Genealogy Gems: News from the Allen County Public Library at Fort Wayne, No. 203, January 31, 2020
From: Genealogy Gems (genealogygemsgenealogycenter.info)
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2021 21:07:59 -0500
Genealogy Gems: News from the Allen County Public Library at Fort Wayne
No. 203, January 31, 2020

In this issue:
*The Importance of Ethnic Origins—Black History Month and Beyond
*“The Atlas of the Irish Revolution”
*World War I Transportation
*Technology Tip of the Month: Adobe Elements 2018, the Enhance Tools
*PERSI Gems: Gloves & Mittens
*History Tidbits: “I’ll pencil you in:” Dance Cards
*Library Catalog Insider: Label Searches in WorldCat
*Genealogy Center’s February Programs
*Indiana Genealogical Society 2021 Annual Conference
*Staying Informed about Genealogy Center Programming
*Genealogy Center Social Media
*Driving Directions to the Library
*Parking at the Library
*Genealogy Center Queries
*Publishing Note

***************************************
The Importance of Ethnic Origins—Black History Month and Beyond
by Curt B. Witcher
First, it is my aspiration that the first month of 2021 has been a safe and healthy one for you. As January wanes, so to wanes our by-appointment-only protocols. Beginning on February 1, 2021, the Genealogy Center will be open for walk-in researchers. We will still have our computers and work-stations physically distanced; we will still disinfect every area after each use; and we are still requiring everyone—staff and customers alike—to wear masks while in the Genealogy Center. Now, though, you can use our deep collection and take advantage of our team’s expertise whenever you feel the need to look for more pieces of your family story. I look forward to seeing some of you in the very near future.

Whether just starting your journey of discovering your families’ stories or continuing a decades-long endeavor of pursuing, preserving, and presenting your families’ records and histories, many appreciate the importance of creating robust contexts for our ancestors. One of the most important contexts is an ethnic context. Understanding the laws, norms, organizations, publications, churches, institutions, and records as they relate to a particular ethnic group is critical to our endeavors.

In previous columns, we have lauded the value of the “Harvard Encyclopedia of American Ethnic Groups” for gathering meaningful history and developing strategies for finding information. Every ethnic group that touched toe in the United States has a descriptive section in this encyclopedic tome. Periods of immigrations, places of settlement, organizations started or joined, religious preferences and types of employment are among the data provided. In addition, the bibliography that accompanies each section provides one with specific sources to gather more information and records about the particular group.

In increasing instances, the “Harvard Encyclopedia of American Ethnic Groups” is nicely complemented by state ethnic compilations. We definitely should take full advantage of the more geographically precise data these compilations provide. The Indiana Historical Society has provided researchers with “Peopling Indiana: The Ethnic Experience.” It mirrors the Harvard publication, only specific to Indiana, which means “Peopling” will contain considerably more information about each ethnic group. "Discovering the Peoples of Michigan" series contains more than two dozen publications on specific ethnic groups that settled in Michigan in addition to several general works of note like the "Field Guide to Ethnic Groups in West Michigan." "They Chose Minnesota: A Survey of the State's Ethnic Groups" is more than six hundred pages filled with information on the Star-of-the-North state's ethnic groups. One could find similar ethnic publications for most states in the country.

PERSI, the Periodical Source Index, is yet another terrific way to search for information on a particular ethnic group in a specific area. So many worthwhile articles have been written by local and state genealogical and historical societies. These works can really boost our knowledge and provide new sources for exploration. Further on in this issue, as we have done for many dozens of issues, you can find a link to the free version of PERSI you can search. There is really no reason not to give it a try.

We are very pleased to have four very robust programs for Black History Month this year. In the following four sections you will find the titles, dates and times, descriptions as well as brief biographies for each presentation. If you are exploring African American stories in your family, you will benefit greatly from these offerings. If you are pursuing research on other ethnic groups, you likely will also benefit from hearing the strategies, sources, and histories highlighted. A link to each program can be found the “Staying Informed about Genealogy Center Programming” section of this ezine.

Genealogy Center Black History Month Offerings:

Title: Your Results Are In! Using DNA in Your African American Research