Genealogy Gems: News from the Allen County Public Library at Fort Wayne, No. 210, August 31, 2021
From: Genealogy Gems (genealogygemsgenealogycenter.info)
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 22:05:10 -0400
Genealogy Gems: News from the Allen County Public Library at Fort Wayne
No. 210, August 31, 2021

In this issue:
*Lifelong Learning Affords Many Opportunities
*New Volumes on German Emigrants
*Matricula Online
*Technology Tip of the Month: Adobe Elements continued, Version 2018, Enhance Group—Sponge, Burn, Dodge
*PERSI Gems: Pumpkin Spice
*Library Catalog Insider: Finding Materials Written in Another Language
*History Tidbits: Naming of Hurricanes
*Genealogy Center’s September Programs
*Staying Informed about Genealogy Center Programming
*Genealogy Center Social Media
*Driving Directions to the Library
*Parking at the Library
*Genealogy Center Queries
*Publishing Note

***************************************
Lifelong Learning Affords Many Opportunities
by Curt B. Witcher
***************************************
Learning--continuous, lifelong learning--that's what we do as we endeavor to discover our family stories. There are so many avenues for discovery, and so many opportunities to build upon what we know by listening to the experiences of others and being open to new perspectives. Sometimes I believe we are hesitant to build upon success and proven strategies, thinking perhaps that we should leave good enough alone. However, we find more of our stories and the individuals who lived those stories if we are lifelong learners.

I would offer that to truly embrace the genealogical proof standard, we need to commit to lifelong discovery. Let’s look at that standard’s five elements again.
***reasonably exhaustive research
***complete and accurate source citations
***analysis and correlation of the collected information
***resolution of any conflicting evidence
***a soundly reasoned, coherently written conclusion

Just to even approach reasonably exhaustive research, we need to commit to reasonably exhaustive searching. We need to commit to going well beyond hatched, matched and dispatched to explore for property, education, military, court, and church records as well as nearly innumerable letters, personal papers, and diaries. Completely citing our sources and documenting our work necessarily implies we know how cite in a way that a complete stranger can retrace our steps and, as much as possible, lay hands on the same evidence we gathered.

Analyzing collected data happens more richly and completely when we observe how others have analyzed their accumulated information. How many times have we said, and heard others endorse the idea of having “another pair of eyes” on a particular dilemma, challenge or puzzle. And how times have we found that strategy works. The same is true for our family history work. That same approach works in resolving conflicts we find in data we have and stories we have been told about our family’s history, and it definitely works in writing sound, reasoned, coherent, and truthful accounts of our families’ stories.

It has often been said that good writers read tirelessly. They learn from what others have done. I believe the same concept applies to good family historians. We are tireless in learning how others approach discovery, documentation, and dissemination. I strongly encourage you in the last third of 2021 to take fuller advantage of learning opportunities all around you, and particularly those offered by the Genealogy Center of the Allen County Public Library. We continue to offer two virtual programs each week. Take advantage of the fullness of these opportunities.

Just this afternoon, more than 150 individuals listened to an informative presentation by Julie Huffman, who walked us through the online offerings of the Los Angeles Public Library. I bet, though, there were at least a few individuals who took a quick look at the title of the presentation, “Genealogy Resources at The Los Angeles Public Library,” and thought, “Nope, my research doesn’t take me to that corner of the world. This one is not for me.” Yet, Julie disclosed some amazing, unique resources found on the website of that great library that one can take advantage of from anywhere in the world with an Internet connection. For those committed to lifelong learning, Julie’s experience and strategies had much to offer.

Take a good look at the Genealogy Center’s September’s virtual offerings, both further on in this ezine and on our website, GenealogyCenter.org. In the near future, our very robust Family History Month offerings will be available for review and sign-up. And if you can’t make a virtual presentation when it’s live, take advantage of the large number of these presentations that get recorded and live on the Genealogy Center’s YouTube channel. To access our YouTube videos, simply go to GenealogyCenter.org and scroll down to the very bottom of the first page. There you will not only find a link to our YouTube videos but also links to our Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram accounts. We have more than ninety program recordings for you to enjoy on YouTube. And even if you caught the program live, it’s amazing what can be gleaned the second time around.

So, welcome autumn when it comes later in September by doing a bit of our own changing. Change from doing what we’ve always done to being truly lifelong learners.

***************************************
New Volumes on German Emigrants
by John D. Beatty, CG
***************************************
Finding the place of origin in Germany for an immigrant can be one of the most vexing tasks for their descendants wishing to conduct research in Europe. For those whose ancestors hailed from the southwestern German states of Baden and Wuerttemberg, the traditional research sources have been Trudy Schenk’s “Wuerttemberg Emigration Index,” published in eight volumes in the 1980s (Gc 929.13 Sch17w) and Cornelia Schrader-Muggenthaler’s “Baden Emigration Book” (Gc 929.13 Sch6B), published in a single volume. Both works draw from passport applications from persons wishing to leave those areas and typically list the town of origin.

Two new sets of emigration books under the authorship of Friedrich R. Wollmershauser provide a greatly expanded index of emigrants from those areas using previously untapped newspaper sources. “Emigrants from the Kingdom of Wurttemberg before 1850” (Gc 943.46 Em44a, 2 volumes) includes lists of emigrants and absentees from Wuerttemberg and surrounding regions from 1785 to 1815, as well as other later lists. Arranged alphabetically by emigrant, the work includes the name along with additional notes, such as occupation and reasons for emigration, which were included in the official announcements by local authorities. The volumes list the place of origin for the emigrant, usually a town name and an abbreviation for the district that corresponds to a key in the front. Wollmershauser’s team of researchers used newspaper advertisements from more than a dozen towns that are included in the entries of each emigrant, which were derived, in turn, from official announcements. The compiler cautions in the Preface that there may be errors of spelling from the original newspapers as well as wrong pieces of information supplied by arrested persons. Nevertheless, thousands of names appear in the two volumes. While most of the entries are from the nineteenth century, there are occasional records from the  late eighteenth century. Each of the volumes has a full alphabetical sequence of names, with the first volume focusing on the years 1785 to 1815 and the second from 1816 to 1835.

Wollmershauser’s second work, “Emigrants from the Grandduchy of Baden before 1872” (Gc 943.46 Em44, 4 volumes), follows a similar format and is also based on records gleaned from newspapers. The overwhelming number of these date from the nineteenth century, but there are a few emigrants from Karlsruhe and Freiburg from the late eighteenth century. Each volume has a full alphabetical sequence and a differing scope. Volume One is devoted to emigrants found in the newspapers in the Breisgau region; Volume Two from the Odenwald and Bauland regions; Volume Three from the Ortenau region; and Volume Four from the area around Rastatt. Each contains a Preface written in both English and German, explaining how it was assembled with lists of the evaluated newspapers and the public announcements by district authorities that resulted in the newspaper notices.

These two sets represent invaluable tools for investigating German immigrants from this part of the former German Empire. Finding a place of origin should allow you to use such tools as Archion (www.archion.de) from Protestant church records and Matricula Online (https://data.matricula-online.eu/en/) to find church records that may provide further listings of your family.

***************************************
Matricula Online
by Sara Allen
***************************************
Matricula Online is an exciting website, freely accessible without a subscription, consisting of digitized copies of original Catholic (and a few Protestant) church record books from Central Europe (https://data.matricula-online.eu/en/). The coverage is for much of Austria and Luxembourg, large swathes of the Catholic states of Germany and Slovenia, and a few parishes in Poland, Serbia, Italy, and Bosnia. This site is regularly updated as more parishes come online. One important caveat is that the records are not indexed by personal name at this time. Some record books do have an index at the front or back of the volume, and occasionally there are index volumes within a set of record books, but most record books will have to be browsed page by page to find the correct entry.

You can view the basic Matricula website in English, German, Slovene, or Serbian languages and can make your selection at the bottom right hand corner of the homepage. There are several ways to access the records on this site; one of the easiest is to click on the option called “Fonds.” This brings you to a menu with the list of countries currently on Matricula. Select the country of interest, and the names of participating archives in that country will be listed. Select the appropriate archives and choose the correct town or parish. Records for that parish will be arranged by register type (baptism, marriage, death, family registers) and date. Once you select the record book of interest, you will be able to page through from beginning to end, or skip ahead pages as needed. The pages from the record books are presented as high-quality scans; however, there is no download or save option. You are encouraged to contact the owning archives for copies. You can also use screen-capture or a snipping tool to capture the page.
For those who do not read the language (most of these church books are written in German with headings in Latin), there are several ways you can improve your usage of these records. One way is to familiarize yourself with reading German Gothic Script. FamilySearch has a number of resources on their Wiki for this at: https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Germany_Handwriting. You can practice by reading through the record books for your family village, learning to read the priest’s handwriting, and familiarizing yourself with the format of the entries and the common given names and surnames in the village. In some of these countries, the family’s house number (address) was included in the church records. If so, that may help you to track your family; however, when a new family shows up under that house number, you will need to figure out where your family moved.

Some other helps are available to researchers using these records. There are Facebook groups for researching in other countries and genealogy document translation groups. For Slovenian researchers, there is a Facebook group called “Slovenian Genealogy (Genealogy 2000)” whose members will translate individual Slovenian church record entries for you, limited to one request per day. Utilize those groups for help when you get stuck. Another tricky point is that many villages did not have their own church, so you will need to locate the correct parish nearby where villagers would attend church. The Slovenian Facebook group will help those seeking Slovenian parish information. For Germany, the Meyers Gazetteer (in print or online at: https://www.meyersgaz.org/) will indicate the parish church for each village listed, as will Kevan Hansen’s “Map Guide to German Parish Registers” series in many volumes, which is more user-friendly but not online.  Austrian parish information is on the Genteam website (www.Genteam.at).

 I am having a wonderful time searching for my Slovenian ancestors’ church records on Matricula. I encourage you to give Matricula a try also!

***************************************
Technology Tip of the Month: Adobe Elements continued, Version 2018, Enhance Group—Sponge, Burn, Dodge
by Kay Spears
***************************************
We are about to wrap up our Enhance Group Tools and move on, but first (or should I say last), I am going to talk about the Sponge, Burn, Dodge group within the Enhance Group. If you have an older version, they are housed in a drop-down icon. If you have a newer version, they open up on the bottom of Elements workspace. The icons look like a sponge, a lollipop, and a hand giving the ok signal. I’m sure somewhere in the history of photography those little thumbnail icons meant something, but I don’t know what that would be. Sounds like a Google project for someone who is not me.

This group of Enhance tools are designed more for retouching photographs than for restoring them. They are great for glamour shots or for making that daisy just a little bit more yellow. They all “selectively” enhance, or manipulate, a specific area of a photograph. I have selected a close up of a face to experiment with.

To get started, remember what I always say: never work on the original photograph, always work on a copy. Open your image. We are also going to add a neutral layer to work on. Go to Layer>New. This will open up a dialog box. Name the Layer; I called mine Neutral. While you are still in the Dialog box in Mode, pick Overlay. Change the Opacity to 50%, and check the box that says: “Fill with Overlay neutral color (50% gray).” Click OK. The “fill with overlay…” appears after you select Overlay. You should now see two layers in your Layer Palette: a thumbnail of your image and the new layer we just created. One more thing, if you were really doing this properly, you would also make a duplicate layer of the image. Then you would have three layers. Now make sure that your Neutral Layer is the one you are working on by clicking on it. Go to the Tools and select the Sponge, Burn, Dodge group, then specifically Burn. There is a text pop-up box that tells you which is which, but my eyes are seeing an OK hand.

Burn. The Burn Tool darkens select areas of the image. For all of these tools, you want to start at a really low exposure percent, and gradually build. You will need a soft brush, and change the size according to the area you want to adjust. And, we always start with Midtones. In my photograph, I am going to start to enhance the shadows I see on the face and under the chin. Now, hold down your left clicker on your mouse and drag over the area you want to enhance. You should start to see the selected area you are painting darken. You can click your layer on and off to see what you are doing. Experiment.

Dodge. The Dodge Tool lightens or makes brighter selected areas of the image. To me, the Dodge Tool looks like a lollipop (it’s all about food). As with the Burn tool, you should begin with a low exposure, a soft brush, and Midtones. Find something on your photograph you would like to highlight: hair, nose, eyes. You use the same mouse action as before. Experiment.

Sponge. At last, something that looks like what it is. The sponge tool is all about color, either increasing the saturation or decreasing it. Maybe you want to make a jacket redder or eyes bluer. This would be the tool for you. Once again, pick your soft brush, but this time you will pick either Saturate or Desaturate. The Flow Rate is actually the strength of the effect, and I advise starting low. Use the same Mouse action as before. Experiment. The Sponge tool is not my favorite in this group.

And now we are done with the Enhance Tools. My advice: experiment, and have fun. In the next article we will be moving on to the Draw Tools.

***************************************
PERSI Gems: Pumpkin Spice
by Adam Barrone and Mike Hudson
***************************************
The weather in Fort Wayne is beginning to moderate as we inch our way to the autumn season. Forecasters called some of our summer conditions oppressive, but we fared much better than our neighbors to the west and anticipate a good harvest and a comfortable fall. We look forward to corn mazes, football, fresh local produce, hay rides, haunted houses, changing colors, cool breezes, fire pits, high school marching bands, and the aroma of cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, allspice, and ginger.

As our cafes, bakeries, and markets fill with the scent of pumpkin spice, we consider the headline of an article indexed in the Periodical Source Index (PERSI):  “How to Spice Up Your Family History”. Gregory Kinal’s piece (cited below in the Niagara Co. Gen. Soc. Newsletter) encourages family historians to include in our writing a multitude of factual details, excerpts from journals and contemporary newspaper reports, family folklore, funny stories, descriptions of life and culture in the old country, photos, sketches, personal experiences, and the recipe for grandma’s apple pie.

We hope that, once you’ve spiced up your family history, you will take measures to preserve your writing by sharing it. Among the recipients of your writing should be family members, libraries, and editors of local or regional genealogical and historical publications. We at PERSI work to help researchers find family histories and local records published in serials. Try a search here:

http://search.findmypast.com/search/periodical-source-index

Some tales of pumpkin and spice:

A. S. Kelley gave food to Jayhawkers who threatened his baby with a pumpkin, n.d.
Searcy County (AR) Ancestor Information Exchange, v.21n.3, Dec. 2011

Czech savors and flavors, use of herbs & spices
News of the Czech Center (TX), v.3n.3, Fal. 1998

Earthquake overlooked, but pumpkins make news, 1896
Farmer City (IL) Mirror, v.4n.1, Jan. 1993

Lowell Cummins re 18-cent cinnamon rolls, 1930s, OH, FL
Bend of the River (OH), v.33n.10, Nov. 2005

Marion Pyle's canned spiced peaches finally opened after 38 years, 1904, IN
Fountain County (IN) Genealogy, v.16n.4, 2010

Mozart brand pumpkin label and photo of pumpkins at canning factory, n.d.
Pickaway (OH) Quarterly, v.49n.2, Sum. 2009

New Bremen giant pumpkin growers make world's largest pumpkin pie, 2010
Towpath (New Bremen Historical Association, OH), Jan. 2011

Origin of Spam spiced ham and pork product, 1936
History Magazine (NY), v.6n.5, Jul. 2005

Spicing up your family history
Niagara County (NY) Genealogical Society Newsletter, v.20n.2, Apr. 1998

***************************************
Library Catalog Insider: Finding Materials Written in Another Language
by Kasia Young
***************************************
Did you know that The Genealogy Center collects materials in languages other than English?
This month, we will show you how to find materials written in another language. Let us get started!

Begin by accessing The Genealogy Center’s website at https://acpl.lib.in.us/genealogy and type your search query. We recommend that after you click FIND and get the results list, you select “Genealogy” from the BRANCH facet.

For example: Hesse (Germany) yields 139 results in the library system as a whole, 121 of which are in The Genealogy Center.

Next, scroll down to the LANGUAGE facet to see what languages are available for your query. To see the full list, select “More…”

For example: Hesse (Germany) yields 47 items in English and 78 in German; next select German to see the German-language materials.

To easily move through the results list, select the first item on the list to see the full catalog view, then use the “Next result” navigation bar to move on to the next item. To return to the full list view, click “Search results”.

***************************************
History Tidbits: Naming of Hurricanes
By Allison DePrey Singleton
***************************************
Since we are the midst of hurricane season, it would be interesting to look at the history of naming the hurricanes. When looking at the major hurricanes that have pummeled the coasts of the United States, there was a time when the hurricanes were named after a place or time period. It was not until 1953 that the United States began naming the storms after people. To be precise, hurricanes in the Eastern North Pacific were named after women until 1978, the same year as the march for passage of the Equal Rights Amendment began. Not until 1979 were the storms in the Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico named for both sexes.

The reasoning behind naming the storms is to make them less confusing. One name can be used to communicate to large groups of people in multiple places. Initially, hurricanes were named for the place they struck and caused the worst damage, such as Huracan San Calixto, Carolina Hurricane of 1713, Hurricane San Agustin of 1772, and The Charleston Hurricane of 1797. Evidence suggests that some hurricanes were also named for the saint’s day on which they occurred. An Australian meteorologist began naming tropical storms after women in the 1800s. Eventually, this practice became more widespread and was used by the U.S. military during World War II to track storms. By the early 1950s, the U.S. began using the phonetic alphabet to name storms, but it abandoned this practice when a new international alphabet was introduced.

The storms in the Atlantic, Eastern North Pacific, and Central North Pacific were originally named by the National Hurricane Center. They are now named by the World Meteorological Organization. Six lists are used in rotation and are updated with new names as needed each year. If more than 21 storms occur in a calendar year, the names will be taken from an alternative list.

Some storms cannot be forgotten. The cost of the storms in human lives and materials can leave communities reeling. When a catastrophic storm does hit, the name of the storm is retired. There will never be another Sandy, Katrina, Andrew, or Harvey. These storm names can evoke fear and sadness that does not need to be replicated by using the same name again.

Further Reading and Sources:
Chenoweth, Michael. “A Reassessment of Historical Atlantic Basin Tropical Cyclone Activity, 1700–1855.” Climatic Change 76, no. 1-2 (2006): 169–240. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10584-005-9005-2.
“Hurricanes in History.” NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER and CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER. Accessed August 30, 2021. https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/outreach/history/.
Ludlum, David. Early American Hurricanes, 1492-1870. American Meteorological Soc., 1963.
Skilton, Liz. Tempest Hurricane Naming and American Culture. Louisiana State University Press, 2019.
Tannehill, Ivan Ray. Hurricanes; Their Nature and History. Princeton University Press, 1956.
“Tropical Cyclone Names.” NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER and CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER. Accessed August 30, 2021. https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutnames.shtml#atl.
“Tropical Cyclone Naming.” World Meteorological Organization, April 14, 2021. https://public.wmo.int/en/our-mandate/focus-areas/natural-hazards-and-disaster-risk-reduction/tropical-cyclones/Naming.

***************************************
Genealogy Center’s September Programs
***************************************
The Genealogy Center continues its offerings of virtual programs throughout the month of September with Tuesday 2:30 p.m. EDT and Thursday 6:30 p.m. EDT offerings every week.

*September 2, 2021, 6:30 p.m. EDT: “Surprised by Your Ethnicity Estimate?” with Sara Allen -  https://acpl.libnet.info/event/5549168
*September 7, 2021, 2:30 p.m. EDT: “‘History at Your Fingertips’: A Guide to Hoosier State Chronicles and Indiana Memory” with Justin Clark - https://acpl.libnet.info/event/5536574
*September 9, 2021, 6:30 p.m. EDT: “Moving Beyond Hit or Miss Genealogy to a Genealogical Plan” with Pat Stamm - https://acpl.libnet.info/event/5536967
*September 14, 2021, 2:30 p.m. EDT: “Genealogical Research in Colonial New England” with John Beatty - https://acpl.libnet.info/event/5534860
*September 16, 2021, 6:30 p.m. EDT: “Making Your Family Legacy Permanent” with Thomas Visco - https://acpl.libnet.info/event/5534866
*September 21, 2021, 2:30 p.m. EDT: “Genealogy Research in the New Orleans City Archives” with Amanda Fallis - https://acpl.libnet.info/event/5555210
*September 23, 2021, 6:30 p.m. EDT: “Fireside Chat: The Importance of Social History in Genealogy” with Allison Singleton and Elizabeth Hodges - https://acpl.libnet.info/event/5546606
*September 28, 2021, 2:30 p.m. EDT: “Creating Your Family Photo Archive” with Elizabeth Hodges - https://acpl.libnet.info/event/5546618
*September 30, 2021, 6:30 p.m. EDT: “Finding Ancestors Without Going in Circles: The WANDER Research Method” with Amy Johnson Crow - https://acpl.libnet.info/event/5546655

Please register in advance for each program.

***************************************
Staying Informed about Genealogy Center Programming
***************************************
Do you want to know what we have planned? Are you interested in one of our events, but forget? We offer email updates for The Genealogy Center’s programming schedule.  Don’t miss out!  Sign up at http://goo.gl/forms/THcV0wAabB.

***************************************
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GenealogyCenter/
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/genealogycenter/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ACPLGenealogy
Blog: http://www.genealogycenter.org/Community/Blog.aspx
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/askacpl

***************************************
Driving Directions to the Library
***************************************
Wondering how to get to the library? Our location is 900 Library Plaza, Fort Wayne, Indiana, in the block bordered on the south by Washington Boulevard, the west by Ewing Street, the north by Wayne Street, and the east by the Library Plaza, formerly Webster Street. We would enjoy having you visit the Genealogy Center.

To get directions from your exact location to 900 Library Plaza, Fort Wayne, Indiana, visit this link at MapQuest:
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&addtohistory=&address=900%20Webster%20St&city=Fort%20Wayne&state=IN&zipcode=46802%2d3602&country=US&geodiff=1

>From the South
Exit Interstate 69 at exit 302. Drive east on Jefferson Boulevard into downtown. Turn left on Ewing Street. The Library is one block north, at Ewing Street and Washington Boulevard.

Using US 27:
US 27 turns into Lafayette Street. Drive north into downtown. Turn left at Washington Boulevard and go five blocks. The Library will be on the right.

>From the North
Exit Interstate 69 at exit 312. Drive south on Coldwater Road, which merges into Clinton Street.  Continue south on Clinton to Washington Boulevard. Turn right on Washington and go three blocks. The Library will be on the right.

>From the West
Using US 30:
Drive into town on US 30. US 30 turns into Goshen Ave. which dead-ends at West State Blvd.  Make an angled left turn onto West State Blvd. Turn right on Wells Street. Go south on Wells to Wayne Street. Turn left on Wayne Street. The Library will be in the second block on the right.

Using US 24:
After crossing under Interstate 69, follow the same directions as from the South.

>From the East
Follow US 30/then 930 into and through New Haven, under an overpass into downtown Fort Wayne. You will be on Washington Blvd. when you get into downtown. Library Plaza will be on the right.

***************************************
Parking at the Library
***************************************
At the Library, underground parking can be accessed from Wayne Street. Other library parking lots are at Washington and Webster, and Wayne and Webster. Hourly parking is $1 per hour with a $7 maximum. ACPL library card holders may use their cards to validate the parking ticket at the west end of the Great Hall of the Library. Out of county residents may purchase a subscription card with proof of identification and residence. The current fee for an Individual Subscription Card is $85.

Public lots are located at the corner of Ewing and Wayne Streets ($1 each for the first two half-hours, $1 per hour after, with a $4 per day maximum) and the corner of Jefferson Boulevard and Harrison Street ($3 per day).

Street (metered) parking on Ewing and Wayne Streets. On the street you plug the meters 8am – 5pm, weekdays only. The meters take credit cards and charge at a rate of $1/hour. Street parking is free after 5 p.m. and on the weekends.

Visitor center/Grand Wayne Center garage at Washington and Clinton Streets. This is the Hilton Hotel parking lot that also serves as a day parking garage. For hourly parking, 7am – 11 pm, charges are .50 for the first 45 minutes, then $1.00 per hour. There is a flat $2.00 fee between 5 p.m. and 11 p.m.

Genealogy Center Queries
The Genealogy Center hopes you find this newsletter interesting. Thank you for subscribing. We cannot, however, answer personal research emails written to the e-zine address. The department houses a Research Center that makes photocopies and conducts research for a fee.

If you have a general question about our collection, or are interested in the Research Center, please telephone the library and speak to a librarian who will be glad to answer your general questions or send you a research center form. Our telephone number is 260-421-1225. If you’d like to email a general information question about the department, please email: Genealogy [at] ACPL.Info.

Publishing Note
This electronic newsletter is published by the Allen County Public Library's Genealogy Center, and is intended to enlighten readers about genealogical research methods as well as inform them about the vast resources of the Allen County Public Library. We welcome the wide distribution of this newsletter and encourage readers to forward it to their friends and societies. All precautions have been made to avoid errors. However, the publisher does not assume any liability to any party for any loss or damage caused by errors or omissions, no matter the cause.