Genealogy Gems: News from the Allen County Public Library at Fort Wayne, No. 198, August 31, 2020
From: Genealogy Gems (genealogygemsgenealogycenter.info)
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2020 21:40:04 -0400
Genealogy Gems: News from the Allen County Public Library at Fort Wayne
No. 198, August 31, 2020

In this issue:
*A Whole Lot of New Going On
*Robert Charles Anderson’s Mayflower Migration
*German Residential Records for Genealogists
*Technology Tip of the Month: Expert Tab
*PERSI Gems: Auctions
*History Tidbits: Victorian Death Customs
*Library Catalog Insider: Autocomplete
*Genealogy Center Virtual Programs
*Staying Informed about Genealogy Center Programming
*Genealogy Center Social Media
*Driving Directions to the Library
*Parking at the Library
*Genealogy Center Queries
*Publishing Note

***************************************
A Whole Lot of New Going On
by Curt B. Witcher
***************************************
There is a whole lot of new going on in the Genealogy Center! Just like our gardens, likely really producing wonderful fresh vegetables right now because of all the work we’ve put in to tending them since early spring, the work that the Genealogy Center team has put into learning new technologies and giving our customers more of what they want is producing some nice results.

Today, we debuted our new Genealogy Center webpage. Just key “GenealogyCenter.org” into any browser and you immediately will be taken to the new webpage. Our legacy website worked well enough, but the “engine” running the site was seven years old. (I know--can you believe it?!) Now if one dog year is equal to seven human years, then one technology year is equal to about twelve or more human years! So one could say that our legacy website was at least eighty-four years old! I guess one could say it was time for a refresh.

More good news about the new site--all of the valuable content on the legacy site has found a home on the new site. On the new site, we believe that it is easier to discover and get to the specific information for which you are searching. The search box for our catalog and the search box for our free databases are at the very top of the page on the right-hand side. This format allows you to immediately start searching for surnames, geographic locations, ethnic groups, religious organizations, military engagements, and the like in the catalog as well as in our free databases of nearly five million records and images.

The next layer of links are horizontal across the webpage. These links resemble a navigation bar that many of us were used to from the legacy site, and take one to a sections entitled Donations, Genealogy Community, Life Stories, and Pathfinders. If you never explored these links on the legacy site, I hope this new website entices you to do a little exploring. Under “Genealogy Community,” you will find brief biographies of all the Genealogy Center librarians, a link to an “Ask a Genealogy Librarian” form through which you can engage us about any family history related topic, a way to see previous editions of this e-zine as well as a way to subscribe, and links to all our social media. “Life Stories” continues to link to interesting recordings of individuals’ stories as well as lists of questions to ask when interviewing someone. And “Pathfinders” links one to our amazing collection of state and subject snapshots as well as our Allen County, Indiana guides.

Scrolling further down the new Genealogy Center website, you will notice large colored buttons along the left-hand side. These buttons are your gateway to more amazing resources.
**“Our Resources” takes you to a collection of links to our free databases and our on-site databases. From this collection of databases, you have access to tens of billions of records and images.
**“Family History Archives” provides you with links to amazing resources at FamilySearch--their online book collection of more than 500,000 titles, the billions of records, and their frequently overlooked but extremely valuable research wiki. In addition, there is a link to Linkpendium where one can find more than ten million genealogy links by U. S. locations and surnames worldwide. The archives are rounded-out with a link to WeRelate,org which resembles an online genealogy vertical file.
**“Our Services” provides information on our “Ask a Genealogy Librarian” feature, tours, consultations, forms, and Genealogy Center videos. If you have never seen all of our services lined-up in one place, you might be tempted to say, “Oh, my, I didn’t know all that was available!”
**“Plan Your Visit” provides details on our hours, our location, features of the area, and a link to our friends at Visit Fort Wayne,

One of the more exciting features of the new Genealogy Center webpage is that you can register for our virtual programs right from this page. The “Genealogy Events” section lists all of our events in chronological order with each event having a direct link for registration. We have terrific presenters sharing amazing amounts of information. I invite you to join us for our virtual programs. They are truly good times with lots of information.

Directly under the “Genealogy Events” section are links to our social media. I encourage you to follow and like us as we continue to help you find, preserve and present your family stories. I will be giving a virtual tour via Zoom of the new Genealogy Center website on September 8, 2020 at 2:30 p.m. EDT. I invite you to join us.

***************************************
Robert Charles Anderson’s Mayflower Migration
by John D. Beatty, CG
***************************************
We continue this month to look at books that celebrate the quadricentennial of the landing of the Mayflower in 1620. One of the most important is Robert Charles Anderson’s “Mayflower Migration: Immigrants to Plymouth, 1620,” (Boston: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2020). This work examines closely all of the known passengers on the Mayflower, much of which was already included in Anderson’s previous book, “The Pilgrim Migration: Immigrants to Plymouth Colony, 1620-1633,” published in 2004. However, it adds some new information, including recent discoveries of places of origin and other pieces of biographical information. For example, Isaac Allerton’s parentage and place of birth (East Bergholt, Suffolk) were still unknown when Anderson compiled his earlier volume, but recent discoveries published in 2019 by Caleb Johnson and others expand considerably what we now know of the English background of this passenger. Finding all of these important updates in a single volume makes it a highly worthwhile read.

Even more interesting is Anderson’s introductory essay, “Pathways to the Mayflower,” in which he analyzes the origins of the passengers and places them in “contingents.” In his 1945 book, “Saints and Strangers,” George Willison divided the passengers into two groups: “saints,” who were members of John Robinson’s Separatist congregation in Leiden, and “strangers” not affiliated with the church and recruited in England. Jeremy Bangs discovered more Leiden connections among the strangers group in his 2009 book, “Strangers and Pilgrims.” Many of the servants that sailed on the Mayflower, Bangs said, had been in Leiden in the 1610s. Anderson supports most of Bangs’s findings, demonstrating that the Leiden contingent was made up of many components: William Brewster and William Bradford from the vicinity of Scrooby, Nottinghamshire; Henry May and his half-brother William White from Wisbech, Cambridgeshire; several from Southeast Suffolk that include Isaac Allerton and John Carver; and others from various parts of England: Edward and Samuel Fuller from Redenhall, Norfolk; James Chilton and Moses Fletcher from Sandwich, Kent; Thomas Rogers from Watford, Northamptonshire; the Tilley brothers from Henlow, Bedfordshire; Edward Winslow from Droitwich, Worcestershire; and Francis Eaton from Bristol, among others. The “London” contingent, the so-called strangers, includes those not associated with Leiden who hailed also from various parts of England (William Mullins, John Alden, Christopher Martin, Richard Warren, Richard More, Stephen Hopkins, and John Billington). Anderson argues that Myles Standish, whom Bangs called a stranger, had associations with John Robinson and was likely in Leiden before 1620.

All of these details make fascinating reading as the newest wave of scholarship on the Pilgrims continues to place them into focus. The genealogical sketches in “Mayflower Migration” follow the familiar arrangement of Anderson’s other works in the “Great Migration” series. The one exception is that each passenger is introduced with William Bradford’s words about them from his manuscript “Of Plimouth Plantation.” Each sketch includes the passenger’s origin (if known), occupation, church membership, freeman status, education, offices, birth, death, marriage, children, associations, and comments, all fully referenced.

“Mayflower Migration” is a book genealogists will want to use alongside “Plymouth Migration” and the multi-volume “Mayflower Families in Five Generations” series, the so-called silver books. A number of other books about the Mayflower have appeared in print in recent years (Martyn Whittock’s “Mayflower Lives” and Rebecca Fraser’s “Mayflower: The Families, the Voyage, and the Founding of America”), but none are so well tailored for the genealogist as this one.

***************************************
German Residential Records for Genealogists
by Sara Allen
***************************************
Noted German genealogical expert Roger Minert has compiled another must-read book for German research, “German Residential Records for Genealogists: Tracking Your Ancestor from Place to Place in Germany” (Gc 929.13 M662ge). In the German Empire and historical German states, residential registration was enacted by the government as a way to keep track of strangers, foreigners and newcomers to each town, and it is still practiced in some parts of the world today. Since our German ancestors moved to different locations to find work, to visit family or marry, or to stay ahead of the law, we can expect that some of these records may include our family members. Records of these residential registrations for the nineteenth century do exist, some on microfilm at the Family History Library, some online, and some only in various archives, libraries, and government buildings in Europe. Minert provides us with a comprehensive overview of the records and their availability.

The book begins with background information on the history of residential registration in German lands during different time periods and an overview of the methodology used to compile this volume. In different localities, there were different laws about which inhabitants needed to register. He explains more about the registration of strangers, foreigners, newcomers, non-skilled single laborers, travelers, guests of residents, native residents, and more. The main portion of the book is comprised of chapters for each of the historical German states (including those located in modern-day France and Poland), from Anhalt to Wuerttemberg, which detail residential registration laws for that state and availability of those records, particularly focusing on the nineteenth century. There are appendices that detail the processes for writing letters overseas to access the records and visiting European archives in person. It should be noted that most of these German registration records have not been digitized or made available online at this time, but as the Family History Library (FHL) digitizes more microfilm, more continue to become available.

The chapter on the Duchy of Anhalt begins with the location of the state, followed by a history of residential registration in Anhalt, laws regarding registration, where to access the records for the towns, and examples of images of some of the registration records found. An image from the record book of persons arriving and departing from the town of Leps in 1852 is included as an example. This record book contains the registrant’s first and last name, status, home town, documents presented, name of employer, date of report, date of departure, date documentation was returned, destination and comments. This record book is filmed on FHL microfilm no. 1569835 and is cataloged as a “population register.” When Minert published the book in 2018, he noted that these records had not been digitized yet by FHL. As of August 2020, it appears that the Leps population register has been digitized but is only viewable in a Family History Center or affiliate. Images of the Gernrode register of 1861 and Coswig register of 1876 are also included as examples (both filmed by FHL).  For localities not filmed by the Family History Library, he suggests sending an inquiry to the archives of the town or city (Stadarchiv) closest to the known residence of the family. Each of the chapters on German states follows the same format as this chapter on Anhalt.

This is a useful book about a hitherto underutilized record type and should help those researchers seeking information about German ancestors. The book would be improved by a map showing the exact locations of the former Germanic states and more information about the archival system in Germany.

***************************************
Technology Tip of the Month: Expert Tab
by Kay Spears
***************************************
It is now time to turn our faces to Expert Tab. Welcome to Adobe Elements 2018 Expert Tab.

You know what this means don’t you? I can’t keep up with the years going by. There is now a 2020, and I’m still using 2018! Just so you know, every year Adobe releases a new version of Elements. Some of them have minor changes, and some of the releases have given us what we’ve asked for. It is my understanding that the 2016 version was one of the best. So, if you are using a version older than 2016, you might want to check out the differences. I suggest you Google “Adobe Elements” version comparisons and see what other people are saying.

Now on to the Expert Tab in Adobe Elements 2018. Whenever I use Elements, regardless of the version, I always open it in Expert. Expert is the closest you are going to get to Adobe’s Premiere Photoshop program. Usually that program comes with their Creative Suite, and depending on what you want in Creative Suite, it can be pretty pricey. But check out Adobe’s website; there are different deals for different programs. It is no longer as it was in by-gone days when you had to purchase a DVD package to install. Those were the days when all you wanted were InDesign, Photoshop, and Acrobat, but you ended up with extra programs that were never used. If this sounds familiar, you may raise your hand.

So, here we are staring at the Adobe Expert workspace. Where do we start? Well, we start with the tools. In my opinion, the entire Adobe program might be considered a tool…one big tool. And, that tool is what we use to make our photographs come to life. But we will start on a smaller scale with the Tools option, which should be on the left part of your work space. If it’s not there, go to Window and click on the drop-down. Make sure the word “Tools” is checked. Remember that, because sometimes one might accidentally close the Tools, and it behooves you not to panic or think you’ve broken Elements. Now, you know how to open it back up. You might wonder how I know this. All I can say is that there have been occasions through the years when I have panicked.

If you look at the Tools tool, you should notice that the tools are divided into six groups. Each group performs different functions, although sometimes they are interchangeable. The groups are: View, Select, Enhance, Draw, Modify, and Color. In each of these groups is a number of tools, and most of those tools have more than one option.

If you hold your cursor over each icon, a pop-up button appears that will tell you what each tool is. In the View group is the Zoom and Hand Tool; Select has all the Select tools; Enhance has the Eye Tool, Spot Healing Tool, Small Brush Tool, Clone Tool, Blur Tool, and Sponge Tool. In the Draw group are the Brush Tool, Eraser, Paint Bucket, Gradient, Color Picker, Shape, Text, and Pencil. In the Modify group we have: Crop, Recompose, Content Aware Move, and Straighten Tools. In the last group, Color, we have the Foreground and Background color palettes.

If you don’t see something in the list that you have in your version, don’t get too excited. Some versions have fewer and others more tools. Also, the Tools I listed are the default tools. Some of those tools have more than one tool hidden behind a tiny little arrow. In some of the older versions of Elements, some of the above tools were combined.

As we review these tools in future articles, you might stumble across a tool that’s not in your version. Sometimes it’s wise to upgrade, and sometimes it’s not. It all depends on what your own needs are. Once again, I suggest reading about the differences in the various versions.

Next article Adobe Elements 2018 Select Tools Group.

***************************************
PERSI Gems: Auctions
by Adam Barrone and Mike Hudson
***************************************
A Jun. 10, 2020 report by Roxanne Robinson in Forbes magazine tells us that online auctions have been pandemic proof while traditional retail has suffered.  This month, we ask you to consider the place of auctions (online and off) in the field of family and local history.

Genealogists cringe when they think of the possibility of memorabilia falling victim to careless discarding by those settling personal estates or cleaning house.  Our community of history-appreciating folks hasn’t a right to interfere with a stranger’s personal affairs, but opportunity knocks when historical goodies go on the auction block.

Be the eyes of your local genealogical society or library when browsing auction merchandise.  If you see books, documents, programs, directories, etc., with lots of local names, consider the availability of that information to family historians.  If you believe such printed merchandise would benefit researchers and the price is right, snap it up and offer it as a donation to your local society or library.  If a bit of recently-auctioned ephemera lands in the hands of a newsletter or journal editor, it might be published and eventually cited in the Periodical Source Index (PERSI).

When your auction fever abates, try a PERSI search here:

http://search.findmypast.com/search/periodical-source-index

Oh, to be a fly on the wall when these gavels went down:

Auctioneer Ronald Seifert finds $10,000 hidden in estate items, returns to owner, 1984
Hoosick Township (NY) Historical Society Newsletter, Jan. 2011

Baptist Society sheet social at Charles Lowe house notice, girls wrapped in sheets & auctioned, 1893
Basket Historical Society of the Upper Delaware Valley (NY), v.12n.5, Fal. 1996

Elmira Quick sold at auction, bought herself, age 78, 1899, NY
Mennisenk (Minisink Valley Historical Society, NY), v.24n.3, Win. 2009

Floor collapse during Mr. Crockett auction of Mr. Worthy furniture, 1825
Wiltshire (Eng.) Family History Society Journal, n.111, Oct. 2008

Hot-cross bun baked 172 years ago auction note, owner John Shepherd, c. 2002
Wakefield (Eng.) Kinsman, v.5n.4, Spr. 2002

Skipper C. Pederson of Trawler Acanta runs blockade, fish auction, 1915
Lincolnshire (Eng.) Family History Society Journal, v.18n.3, Aug. 2007

Small cracked plate brings 10,200 pounds at auction note, 1635, 2001
Coventry (Eng.) Family History Society Journal, v.4n.7, Sep. 2002

Soldier's skeletal remains reburied after being sent to auction, d. 1862, 2010
Civil War Times Illustrated, v.49n.2, Apr. 2010

Title of Lord of Wales fails to meet auction reserve price, news note, 2014
Ninnau:  The North American Welsh Newspaper, v.39n.5, Sep. 2014

Wives at auction in Nottingham cattle market, shilling and a pint of ale, news note, 1852 and 1855
Nottinghamshire (Eng.) Family History Society Journal, v.3n.12, Jun. 1982

***************************************
History Tidbits: Victorian Death Customs
by Allison DePrey Singleton
***************************************
In the midst of a global pandemic it may seem strange to touch on this topic, but we cannot escape death. As genealogists and historians, we study death: its causes, the styles of gravestones, and other morbid aspects that may make our family and friends question our sanity. Death remains an inherent part of historical research that relates to people. Although it has become a taboo subject with the passage of time, it was once embraced as a cultural norm. The Victorian Era brought about some fascinating death customs that we can explore.

During the Victorian Era, the average life expectancy was between 38.3 and 47.8. Death was commonplace. In fact, by 1900, 30% of children died before their fifth birthday. It was a part of everyday life on the farm. Many people raised animals for transportation, milk, and meat. The concept of going to the grocery store for everything would have been a foreign concept. When an animal was slaughtered, owners would use every possible part of the animal without wasting anything.

The death customs brought about during the Victorian Era began in earnest when Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom marked the death of her husband, Prince Albert, in 1861. She remained in deep mourning until her death in 1901, and her example set the tone for an era.

Victorian death customs varied by locality, tradition, financial ability, and personal preference. Many people sent funeral cards to family and friends when a loved one died. These were typically a collectable item, preserved in family albums. The custom of surrounding a coffin with flowers and sending flowers also began during this time.

Post-mortem photography become popular with the increased availability of cameras and studios. For many people, the post-mortem photograph may be the only one they had of a loved one. These photographs were sometimes called memento mori. Another way someone might mourn the loss of a loved one is with hair jewelry or art. Both were popular mediums for the living but also became a way to remember the dead with a lock of hair braided into something to wear or view.

The following are a few more fun tidbits about Victorian death customs. Funeral directors became the organizers of the funerals instead of bereaved families. Gravestones became more elaborate and large. Mirrors had to be covered and curtains closed. Families stopped the clocks in the house at the time when the loved one died. Pall bearers carried out the feet of the deceased first so they would not look back at the house and encourage someone else to join them. The colors, fabrics, and length of mourning time depended on the relationship of the person to the deceased.

Next time you are researching an ancestor who lived during the Victorian Era, learn more about the customs that surrounded their lives. These traditions shaped many of our ancestors into the people they became, and they were passed down through the years. Some of the Victorian death customs may even still be traditions your family follows today.

Sources and Further Reading:

19th Century Mourning. (n.d.). Retrieved August 20, 2020, from https://www.nmfh.org/exhibits/permanent-exhibits/19th-century-mourning
Dust to Dust: Celebrations of Death in Victorian England. (n.d.). Retrieved August 28, 2020, from https://www.jstor.org/stable/41298792
Hacker, J. (2010, April). Decennial Life Tables for the White Population of the United States, 1790-1900. Retrieved August 28, 2020, from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2885717/
House of Mourning - Victorian Mourning & Funeral Customs in the 1890s. (n.d.). Retrieved August 28, 2020, from http://www.victoriana.com/VictorianPeriod/mourning.htm
Institute of Medicine (US) Committee on Palliative and End-of-Life Care for Children and Their Families. (1970, January 01). PATTERNS OF CHILDHOOD DEATH IN AMERICA. Retrieved August 28, 2020, from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK220806/
Ruby, J. (1999). Secure the shadow: Death and photography in America. Cambridge, MA: MIT.

***************************************
Library Catalog Insider: Autocomplete
by Kasia Young
***************************************
This month we will show you how to take advantage of the autocomplete feature that is an integral part of our catalog.

What is “auto-completion,” you might ask? It is a searching feature that offers suggestions for search terms as a user enters text in a search box and is commonly implemented in web browsers and word processors.

There are many advantages to using this tool in the library catalog. First of all, it corrects search term spelling (specific titles, authors, etc.) and speeds up the searching process. But most importantly, it aids with topic formulation and search-term selection, which can be tricky at times.

Let’s get started!

Go to the library website www.acpl.info and locate the search box in the upper right corner of the screen. When you start typing your search term, a new box, with suggested search terms, will appear below.

First example:

If we type: “Fort Wayne city dir” into the search box, we get five suggested search terms to choose from:

1. Fort Wayne, Indiana, city directory
2. Fort Wayne, Indiana, city directory IN TITLE
3. Fort Wayne IN EVERYTHING
4. Anthony Wayne Institute (Fort Wayne, Ind.) IN EVERYTHING
5. News-sentinel (Fort Wayne, Ind.) IN EVERYTHING

When we pick the first suggestion from the list, we get 7 results, the first of them being:
R.L. Polk & Co. Fort Wayne, Indiana city directory.

When we pick the second option, IN TITLE, we only get 2 results, which are the exact title match: Fort Wayne, Indiana city directory.

The third option, gives us 3610 results, which are all instances of “Fort Wayne” in the library catalog.

Second example:

If we type: “Tennessee militiamen” into the search box, we get the following suggested search terms to choose from:

1. 1814 Court Martial of Tennessee militiamen
2. 1814 Court Martial of Tennessee militiamen IN TITLE
3. Tennessee militiamen, Execution of, 1815 IN EVERYTHING
4. Tennessee IN EVERYTHING
5. Tennessee SWAT IN EVERYTHING

In this example, the first and second suggestions give us the same book result: “1814 court martial of Tennessee militiamen by James L. Douthat (1993).

The third option, gives us 1 book result: “The case of the six mutineers, whose conviction and sentence were approved of by General Jackson, fairly stated: with a refutation of some of the falsehoods circulated on this subject (1828).

We hope that you will get to use this newfound trick in your next catalog search. Try it with family names and let us know how it improved your library catalog experience.

Happy searching!

September 9, 2020, 7P, “A New Look at Genealogy Center Resources” with Curt Witcher (Allen County Genealogical Society of Indiana sponsored program)
September 10, 2020, 6:30P, “Discovering Your Kentucky Ancestors” with Cheri Daniels
September 15, 2020, 2:30P, “Using Mortality Schedules in Your Research” with Cynthia Theusch
September 17, 2020, 6:30P, “Fireside Chat” with The Genealogy Center Staff
September 22, 2020, 2:30P, “A Dozen Ways to Jumpstart Your Research” with Juliana Szucs
September 24, 2020, 6:30P, “Vivid-Pix Newest Updates” with Rick Voight
September 29, 2020, 2:30P, “Exploring GenealogyBank” with NewsBank Staff

***************************************
Staying Informed about Genealogy Center Programming
***************************************
Do you want to know what we have planned? Are you interested in one of our events, but forget? We offer email updates for The Genealogy Center’s programming schedule.  Don’t miss out!  Sign up at http://goo.gl/forms/THcV0wAabB.

***************************************
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GenealogyCenter/
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/genealogycenter/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ACPLGenealogy
Blog: http://www.genealogycenter.org/Community/Blog.aspx
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/askacpl

***************************************
Driving Directions to the Library
***************************************
Wondering how to get to the library? Our location is 900 Library Plaza, Fort Wayne, Indiana, in the block bordered on the south by Washington Boulevard, the west by Ewing Street, the north by Wayne Street, and the east by the Library Plaza, formerly Webster Street. We would enjoy having you visit the Genealogy Center.

To get directions from your exact location to 900 Library Plaza, Fort Wayne, Indiana, visit this link at MapQuest:
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&addtohistory=&address=900%20Webster%20St&city=Fort%20Wayne&state=IN&zipcode=46802%2d3602&country=US&geodiff=1

>From the South
Exit Interstate 69 at exit 302. Drive east on Jefferson Boulevard into downtown. Turn left on Ewing Street. The Library is one block north, at Ewing Street and Washington Boulevard.

Using US 27:
US 27 turns into Lafayette Street. Drive north into downtown. Turn left at Washington Boulevard and go five blocks. The Library will be on the right.

>From the North
Exit Interstate 69 at exit 312. Drive south on Coldwater Road, which merges into Clinton Street.  Continue south on Clinton to Washington Boulevard. Turn right on Washington and go three blocks. The Library will be on the right.

>From the West
Using US 30:
Drive into town on US 30. US 30 turns into Goshen Ave. which dead-ends at West State Blvd.  Make an angled left turn onto West State Blvd. Turn right on Wells Street. Go south on Wells to Wayne Street. Turn left on Wayne Street. The Library will be in the second block on the right.

Using US 24:
After crossing under Interstate 69, follow the same directions as from the South.

>From the East
Follow US 30/then 930 into and through New Haven, under an overpass into downtown Fort Wayne. You will be on Washington Blvd. when you get into downtown. Library Plaza will be on the right.

***************************************
Parking at the Library
***************************************
At the Library, underground parking can be accessed from Wayne Street. Other library parking lots are at Washington and Webster, and Wayne and Webster. Hourly parking is $1 per hour with a $7 maximum. ACPL library card holders may use their cards to validate the parking ticket at the west end of the Great Hall of the Library. Out of county residents may purchase a subscription card with proof of identification and residence. The current fee for an Individual Subscription Card is $70.

Public lots are located at the corner of Ewing and Wayne Streets ($1 each for the first two half-hours, $1 per hour after, with a $4 per day maximum) and the corner of Jefferson Boulevard and Harrison Street ($3 per day).

Street (metered) parking on Ewing and Wayne Streets. On the street you plug the meters 8am – 5pm, weekdays only. The meters take credit cards and charge at a rate of $1/hour. Street parking is free after 5 p.m. and on the weekends.

Visitor center/Grand Wayne Center garage at Washington and Clinton Streets. This is the Hilton Hotel parking lot that also serves as a day parking garage. For hourly parking, 7am – 11 pm, charges are .50 for the first 45 minutes, then $1.00 per hour. There is a flat $2.00 fee between 5 p.m. and 11 p.m.

Genealogy Center Queries
The Genealogy Center hopes you find this newsletter interesting. Thank you for subscribing. We cannot, however, answer personal research emails written to the e-zine address. The department houses a Research Center that makes photocopies and conducts research for a fee.

If you have a general question about our collection, or are interested in the Research Center, please telephone the library and speak to a librarian who will be glad to answer your general questions or send you a research center form. Our telephone number is 260-421-1225. If you’d like to email a general information question about the department, please email: Genealogy [at] ACPL.Info.

Publishing Note
This electronic newsletter is published by the Allen County Public Library's Genealogy Center, and is intended to enlighten readers about genealogical research methods as well as inform them about the vast resources of the Allen County Public Library. We welcome the wide distribution of this newsletter and encourage readers to forward it to their friends and societies. All precautions have been made to avoid errors. However, the publisher does not assume any liability to any party for any loss or damage caused by errors or omissions, no matter the cause.