, February 8, 2017. All of these will also be at 2:30 p.m. in the Discovery Center.

For more information, see our brochure at http://genealogycenter.org/docs/wintertech20162017 . To register for any or all of these events, call 260-421-1225 or email Genealogy [at] ACPL.Info.

***************************************
Staying Informed about Genealogy Center Programming
***************************************
Do you want to know what we’ve got planned? Are you interested in one of our events, but forget? We are now offering email updates for The Genealogy Center’s programming schedule.  Don’t miss out!  Sign up at http://goo.gl/forms/THcV0wAabB

***************************************
Out and About
***************************************
Curt Witcher
November 5, 2016
Detroit Society for Genealogical Research & Oakland County Genealogical Society Joint Autumn Meeting, St. Stephen's Episcopal Church, 5500 N. Adams Rd, Troy, Michigan from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Presentation: “Why The Genealogy Center in Fort Wayne; or, What is Unique at the ACPL that I Cannot Find Anywhere Else?”

***************************************
Area Calendar of Events
***************************************
Allen County Genealogical Society of Indiana, Inc. Monthly Program
November 9, 2016 - Allen County Public Library, 900 Library Plaza, Fort Wayne, Indiana, Refreshments at 6:30 p.m., program at 7 p.m. Allison DePrey Singleton will present: “Pin, Post, and Tweet Your Family Tree: Social Media and Genealogy.”

ACGSI Genealogy Technology Group
November 16, 2016 – Allen County Public Library, 900 Library Plaza, Fort Wayne, Indiana, 7 p.m.

The George R. Mather Lecture Series
November 6, 2016, The History Center, 302 East Berry Street, Fort Wayne, Indiana, 2 p.m.
Cindy Thies will present: “Lesser-Known First Ladies - 1825-1853: Concurrent Events on the Frontier in Indiana, Allen County and Fort Wayne.”

Miami Indian Heritage Days,
November 5, 2016, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. & November 6, 2016, 12 noon to 4 p.m., Chief Richardville House, 5705 Bluffton Road, Fort Wayne, Indiana. Traders Days: Traditional Miami and regional tribes’ crafts, goods, and wares for sale, as well as hands-on demonstrations and interactive educational programs.

Mary Penrose Wayne DAR Chapter Library Help Day for Prospective Members Interested in Joining DAR
November 2, 2016, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.,  Allen County Public Library, The Genealogy Center, 900 Library Plaza, Fort Wayne, Indiana.

Mary Penrose Wayne DAR Chapter Meeting & Program
November 12, 2016, 1:00 p.m., The History Center, Shields Room, 302 E. Berry Street, Fort Wayne, Indiana. David Dew is presenting: "John Glover."

***************************************
Driving Directions to the Library
***************************************
Wondering how to get to the library?  Our location is 900 Library Plaza, Fort Wayne, Indiana, in the block bordered on the south by Washington Boulevard, the west by Ewing Street, the north by Wayne Street, and the east by the Library Plaza, formerly Webster Street.  We would enjoy having you visit the Genealogy Center.

To get directions from your exact location to 900 Library Plaza, Fort Wayne, Indiana, visit this link at MapQuest:
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&addtohistory=&address=900%20Webster%20St&city=Fort%20Wayne&state=IN&zipcode=46802%2d3602&country=US&geodiff=1

>From the South
Exit Interstate 69 at exit 302.  Drive east on Jefferson Boulevard into downtown. Turn left on Ewing Street. The Library is one block north, at Ewing Street and Washington Boulevard.

Using US 27:
US 27 turns into Lafayette Street. Drive north into downtown. Turn left at Washington Boulevard and go five blocks. The Library will be on the right.

>From the North
Exit Interstate 69 at exit 312.  Drive south on Coldwater Road, which merges into Clinton Street.  Continue south on Clinton to Washington Boulevard. Turn right on Washington and go three blocks. The Library will be on the right.

>From the West
Using US 30:
Drive into town on US 30.  US 30 turns into Goshen Ave. which dead-ends at West State Blvd.  Make an angled left turn onto West State Blvd.  Turn right on Wells Street.  Go south on Wells to Wayne Street.  Turn left on Wayne Street.  The Library will be in the second block on the right.

Using US 24:
After crossing under Interstate 69, follow the same directions as from the South.

>From the East
Follow US 30/then 930 into and through New Haven, under an overpass into downtown Fort Wayne.  You will be on Washington Blvd. when you get into downtown.  Library Plaza will be on the right.

***************************************
Parking at the Library
***************************************
At the Library, underground parking can be accessed from Wayne Street. Other library parking lots are at Washington and Webster, and Wayne and Webster. Hourly parking is $1 per hour with a $7 maximum. ACPL library card holders may use their cards to validate the parking ticket at the west end of the Great Hall of the Library. Out of county residents may purchase a subscription card with proof of identification and residence. The current fee for an Individual Subscription Card is $70.

Public lots are located at the corner of Ewing and Wayne Streets ($1 each for the first two half-hours, $1 per hour after, with a $4 per day maximum) and the corner of Jefferson Boulevard and Harrison Street ($3 per day).

Street (metered) parking on Ewing and Wayne Streets. On the street you plug the meters 8am – 5pm, weekdays only.  It is free to park on the street after 5pm and on the weekends.

Visitor center/Grand Wayne Center garage at Washington and Clinton Streets. This is the Hilton Hotel parking lot that also serves as a day parking garage.  For hourly parking, 7am – 11 pm, charges are .50 for the first 45 minutes, then $1.00 per hour.  There is a flat $2.00 fee between 5pm and 11pm.

Genealogy Center Queries
The Genealogy Center hopes you find this newsletter interesting.  Thank you for subscribing.  We cannot, however, answer personal research emails written to the e-zine address.  The department houses a Research Center that makes photocopies and conducts research for a fee.

If you have a general question about our collection, or are interested in the Research Center, please telephone the library and speak to a librarian who will be glad to answer your general questions or send you a research center form.  Our telephone number is 260-421-1225.  If you’d like to email a general information question about the department, please email: Genealogy [at] ACPL.Info.

Publishing Note:
This electronic newsletter is published by the Allen County Public Library's Genealogy Center, and is intended to enlighten readers about genealogical research methods as well as inform them about the vast resources of the Allen County Public Library.  We welcome the wide distribution of this newsletter and encourage readers to forward it to their friends and societies.  All precautions have been made to avoid errors.  However, the publisher does not assume any liability to any party for any loss or damage caused by errors or omissions, no matter the cause.